I hate the USPS

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheShaman, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheShaman

TheShaman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First, they sell us stamps at 37 cents apiece and then wonder why mail volume is going down. Hello...email. I'd be much more likely to send snail mail if it didn't take 5 days to send mail 30 miles away (true! - where I live mail sits in the office that day, travels to a hub the next, from hub to hub the next, hub to neighboring town's post office, and finally delivered, 5 days total, assuming no delays or weekends...) AND if it didn't cost more than a dollar to send 3 envelopes. 33 cents should be the logical max for now. I bet they'd do more volume. And when it comes time to hike the price, go all the way to 40, or 50. I'm an intelligent guy, but I just don't like having to do math in the post office while I'm in a hurry just to figure out if I have enough money in my pocket to mail my bills.

Second, bankers keep better hours than these people! I went in today to mail a letter that has to be where it's going by Thursday (so I was going to mail it priority, a whole other complaint - 3.80 to shave a day or two off?!) but they're only open from 10 until 12 on Saturdays. Give me a fereakin' break. Don't tease people like that. If you're gonna be open, be open at least 6 hours. Otherwise, just be closed!

I'm beginning to think that they should privatise the postal service. Sure we might see a hike in stamps, and lose those precious 2 hours on Saturdays. Heck, we might even lose Saturday delivery altogether, but if that means improved service, I'm all for it.

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    well, i agree with most things you say, but i will say that they do have the best value for sending 2-day mail via priority and i've never had a letter lost by them...it still amazes me that for all the mail that goes through their system on a daily basis everything gets from one location to the next pretty flawlessly.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yeah, the USPS is a joke. One near me even closes from 2-3 for lunch.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

4. TheShaman

TheShaman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay, that's a new one on me. Closing for f***ing lunch? (Edit that if you need to...) Does UPS or FedEx send small, envelope sized packages? Maybe USPS will get the point if we stop using them...

5. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I second the thoughts that they are slow and don't mess up often. As for my shipping purposes. . .FedEx all the way. I hardly ever mail letters out (I pay my bills online and email any contacts I have) but when I do I can rest assured of two things. It will arrive. . .but it will usually take at least a few business days, which really sucks.

6. Big Calhoun

Big Calhoun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also remember, the USPS was commisioned to deliver mail services to all residents on an equal basis. Speed wasn't part of that charter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.