~~~I ordered M18X with 768GB SSD RAID 0~~~

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by miniretina, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miniretina

miniretina Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is it a bad choice?

I just wanna get some good speed in terms of data transfer , boot up time . things like that.

but there are so many article talking about the data safety issue of RAID 0.

anyways, i am not able to change the order anymore as its already in production..

I hope that it will bring the kind of speed I demand.

any ideas?

2. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can delete the RAID and reinstall Windows once it gets to you.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Really, all of those concerns are just misplaced. If a drive fails data loss occurs regardless of whether it is in RAID0 or not. Listening to all of the arguments against RAID0 gets very tiring to say the least. A single drive is not any safer when it comes to this. Placing a drive in RAID0 does not increase its chances of failing or shorten its life. Arguments to the contrary are just shortsighted semantics. All the concerns can be addressed by using common sense. If you want redundancy, you have to use a mirrored RAID array or back up stuff you don't want to lose. I have been running RAID0 for years and love it. Another simple solution is to only run programs on the OS drive and use a different internal HDD for data. Here again, a single drive can fail. With no redundancy, your data is lost. Has nothing to do with RAID0.

RAID0 with ordinary HDD is not really much faster. It feels a little peppier, but you need to go with SSD to appreciate a speed boost worth writing home about. The real advantage I find for RAID0 using ordinary HDD is the larger contiguous drive space. You can grab an inexpensive 32GB or 60GB mSATA and download the Dataplex software from the Dell Drivers and Support page (or, you can use Intel RST Acceleration features for the same thing,) to create a cached RAID0 array. That will produce a noticeable speed boost for you.

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Good choice. RAID is beneficial for those of us who need more storage space, which is the only reason I RAID SSD's.

I honestly believe ordering your PC exactly how you want it from Dell/Alienware is the best option, as long as you can afford to do so. If you purchase SSD's from Alienware and you have an extended warranty, these SSD's are covered and will likely be replaced at no additional cost if they should fail. Customers are treated well...

5. miniretina

Reputations:
    thanks for the info

but i would like a single drive of 768GB instead of 3

6. miniretina

Reputations:
    thank you so much for the info, .;-)

7. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Lol made me laugh

You'll be happy with the raid 0. Mine haven't skipped a beat since they went in, and I can't say I've read too many complaints from anyone on NBR. Good choice. Enjoy it!

8. miniretina

Reputations:
    that is what i was thinking when i order my M18X.. maybe i am just lazy. and I dont want to buy parts and take the M18X apart and put the parts in. too much work for me ,lol

i am just a lazy guy.

i didn't buy extended warranty .. my M18x is still in production now... haven't received it yet.. can i buy extended warranty once I receive my M18X? or should I call dell and add the warranty now?

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes... doing so may save you hundreds of dollars. While they cannot change your hardware order, they may be able to tack on the extended warranty for the same original cost as if you had included it in your original order. You'll have to call to find out.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Raid 0 doubles your chance of loosing your OS drive, either drive fails and your data is gone. However you should have backups if this is important to you anyway and internal protection like RAID 1 does not protect against, loss, damage or theft.