I need a recommandation for a cheap Wifi Router

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by derei, Jan 9, 2018.

1. derei

derei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What Wifi Router would you recommend for domestic use, something that's around £20?
    Please, I don't need irony on this. I am aware of the low price, but still, I need to find a decent option that's up to this budget.

Many thanks

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just go to any store and get yourself a wifi router. Unless you have some really high end connection (which i doubt you have) it won't make any differences which router you take.

You can also look up on ebay if you can find any good uwed wifi routers as well.

3. derei

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt It actually matters a lot, because on this price range you are very likely to get something that won't hold wifi connection or it will be so ****ty like you are stealing wifi from your neighbor 2 houses away, whilst you are actually sitting on the antenna.
    The reason why I asked was that I hoped someone has something similar or knows one that could be better than the average.
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nah, routers have come a long way. Even if it's cheap it will still be able to function properly, what you descriped was a description of a literal broken router.

The main differences between a cheap router and an expensive one are functionality and bandwitdh. Expensive routers have much more features that can be used in a professional enviroment, while supporting up to a theoretical speed up to 7.000mpbs. When you buy a 20£ router, you will likely end up with a 802.11g 54mbps router, which would only make a difference when you use a high end internet connection, otherwise the cheap router will offer less functionality such, maybe lacking stuff like DMZ, port forwarding, worse firewall etc, to a normal user with avegrage internet, there is no difference at all.

No need to worry about connection breaking off or anything, unless you try to buy something sketchy on ebay from china.

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    @derei I use these, they're great as long as you don't mind interface in Chinese (or using Chrome to translate it automatically). However, they are almost impossible to find adequately priced nowadays, being phased out in favor of newer model which is cheaper yet slightly worse in terms of range. Both are 802.11ac of course, not some outdated 802.11n junk.

6. derei

Reputations:
    @Starlight5 those are interesting options, indeed. But chinese only interface doesn't appeal me much. I found the newer model on banggood with English interface, though.
    Anyway, I also found this: https://www.linksys.com/gb/p/P-E2500/ used for £20

7. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @derei mine had English interface too, back in the day. At some point Xiaomi stopped updating English firmware, so it was either Chinese language or no updates - I obviously chose the former option. The Linksys is 802.11n, i.e. old junk. 802.11ac routers work on 5GHz much better not only due to raw speed, but also beam-forming etc.

8. derei

Reputations:
    @Starlight5 so, you're saying that E2500 is not worth attention?

9. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @derei yes. any router that doesn't support 802.11ac isn't worth attention, in my opinion.

10. Neil_Hines

Neil_Hines Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was also searching for the router at the cheap price and someone suggests me about the site where briefly guidance about the wifi router in cheap price after following the guidance I found the TP-Link N450 Wireless Wi-Fi Gigabit Router and its really working well for me. I also suggest you go through this reference where guide about cheap wifi router before investing in any router, this would help you finalize your purchase.

hmscott likes this.