I do believe that Lenovo just lost a future customer

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by burningrave101, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Newbie

Reputations:
    You have to know how to manipulate customer service. If you are good enough you will get a $2,000 computer for $1,700 like me. They canceled my order, tried to make me buy a brand new more expensive one. I wouldn't have it so I kept complaining and got the brand new computer with better specs at the original price. I've gotten customer service to do lots of stuff. It's all about how you deal with them.

And a restocking fee isn't unfair as you wanted to return it. It was not their error. Makes perfect sense.

2. ssnseawolf

ssnseawolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No matter how you try to justify it you failed to read and understand the contract you agreed to between yourself and Lenovo at the time of purchase.

Take some responsibility for your actions.

I'm unmoved.

3. burningrave101

burningrave101 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The fact that I didn't get the discount their sales rep said he would apply to my order makes it their error but because it was a sales rep that told me this over the phone naturally I have no proof of this. I also did the click through on Fatwallet as I always do to get the extra 10% back and Lenovo simply didn't report the purchase even though they reported the previous that was canceled which was exactly the same. My fatwallet click through history even shows it in my account. I understand them instituting a restocking fee on opened products but they're just making it near impossible to ever return anything paying a large restocking fee whether the customer is satisfied with their purchase or not. Lenovo is just trying to cut corners in every possible way in order to lower up front pricing to compete with companies like Dell. The quality and especially their customer service is slipping more and more all the time compared to what they were. To me I just didn't fathom that within the last few months Lenovo would of changed their return policy. I knew it was 21 days with a 15% restocking fee if the laptop was opened but none if it was unopened.

Even at Amazon.com they don't have a restocking fee on an unopened laptop return. Newegg.com has a 15% restocking fee on non defective returns but I can just simply refuse delivery on the order if it turns out I don't need that item and I get a full refund. Could I of refused deliver on the Lenovo laptop? Nope. Even last year when Lenovo allowed full refunds for unopened returns you had to accept the package and ship it back. You couldn't just refuse delivery. I remembered that so I accepted the package, didn't open it, and got screwed for $187 because I didn't take the time to double check to make sure they hadn't changed their return policy AGAIN.

Yeah I should of taken the time to read the terms and conditions page but does everyone really take the time to read something like that every time you order? Most manufactures don't change their return policy on a month to month basis. So now if you place an order and it turns out you no longer need the product you have no choice but to eat possibly a large $200 or more loss just to return something you never laid your hands on. Restocking fees like this make sense when you're enforcing them as a small business or like an eBay seller or something like that that can't really afford to take any losses very regularly. Not when your a large company like Lenovo that ships millions in revenue of laptops alone. Lenovo has every right to do as they please as far as what rules they want to set but I as a consumer have the same right to take my business elsewhere when I'm no longer satisfied with their level of service or the complete lack thereof.

Sorry, just needed to vent a little in this thread to get this off my chest lol.

4. gmaster

gmaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this is one weird story.... nothing personal but when i look to buy stuff usually i double.. TRIPLE.. think about it before ordering.. sometimes i talk myself out of things and later i realize i should have ordered.. sometimes i wait too long and im ass out.. but i never blame any manufacturer if i suddenly decide i dont want something.. not once.. but TWICE??? cmon.. this sounds fishy.. IMO

5. SonDa5

SonDa5 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That sucks. You should at least be willing to see that you could have avoided this problem if you would have thought out your purchase a little more.

I have never owned an Apple. Just looked at their notebooks at Best Buy and Fry's. I like ThinkPad's more.

6. The Fire Snake

The Fire Snake Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am not going to say what you should or should not have done. But you are right, Lenovo's return policy sucks. Basically you have no return policy at all. If you buy the laptop it is yours and the best you can hope for is to send it to depot repair if there are any defects. I have read many posts where someone wants the laptop, buys it and start to use it and discovers a defect. They have called Lenovo expecting that they could just exchange it for another one(within 2 days of purchase), not a refund, and were refused. They were asked to send it to the depot repair. I guess we are all so used to being able to return items if we don't want them, especially unopened ones, but doesn't seem to be the case with Lenovo. If you buy a laptop from them you better want to keep it, thats something you should be prepared for with them.

I knew this was going to happen with them when I bought mine and was thinking of returning it(I was and am very indecisive). It was also unopened. I didn't even bother with them, I just sold it on ebay and it worked out better.

I am sorry about your poor experience, but at least you now have what you want.

7. burningrave101

Reputations:
    In the end I should of just sold mine on eBay as well. I'm sure I probably could of sold it for what I paid for it if not even a little more. Stupid decision on my part for that. I was just ticked off they didn't give me the extra discount off from the CSR over the phone nor did they report the purchase to get my 10% Fatcash. I didn't even know they had changed their return policy till I went to setup the RMA and called and the guy was like you're going to be deducted a 15% restocking fee even though it's unopened. Went and looked up their return policy online and did a little searching here on the forum and looks like they had recently changed it. In one link I found on the Lenovo website it actually still said unopened returns could be returned within 21 days with no mention of a restocking fee. Then I believe on the order page where you can click that little terms page if you want it talked about the restocking fee on all returns of custom built orders. Now it looks like they've changed it just to read that all returns within 21 days that are not a Lenovo error are subject to the restocking fee. Pretty soon it will say that you still have to pay the restocking fee even if they send you a brick instead of a laptop lol.

8. burningrave101

Reputations:
    I don't care much for Apples MacBook notebooks. The AIR and the MBP are much nicer though with the brushed aluminum casing. They're thin and light for their sizes and the MBP's keyboard and LCD are the best I've gotten out of a laptop before. OS X is definitely growing on me now as well. I didn't think I would like it at all after preferring Windows but Vista started to annoy me with all of it's freezups and sluggish performance so I was ready to try something else. The thing I like the most about OS X is just that MAC apps just seem more fun to use and even installing them is a quick and painless process. And with MAC hardware being all the same unlike with PC laptops they're able to code MAC apps to run faster and more efficiently on your hardware. I also get pretty great battery life out of my Penryn MBP.

9. jketzetera

jketzetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since restocking costs the company in a number of ways, a generous restocking policy in the end results in higher sales prices. In situations where restocking is free or inexpensive, people who buy products and do not return them are subsidizing people who return the products.

10. ambient667

ambient667 Newbie

Reputations:
    ^^^ well said.

The initial price discrepancy sounds legit but the return fee? Come on now.. imo when you sign on the dotted line with a company, you do so under the terms specified. If you don't like those terms, take your business elsewhere! If you don't know what those terms are and end up getting f*cked, it's your own fault for being unaware of what you are doing. Instead of blaming their customer service, take a hard look in the mirror and blame yourself for your own ignorance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.