I want a laptop that will last me through games and grad school

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by asus123, Jan 3, 2021.

1. asus123

asus123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I plan on going back to school and I want a laptop that, ideally, has good portability and can play this generation of games on high/ultra. I will use the form but I will just specify here too. I NEED a numpad and a webcam at the top of the screen. I want battery life that lasts longer than 6 hours (5 if need be). I want an 8 core CPU (so Ryzen or 10875h) and I want at least an RTX 2070. Like I said, I want it to last several years so build quality and cooling are important (though this also feels like a no brainer). I wouldn't mind seeing options that are slightly worse or better. I am able to follow computer instructions and learn about things but I don't have too much intricate computer knowledge myself. I have several friends who do though so that kinda stuff wont be a problem.

1) What is your budget?

Ideally $1500, can go up to $2000 though

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Not really. My old ROG lasted 6 years, my Alienware lasted 5 (even though Dell cheated me out of an SSD), I heard Acer was bad but idk. To reiterate: not really.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

-gaming (There aren't too many games that interest me too often but I want to be able to play anything I Want)
    -having tons of apps and tabs open (like multiple Twitch streams, several youtube tabs, spotify, a movie, an emulator, a game, discord, FL Studio, Steam, video chat, etc all at the same time)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

in practice, it'll stay at home with me most the time, however I travel about twice a year for weeks at a time, and also, once I go to grad school I plan on taking this with me to campus for inbetween time and for note taking

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yes. Emulators (switch, gamecube), newer games every now and then (like Control, Doom Eternal, Back 4 Blood, GTA5), indie games, Rocket League, whatever my friends are playing and want me to hop in

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

6+ is comforting

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Huh? What kinda notebook doesn't have a pic I can see of it? I suppose as long as the webcam is at the top of the screen and there's a numpad, it's all good.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1080p minimum

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

I like matte screen more but wouldn't be opposed to experimentation

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No but a thin laptop is more appealing, overall it doesn't matter though since it'll be in a backpack if I'm ever carrying it around

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

1TB minimum, I'm fine with upgrading it myself

16) When are you buying this laptop?

As soon as I see something I love

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

At least 5+ years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

What? This is a weird question. This would be my primary device so that would suck. It wouldn't be the end of the world, I'll just use my old laptop or I'll use my phone.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

Depends on how good the deal is, leaning towards the latter though.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Going through your list, they ask 18 for extra warranty provisions. Take dell/alienware for example, you can pay for same day service of your device. IMO, for your device, I would look at a dell G series. Able to play games, they have a great warranty, and I think they are still user upgradeable. I have an inspiron 13 5000 2 in 1 I purchased in 2016 and it's still running perfectly.

3. asus123

asus123 Newbie

Reputations:
    I took a look after this post and saw this ( https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...aptop/spd/g-series-15-5500-laptop/gn5500ehwkh) and honestly that's not too bad, especially if other websites reporting the battery life at ~7 hours of wifi use as accurate. I saw another version that was more powerful (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...-dbbb-473c-a558-5aee073da6a6#features_section) and I'm kinda wondering if pulling the trigger for 1k more is worth it. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm def gonna keep the G5 15 on my list.

Main reason I'm in this dillema is that I saw a Legion 5 for like 1100 with RTX 2060 and Ryzen and the fact that Ryzen has performed better on every resource I bothered to look, I'm like, well I want a laptop with a good CPU and GPU, and if I have to pay more to have both that's fine in the long term.

kojack likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Dell G-Series has terrible thermals. The Legion 5 with Ryzen and RTX 2060 is among the best values out there. Just make sure to get either the 60 or 144 Hz screen as the 120 Hz option has poor color accuracy and response times.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you want great thermals get a desktop. I have a new thermaltake xaser III case I am installing a liquid cooled system into. NO thermal throttling then. If I want to game, I will use that. My laptops are for work, travelling and relaxing.

OP. I have had AMD processor based systems in the past and intel was just better imo. I have always stuck with intel, and always will because they have never failed me and provide me with consistent performance always. NO matter what processor family I have been using. YMMV.

6. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Dell G5/G7 are actually pretty decent from my experience, but the Lenovo also seems like a good buy with decent battery life and specs as @saturnotaku mentioned. The G3 is the one that's horrid thermals wise.

kojack, both AMD/Intel have had their ups and downs, I wouldn't have such blind loyalty vendors like that. Better to make a purchase decision taking into consideration current products and part pairings. Right now the newer Zen based products are a pretty decent buy if available in a comparable chassis to their Intel counterparts, they can run much cooler with equivalent cooling (extrapolating from desktop variants at least) and their pretty good now in regards to idle power draw.

For instance, since you say you've been with them so long are you telling me that you think the Pentium D space heater was better than the Athlon 64 x2? And quite often prior to that the Athlon XP/64s were much better than their Pentium 4 Northwood/Prescott equivalents in quite a few workloads. In fact the highest clocked Pentium IIIs (Tualatin) 1.2-1.4Ghz beat equivalent or even higher clocked 1.4Ghz-1.6Ghz, early P4 (Willamette) models in many workloads. Intel recovered after dumping the net burst architecture, resulting in the Core series which made them regain the performance lead from AMD. Not to mention the overhyped and underperforming Bulldozer arch which really hammered AMD, until the ongoing Zen recovery since 2017. Right now with Zen 3 AMD is pretty competitive performance wise along with better thermals and power draw characteristics.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am not going on blind loyalty. I am going on past experiences. What I paid my own money for. Simple. Others may have differing experiences. Again, I spend my money on what I like, Not what benchmarkers and experts tell me to like.