I need a robust, powerful, thick, beast-like laptop which is good for gaming and easily upgradable

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Smerdjakov, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, I intend on 'going to town' with about 1700€, so the budget might be a problem. My current laptop is HP EliteBook 8760w, and I am in love with it! In fact, I'm feeling a bit sentimental when thinking of replacing him. Its design is wonderful for my type of a person — no compromises for aesthetic purpose, quality metal materials, thick structure, relatively easy to take apart, multitudes of useful components, like SD card slot... The only thing that I didn't like was somewhat weak GPU for 2018: my laptop is sporting NVIDIA Quadro 3000M, which wasn't bad in 2012 (the year of the release), but produces abominable framerates on games like Dark Souls III and alike... I also despise the fact that HP implemented a whitelist of GPUs "suitable" for this model, thus making upgrade very messy — a full vBIOS flash is required in order to get a GTX 980M working, and even then, there are scaling issues (I didn't do these upgrades myself in the end, so my reference is this forum).

So yeah, to summarize, I am looking for a professional laptop (not necessarily built for gaming, without RGB keyboard and all similar rubbish, but it has to run games just as well, indicating a powerful GPU), aesthetics don't matter, BIOS is preferably modifiable by mods (if there are any?) and there is no whitelist baked into vBIOS. In terms of gaming performance, I'm talking 1920x1080 (maybe even 4K?) resolution at consistent 60FPS in games like Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3... you get my point. GPU is preferably from Nvidia and CPU from Intel (for the purposes of emulation (I have something like Dolphin Emulator or Cemu in mind) — AMD CPUs and GPUs underperform in this area of interest, at least from my experience).

I'd love to see a more amped-up version of my current laptop. Please, if you have any suggestions, hit me up, I'll be very grateful.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Ultra Male likes this.
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Eurocom Support
    He's in love with his notebook, so help the guy out.

Since I know you always test your cards before putting them on the page means that you got this fully working on the same notebook the OP has. I guess you guys made a custom BIOS to support the card properly.
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,424,0)

3. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, "in love" might be an exaggeration on my part. Through years of upgrading different systems I've come to a realisation — no matter how many newer components you can slam into an older system, its performance will always be lackluster compared to a newer system. So yes, while I adore the build of my good old 8760w, I'd really need your suggestions regarding newer systems (like from 2016 or 2017). Thank you in advance.

4. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For the price of that mxm 980M You are almost in Laptop with GTX1060 range...

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Then what you want is a Clevo P870 TM-1/TM-G from HIDEvolution.

Full on desktop replacement, i7 8700K, GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 SLI configurations available (I would go single card, tbh), and 3 fans. Then you can have a choice of either buying a Silicon Lottery binned and de-lidded CPU (meaning: your system will ship without a CPU but will be pre-tested first), having HIDevolution delid and bin their own CPU, or buying your own 8700K separately and delidding it yourself with a rockit delid tool or a de8aur (or however you spell it) delid tool, and putting liquid metal on yourself (with all the proper precautions, e.g. nail polish over all the SMD resistors around the core, relidding with automotive gasket sealer, etc), and so on.

Buying from a Prema partner like HIDevolution also means getting a cancer free, throttle free Bios and EC that will have all of the throttling code removed, so your laptop will be just as powerful as a desktop. If you do not buy from a prema partner, you will have to deal with throttling issues, and that's BAD.

slimmolG, sicily428 and Potato_farm like this.
  6. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you so much! I searched your suggestions and a lot of options popped up, so I ask you to provide a link. I think I will have HIDEvolution bin and delid my CPU because I am not such a good "handyman", I mostly work with software and basic component replacements (liquid metal is a little too much for me). Also, I'd love to get a BIOS from @Prema, so I can use all of the cool features, like custom voltages and other sexy stuff. An i7 will be more than enough for me (Intel screwed up majorly on i9, so yeah, pretty much the best option). I'd also like to know if this model can support 1080 Ti?

Now the financial stuff: how much will this cost me? I have 1700€ (if I drain all my savings). Well, if all of the components you mentioned are in there I think this is a good investment. I also hope that the thing is relatively easy to open (for upgrade purposes) but preserves solid metal (does it use metal chassis?) build, just like my good old 8760w.

Anyway, thanks for an exact suggestion, you made my day. Cheers.

7. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    clevo p870tm or p870tm1

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats a dangerous mistake! everyone here knows well that danishblunt spout nonsense and non-factual information when comes to high end laptops. if you need advice, go for eurocom/clevo, @Papusan and @Mr. Fox knows quite a bit about these high end laptops.

Ultra Male and Papusan like this.
  9. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ummm... Is there some internal beef between @Danishblunt and others that I've missed? Well, to my knowledge, both @Falkentyne and @Phoenix are trustworthy, while @Mr. Fox still being the OG on this forum. The problem however is money. The models suggested cost around ~3500€, and that's waaaay over my budget (it being 1700€).

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just ignore the kid. He's angry because I'm usually right and make fun of him and his overpriced furnace.

If possible could you maybe wait a little bit? I think it would be smart due to the whole spectre/meltdown thing and also the new mobile ryzen chipsets which might put prices down a bit.