i need a better understanding of displays to filter down the many many laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by 32ram, Feb 13, 2020.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Your confusing resolution with zooming - by definition 0 Zoom is native resolution, if you Zoom in or out you are de-natifying the standard resolution - and losing resolution effectively in either direction.

Your zoom can generate more resolution, nor reducing resolution, you are changing the portal view of the data.

You aren't at native resolution any longer, but your view port still is at native resolution - the display's resolution isn't changing - even if you change the displayed resolution, zoom in or zoom out, you've still got the view through the native resolution of the display panel.

In order to change the view of the data you'd have to display it through another resolution display. Double the resolution double the data view port.

Same as for camera sensors, you need to process all the data points of the cell or bin pixels in the cell to each other to reduce the data load, but that is the same as reducing the data resolution.

The 1:1 view through the resolution view port is the native maximum data view. You can reduce the data for each character to display - binning pixels, but their resolution will also be reduced.

You can convey more information by reducing the data used by each character - reducing the font size - but eventually the resolving power of the resolution won't be able to display data you can resolve into useful information.

It's really straightforward, in both directions, but you can defocus the resolution of the idea into confusion if you go too far. :)

2. 32ram

32ram Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    we're 'losing res' in either direction? ... ?
    huh? ...

in the 2nd line, i guess you saying we 'cannot' generate more res? nor can we reduce res?

anyway, if we the user sees more text/info, then even if the res is not technically changing, we are effectively increasing the res since we're seeing more via zoom from chrome

i dont care about the technical part, i just care about the user part, from the users' point of view
    i dont care what techincally is or is not, none of that matters to me, i just care about the practical part
    which is what the 3 questions in op was/is about

the explanation here seems to be from a technical viewpoint, but i just care about the practical part, and am looking eventually for a practical answer to the 3 questions in op asked

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, you are losing "resolution" when you zoom in or zoom out through the viewport of the unchanging native resolution of the display panel, think of the native resolution as a "screen door" through which you can see through the "holes", that is a fixed point of access to your view.
    You're first question makes no sense as asked. You asked for 1:1 ratio which can be taken two way's:

a) 1:1 display resolution vs "Zoom" as you put it. The fixed ratio of the desktop at 1:1 is 100%, if you Zoom to 125% you are no longer at the native 1:1 display of data vs view port.

b) 1:1 as in physical dimensions or aspect ratio's. There are no 1:1 generally available displays for consumer use for PC's. There are indeed 1:1 displays available for commercial or industrial use for monitoring hardware - not as a PC display - and usually very small - just large enough to display fixed data.

"Common aspect ratios are 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10. 16:10 is most commonly used in computer displays, 16:9 is most commonly used for HD video, and 4:3 was most commonly in both computer displays and TV video before widescreen displays became commonplace."
    https://www.google.com/search?q=commen+rations+for+computer+displays
    Words - whether technical or in laymen's terms, are needed to describe what you are looking for. If you learn the language of the technical specifications you will be able to more easily ask for what you want, and understand what you need.

Without a common language as the basis for communication of complex technical aspects of technology you can go around in circles trying to create your own "non-technical" language to try to express your thoughts, and end up with a parallel lexicon to the well accepted standard.

As you more carefully divide the discussion into aspects well understood, carefully defined and accepted universally, the resolution of your ability to understand and communicate will come into focus.

That's why you are having trouble communicating what you want, as you are trying to get around learning the technicalities of the items you are looking to acquire while those are exactly what you need to express your desire.

Spend some time learning the lingo and the technical aspects, that's where the 1:1 explanations and answers reside.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No dude just no. Closest is 4.3 found in surfacebooks...and no you do not gain from a larger screen only that you can zoom out more then yes