I saw an Asus laptop with a RX 580/i7 7700HQ for $1200...

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by thegreatsquare, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Correction, base clock seems to be at 1077MhZ with the boost going beyond 1200 MhZ (and being able to sustain it).
    As can be shown here:

" The GPU side is powered by a Radeon RX 580 card which features 2304 stream processors and a clock speed that boosts beyond 1200 MHz. The GPU is stated to feature 4 GB of GDDR5 VRAM and comes with a 65W TDP."

Same was said in this Wccftech article:
    http://wccftech.com/asus-rog-strix-notebook-amd-ryzen-7-8-core-cpu/

Same thing repeated on Linustechtips:
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/786482-asus-unveils-8-core-ryzen-notebook-with-rx-580-4gb-gpu/

So, if that's the case, then I really wonder if even an overclocked 1060 mobile could actually 'wipe the floor' with RX 580 that boosts beyond 1200 Mhz - especially since DX12 seems to work better on AMD.
    Also, you're not comparing apples to apples either.

1060 mobile TDP = 80W (it would seem per notebookcheck) and base clocks at 1500, boost to 1700Mhz?
    RX 580 mobile TDP = 65W (stock clock at 1077, boosts beyond 1200 MhZ).

Overclocking doesn't seem to yield that much in performance increase in the first place for either GPU and can bring up power consumption by quite a lot.

I'll personally take the more efficient AMD GPU tnx.
    If you wanted to make things equal, Asus could increase RX 580 the extra 15W by cranking up the clock speeds a bit more and then compare stock for stock with same TDP (I imagine the differences would be something akin to RX 580 being entirely equal or possibly better in DX11 and shooting past in DX12 even more).

Of course, its best to wait independent reviews for when the product is actually released and we're not looking at the engineering sample.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    long2905, hmscott and don_svetlio like this.
  2. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That "clock speed that boosts beyond 1200 MHz" line is a fabrication by the ever reliable WCCFTech (probably copy-pasted from another article about desktop Polaris) that been proliferated. LTT and Indian dude are simply reiterating WCCFTech. There's no evidence supporting it, while I've provided photograph evidence that shows the RX M580 in the GL702ZC at 1077 MHz inside the AMD driver, as well as a more reputable site in Bit-Tech, who actually got a sample on-hand to preview and benchmark, saying the same thing. Like I said, Radeon Settings only lists the core boost clock, just like how GPU-Z only lists the core boost clock for AMD cards.

And where are you getting that 1060N has a TDP of 80W? Because Notebookcheck says so? Prema said it has a TGP of lower than 80W.

And remember, TDP is only the GPU die, while TGP includes the VRAM and other power consuming components on the board.

So again:
    RX M580 (1077 MHz) = 65W TDP
    1060N (1405-1671 MHz) = <80W TGP

EDIT:
    Here is a more up-to-date post on TDP/TGP of mobile 10 Series cards:

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Where is your evidence for 1060 mobile having a lower than 80W TGP exactly?
    This article is a bit dated but still valid and well in line with TDP being usually said (today) for 1060 being 80W:
    https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...GTX-1080-1070-and-1060-Enter-Gaming-Notebooks
    There's also Techpowerup quoting the same TDP:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2868/geforce-gtx-1060-mobile

As for RX 580 claims not being valid... I guess we will have to wait and see - discounting it just because you say so (where is your evidence its a fabrication?) is a tad silly. I usually take it with a grain of salt.
    Oh btw, you also claimed that 65W for mobile 580 was bunk too until I showed you an actual sticker from the laptop saying 65W.
    Calm down with the negativity.
    I was under the impression that these kinds of options in laptops are a good thing - unless you're going to claim that it was also a bad idea to put a Ryzen 1700 (8 core/16 threads) into a laptop as well and finally pushing 8c/16th CPu's on laptops into the mainstream.

Sigh... I'm going to bed.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    See my edit. And try to understand the difference between TDP and TGP, and who Prema is.

65W is not the TGP of RX M580, that's why I discredited it because you've been comparing it against 1060N's TGP, not 1060N's TDP.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So, I'm expected to supply sources for my claims (even if I left them open to change), otherwise it's 'made up', and apparently remains 'made up' because the said sources don't agree with you, but then you make claims about Prema and 1060 TGP and expect me to take you at your word.

Double standards buddy. Right now I don't have the time to hunt for info on Prema or confirm your claims of 1060 TGP. So, I'd appreciate a source of your claims if you can provide them. If you can't or won't, I can just as easily claim your statements are made up.

6. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    I mean, if you don't know who Prema is or what he does, then that's pretty much end of discussion right there. Because 99.99% of laptop enthusiasts here or anywhere, and many resellers, will vouch for him.

7. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    That's not really a good argument. It's like me saying "Oh, you don't know who Rossmann is, you don't know anything at all"

Deks likes this.
  8. edryr

edryr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The way it's said maybe isn't.
    But it's true that for all of us here, quoting prema is a much more reliable source than any other one.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry, that's not a valid argument. Failing to provide sources when requested (after you requested me to do the same, then jumped the gun) and sticking to 'take my word for it' is quite frankly ridiculous and I'm afraid I can't take you seriously

saturnotaku and don_svetlio like this.
  10. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    Except I do know who Louis Rossmann is, and he's a red herring that is irrelevant to this conversation. If you're gonna insult someone's intelligence, pick a better example next time.

Prema is a reliable source because of his work and his connections. He's not perfect, but he is a helluva lot more knowledgeable than these "tech journos" out there, every single one of them. I'd bet the farm on that.

Look at it this way. Who do think knows more about the game of basketball--Michael Jordan, or some writer or reporter/host at ESPN?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.