I sense impending tire doom (again), need your help

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by MGS2392, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    So, after filling up on gas today, I noticed a rather noticeable bulge in the sidewall of my front right tire. Parked my car, checked all the tires and there's also a slight bulge in the rear right.

I'm currently running BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport all seasons. I got a set of 4 back in the summer of 2010, and replaced one tire 2 weeks later due to a nail in the sidewall. 6 months later, I replaced the entire right side, due to a pot hole. Now, it appears as if the right side is about to go again, given these bulges.

I think they're the 2 tires that were most recently replaced (about 1, 1.5 years ago), so I'm wondering if I could get it replaced under warranty, given that it may be a manufacturers defect? I check my pressure every other week, and inflate to the correct pressure (compensating for the temperature) when necessary.

But, given my car is AWD, I would need to replace all 4 tires anyways. If I were to get tires replaced under warranty (which again, I'm not sure if I can), I would need to buy another 2. If I can't get it replaced by warranty, or if I would decide to do otherwise, I can buy 4 new tires.

My tire size is 215/45ZR17 91W... they're not cheap. I use all seasons, and so far, I'm between the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, and Kumho Ecsta 4x, which both seem to be good tires for the money. Any other suggestions?

2. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First of all, I would be real careful with those tires. One time I had a tire like that and pumped it up to its correct pressure. Moments later, the bulge on the side grew, the sidewall began to delaminate, and the tire blew up with the sound of a bomb.

I'm not sure why you would have to replace all four tires. If you have open differentials it doesn't make one lick of difference. Also replacing two tires with the same ones isn't going to make any difference unless the tires you are keeping are so worn out that they would need replacing anyway. But either way, it sounds like the BF Goodrich tires on your car right now suck real bad, so if you can you should probably just ditch them altogether.

I've used the Conti Extreme Contact and Kumho Ecsta ASX. There is no better all season tire for snow and rain than the Extreme Contact was. It now seems that it has been replaced with the asymmetric DWS, although the tread pattern doesn't look quite as aggressive. For dry conditions the Ecsta ASX was better, but it kind of sucked it snow. It it basically a summer sport tire with rubber that doesn't lose all its grip when it gets cold out. The Ecsta 4X is the ASX's replacement.

The way I see it, it depends on if you want to sacrifice a little dry performance for snow performance, in which case get the Continentals, or if you want to sacrifice a little snow performance for dry performance, in which case get the Kumhos.

3. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks for the help. The reason why I said I'd get 4 new ones is because the other 2 are ~1.5 years old (maybe 20-30K miles on them), so I figured the tread depth difference might not be ideal. Subaru's manual also says,
    "For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU
    recommends replacing all four tires at
    the same time."
    Though I know the manual is not always right.

4. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    If you have AWD you're going to want tires that are the same size. Even if you have two old and two new that say they are the same size, there's going to be a small enough difference that it might have an affect on the AWD system.

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i'm not a big Continental fan, but i have used various Kuhmos. the Kuhmos are definitely more of a summer tire. snow...? pffft they were complete crap in a tiny bit of rain lol.

@OP:
    i usually have to run low profile tires on my rims, so i don't really have too much experience with those tire bulges. i know they are definitely not good signs though. if u are sure that all of your tire pressures are ok then it might just be a faulty tire. also, when was your last 4-wheel alignment? do u even know if your alignment is still within the factory specs?

tires don't really have an expiration date. u can have 10 year old tires, but if they still have tread on them then u're good to go. do the penny test to see when your tread is starting to go.

the manual suggests that u replace all 4 tires at the same time because it's an AWD car. u want all 4 corners to have a similar contact patch for traction purposes. if it comes down to it, u could always throw the 2 new tires in the back and put the 2 (good) used tires in the front. it's a little hard to really recommend u a tire without knowing where u live, how u will be using the tires, and your budget. me, personally, i prefer Toyo T1R's. they are the best dry/wet street tire i've used. what's best is that they're super quiet compared to other low profile tires. the Toyo Proxes 4 is a great all-season tire as well.

6. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Old rubber can turn into hard plastic. Slippery even on dry tarmac, deadly on wet. On snow... put plastic bags on your feet and go out for a walk :D

They are so hard that they apparently never wear out but you don't know how bad they are until you would need them for real.

7. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Also they need to be of the same brand as alot of times brands actual sizes vary within the same size measurement. An example my 31s I bought for the jeep are .2in taller then other 31in of the same size and rating. Had I bought 2 31s of another brand Id be in for a new transfer case in no time at all.

8. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tires do go bad all by themselves. Unless you keep them in a sealed temperature controlled environment, they have a finite lifespan. Summer tires aren't going to last as long as all seasons, but the rubber slowly goes bad either way. I would much rather drive with balding tires than with tires that went bad that have lots of tread.

It's not about the contact patch, which only depends on the weight of the car being supported by that tire and the air pressure. It is about making sure that the rolling diameter at each corner is the same. If there is a limited slip differential anywhere in the drivetrain, and with AWD there can be 3, it will continuously be fighting the different rotational speeds. In the long run this can wear it out faster or damage it. This can also happen with FWD and RWD cars. But really if you are replacing tires with identical ones, and the remaining tires aren't shot or getting there, the tiny difference doesn't matter.

9. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    I've decided to go for the Continentals. They were $13 more each (although, Kumho had a $50 rebate for 4, where as Continental had a free Nook), but they had a longer tread life warranty, a one year road hazard warranty standard, and slightly better reviews and reputation.

What is it with all the tire manufacturers offering free e-readers by the way? Someone else was offering free Kindles with a set of 4.

10. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i know tires don't last for forever, but they will last for a very long time with proper storage. i'm not saying to leave a tire outside for 10 years. of course summer tires don't last as long. they have softer/better compound to provide better performance. i live in the south, so there's no real reason for me to get anything but summer/performance tires.

and i know how AWD works. i just kept the explanation simple incase some people didn't know about how things worked in an AWD system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.