I have an updating problem with my Dell XPS 13 9360

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jack53, Sep 25, 2021.

1. jack53

jack53 Dell XPS 9360 i7 Lover!

Reputations:
    I have an updating problem with my Dell XPS 13 9360 I just got with fresh Windows 10 Pro installed.
    I get this error while trying to update and it won't update.
    NET HELPMSG 2182
    I got this message every time
    We couldn't complete the updates
    Undoing changes
    Don't turn off your computer.

I tried everything in these two links, still won't complete the update?
    https://windowsreport.com/windows-update-not-working-windows-10/

https://windowsreport.com/how-to-fix-the-net-helpmsg-2182-error/

What to do? Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 Pro

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm... Fresh install from where? It's possible the ISO was corrupted at some point. I haven't run into this before but, looking at the steps to TS @ https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/net-helpmsg-2182.html it seems to follow most of the normal TSing for all things MSFT.

I would probably try downloading a service pack and install it to see if it clears up the BITS gremlin post install. Relying on Windows Update though to automagically do things IME/IMO is a terrible idea. I disable it for the most part other than telling me something is available and then check the web for disaster stories based on the KB #.

Seems to me they want you to open a command prompt and..

upload_2021-9-25_11-0-22.png

So, from this I decipher it as the service being the issue. You can go into services.msc to check things if you so desire but, it sounds like it's just having a temper tantrum in which you sidestep it and download updates manually and move on with the rest of your day.

3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So is this the OEM O/S or some debloated ISO your using? So what kinda Windows 10 did you get this from? If this isn't the standard mill Microsoft OEM O/S then you need to contact whom you got the O/S to provide you support as to why it's not working if that is the case. I suspect this isn't the run of the mill Microsoft O/S retail or LTS but a custom built O/S that is missing needed sys files. Only time I've seen such message are Windows O/S users created and removed files they don't know or shouldn't remove because it is used by the O/S itself.

4. jack53

Reputations:
    Thanks for your input StormJumper and Tech Junky. I will look this over again when I get back home this weekend.
    I'll also post the updates that have been done prior to now. I haven't installed any of my programs yet.
    I got this laptop off eBay couple weeks ago refurbished and like new, not a scratch or smudge anywhere on it including the bottom... see my post here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/got-a-dell-xps-13-9360-in-mint-new-condition.836709/
    and it was running fine and still runs fine... it's just the updating problem. Manually updating may be the trick and maybe finding which updates were not good ones and rolling it back. At worse reinstall the OS?

5. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, if you haven't put much time into it yet with installing software I'd just wipe it and properly partition the Windows Partition while you're at it. I usually just wipe all the partitions at the setup screen and then allocate 100GB for windows to split into the 4-5 partitions it uses and then use the rest for storage. If you have a decent USB drive it shouldn't take more than 10 mins or so and then start fine tuning things from there.

This is what I do before selling things on ebay to prevent issues when someone else gets it. I haven't had any complaints from them yet out of ~5 laptops over the past couple of years.

To save time on the install / update process I look for the latest image w/ updates installed up to the current month vs using a plane image w/o updates prepackaged into it.

pressing likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am not sure if you can pull the update off of Microsoft's website and run it manually. Also you can try dell's website to see if there is a driver conflict.

jack53 likes this.
  7. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is the problem if that isn't the Factory OEM O/S that might be where the problem is. If they self install the O/S then you need to get the Factory recovery CD/DVD/USB to put back to factory settings. Also look at the Product Key on the bottom does it match the O/S product key? If that then that should tell you it's the OEM factory. And your choices are to return get money back or contact Manufacture get the Recovery Media and redo it to factory or get Retail O/S that matches the OEM version and download the drivers from manufacture site and do a clean O/S install without any factory OEM bloat programs.

8. mariussx

mariussx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Easiest way would be to:
    1. Get Win 10 iso or recovery media creation tool from Microsoft and install a fresh clean copy of windows.
    2. Install the Dell update app for all the driver updates
    3. Install the latest servicing stack update
    4. Download the latest cumulative KB from Windows Update Catalog

You could try updating the servicing stack update now just to see if it fixed the update installation issue. If it does not fix it now, the steps above will 100% fix the update failure.

jack53 likes this.
  9. NeXt3R

NeXt3R Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. jack53

Reputations:
    Yeah, I saw that too, stopped it, then restarted it same problem? Maybe stop it and run updates then restart it?

Also how to stop or run the updates manually? It seems Microsoft don't want you to do that as I don't see any options to stop updates or doing it manually???