I think this is mostly a hate apple thread.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Brenden Weaver, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Did they allow actual RAM upgrades or are those soldered on mobos? 16GB these days are nothing. 32/64GB should be pretty standard on any 2000$+ laptops. I hate the idea that some 3000$ maxes out at 16GB and you need to shell out extra for HyperX or Samsung die based DRAM that supports higher memory frequency at lower voltages.

2. moon angel

moon angel Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I can't agree regarding iOS devices and "they work". iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 have been dreadful in my experience. There was iOS 13.2.3 that was a battery draining finger burning nightmare for thousands of users, and then of course there is iPadOS 13.4 which suffers chronic Bluetooth issues, also for thousands of users and completely wrecked some accessibility features I rely on. I can't tell you how angry I was about that. For each major iOS update that I have used there has been one sub version which has been a complete nightmare and had to be patched to restore "Normal" operation.

I would also not agree with "subpar software ecosystem" and "at least with Windows-based you get your money's worth with a robust reliable system". I will admit that it's fairly niche but for me, the built-in accessibility features of Apple makes the difference between a system being usable and unusable. Given that I have both Windows and Apple machines in my signature my personal experience is that the Apple ecosystem as a whole has more features that I personally want and has fantastic integration across devices, something I find very useful. As for reliability, we all know that there have been major issues like retina screen delamination and butterfly keyboards, that said my 2014 13 inch MacBook Pro is working perfectly after six years (yes I did have the screen replaced!). Only a couple of months ago my previous Windows gaming laptop automatically uninstalled the latest version of AMD software and installed a five month old version in its place. I have had comparatively few issues with Windows 10 but that one was pretty unnerving.

Use case is exactly it. Horses for courses. Different people have different requirements and different experiences and a lot of enthusiasts and reviewers in my experience seem to Think every product is aimed at them when in reality somebody's requirements and situation will dictate their purchasing.

jclausius likes this.
  3. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    THANK YOU! People seem to treat these brands like they're political parties. Apple engineers are incredible at what they do, the ARM teams are an excellent example of this given that they created ARM in the first place. Apple founded ARM for portable devices so people can complain about the Apple Tax on their Android smartphones; ironic isn't it?

Just because it's not engineered to do what you want doesn't make it a marvel of modern engineering. Who else uses haptic feedback in a laptop right now or any device other than the PS5? How about since 2015? I rest my case.

It's OK to not like the direction a company is taking. I sold my MBP and moved back to Windows because I have concerns about the move back to ARM for laptops and bought an LG V35 for $185. Does that mean I hate Apple now? Absolutely not! If I can see some kind of confirmation about emulation or my compatibility fears are put to rest of course I'll buy another MBP. That's what makes us better than children; object permanence and reason; act like it folks lol.

Oh come on off with this. There's a difference between an announcement, tech demos, design wins and actual releases. Lenovo like em or hate em are at the forefront of OEM designs and they literally JUST announced Cometlake Thinkpads today. I'm quite sure we will see Cometlake MBPs launched next Tuesday at WWDC.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  4. moon angel

Reputations:
    They do treat them that way don't they? We have android, Windows and Apple devices in my household and they all fulfill their functions.

As for 10th generation, the 10th generation gaming laptops are only just coming out now. It takes awhile to re-engineer things, especially as the graphics has changed so much on the 10th generation devices from Apple.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What marvelous outcomes does haptic feedback give in a laptop? In a phone yes, laptop....nope. espeically one that don't have a touch screen. Nothing magical or special there.

I use all three, however I would never have another macbook. They are just terrible. simple. My son comes home from university and I use is macbook for 10 min and it's frusturating.

6. Sentential

Reputations:
    Well what good did ARM do for computing when the iPod came out? That's kinda how innovation works... Again it's OK to not like something but from a cohesive software package Windows seriously lags behind Apple even with Siri being a complete joke. The last innovative tech I've seen from the "PC" world was nVidia with RTX Voice, Microsoft has done absolutely nothing on the engineering and design front in a decade. Hell they can't even build current generation PCs that are able to run on the latest Windows build. Can you imagine the shrieking if that happened to a Macbook?

Literally less than a week, I mean honestly; WWDC is Tuesday.

7. moon angel

Reputations:

I'm not sure of the point you are making here?

8. Sentential

Reputations:
    That was directed at folks like kojack who are complaining that Apple doesn't upgrade internal hardware fast enough when compared to Windows OEMs. We're less than a week away from WWDC when the new Macbooks using Cometlake will be announced and likely available for direct orders after the event.

9. moon angel

Reputations:
    We must look at different rumour mills, I had interpreted the availability of the 5600 M just announced on the 15 inch MacBook Pro this week plus the recent updates to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro 13 to add 10th generation to mean that WWDC would not feature anything new for Macbooks. We will see!

10. Sentential

Reputations:
    15" and iMacs is what I was referring to as you're correct the 13" was already updated and won't until Tigerlake.