I think this is mostly a hate apple thread.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Brenden Weaver, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Such as charging $6,000 and dropping a 256GB SSD in the base model. Now that's what I call ..courage

2. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    $6000 for a puny 32GB RAM and 256GB of PCIe storage... And to top off that cake, it is paired with a pathetic 580X pro. That kinda pathetic spec sheet makes me wonder what the design team was thinking... Nobody will buy a $6k computer with less power than a $3k machine. The only options that make even a bit of sense are the higher end 20+ cores models

hmscott likes this.
  3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Nevermind the markup on upgrades, the problems are in the design of the laptops themselves. You have a lineup of products which can’t effectively use any of the their internal parts (CPU/GPU/etc) to their full potential due to poor cooling / power draw, so even without the markups they are still expensive for what you get (though to be fair, thermal/power throttling is an issue on pretty much all but a handful of laptops sold today). There’s also the issue of shoddy engineering such as the keyboard and display cable issues of the more recent models, the display coating issue of the mid-2010s, the Nvidia GPU debacle, etc.

Really the only noticeable thing about these machines hardware-wise is perhaps the display. Not amazing, but better than bottom-of-the-barrel stuff like what’s in my 7577. Certainly no Dreamcolor though. Software-wise, there’s nothing really there... macOS is just BSD with a nice skin and the few interesting macOS-only applications (like FCP) have been watered down to nothingness over the years. Maybe a switch from x86 to ARM might do the laptops some justice; at least it wouldn’t be an overheating mess anymore and it would still have enough grunt to surf the Internet.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    electrosoft and hmscott like this.
  4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On the one hand I see why Apple gets so much hate. I've tried twice to switch over to a MacBook for a portable device. Tablets have lost their appeal to me so laptops have become a focus for me again. They keep getting smaller so a tablet doesn't make as much sense as they did years ago. But, I could never get used to the MacOS itself. And since I don't need it for work I just decided it's not for me. But, damn if I don't look at them thinking they look nice, Yet that's kind of the problem I see pop up all the time. It's looks over function. They threw in an i9 processor into a machine that honestly should have no more than a U class CPU. Stuff like that should not come from a premium priced product. If a car company did half the things Apple did they would be sued and out of business.

On the opposite side of the fence there are ALOT of elitist PC master people here. And I have several of them on my ignore list. And I have them ignored because they never have anything nice to say and everything is worse than their one Golden Standard laptop that came out five years ago. So believe me when I tell you that they are on all parts of this forum. So if someone says something negative that you don't like then just click on their name and then click on ignore on the pop up. Boom! Negative person gone forever on this forum.

Now if you really need help with a problem there are people here that will help. Even the ones that try to let people know that Apple is doing some shady things. ;)

hmscott likes this.
  5. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Lately say within the last 5 years there have been some serious design issues. The butterfly keybd that quite a few have had issues with have been going on now for around three generations of the MBP. After three tries someone needs to replace the keyboard designer or is it down to Jony Ive's obsession with thinner and lighter that's at the crux of the problem? Regardless when you are buying a fancy laptop that can hit the $5000 mark those are issues the end user should not have to be dealing with. The same goes for the $5 display flex cable that requires a trip to an Apple store to have the top display replaced because the flex cable is part of the display.

And yet you can buy a nicely spec'd carbon fiber ThinkPad X1 for much less, that's more reliable and has the best keyboards in the industry. My ThinkPad T60 which is going on 12 yrs just had the battery replaced and is happily running Linux.

The other problem is that Apple hardware has an EOL, so after a certain amount of years it no longer gets support. How's the proud owner of the new Mac Pro going to feel when s/he knows their nicely spec'd MP can easily handle macOS 10.39 but Apple decides the cutoff is macOS 10.23/4?

One thing Apple does really well is meld hardware and software to provide an overall nice package for the customer. I have a wireless Apple trackpad 2 and there's nothing like it and how it functions within macOS. But then Apple has to be Apple and decides they need to muck things up with a few bad decisions like selling a $999 monitor stand which is mandatory or a $6000 Mac Pro with a 256GB SSD and it only is capable up to 4TB of total SSD storage.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, at least the Mac user is able to install a different OS like Windows or some Linux flavor when macOS decides "no, that's enough for you", though that sort of defeats the purpose of buying Apple's hardware. The $999 stand did crack me up though; like, why the hell is it priced that high when you can buy "premium" (still overpriced) stands for something like $200-$300?

7. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    I could build a PC with a monitor and stand for $1000!

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Now, to be fair Richard, you could NOT buy a similar spec'ed computer to the new mac pro'grater for 1000 dollars with monitor and stand.

9. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Fair enough. But I can for like $3k or around that

kojack likes this.
  10. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    That sounds about right. The biggest expense will be a high end graphics card from nVidia. I would say between $2-3K max.