I dismantled the Razer Blade battery - take a look

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Sumanji, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Sumanji

Sumanji Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Had to take the battery out, as it totally died (Blade 14", 2013) and refused to power on with the battery still connected.

Frustrated at not being able to find a replacement, I decided to take it apart to find out if there was anything complex inside.

https://imgur.com/a/FmzrU

Turns out there's a little circuit board in there, alongside the six very cheap-looking cells. They're held together in the black plastic frame with the outer black plastic wrap.

There's no real "so what" here, just thought you guys might find it interesting!

Cheers,

Su

mason2smart, James D, rinneh and 6 others like this.
  2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    That's how all li-ion pouch cell battery packs look like; every ultrabook, table and smartphone has the same design and 'cheap-looking' cell(s) once you peel away the plastic.

Larger and/or older laptops use 18650 cells instead of the pouch-type and cannot expand/inflate. The controller pcb (with charging circuit and overvoltage protection) is the same though, as are the voltages.

Anyway, you now know that you need six 3200 mAh pouches in order to make a new, working battery pack. Measure their height and width to make sure, but other than that these 3200mAh cells look like a good match. Swapping them only needs a soldering iron since they're all tabbed. Just be careful not to short them while you're working; all leads are 'hot'.

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Very interesting to see the inside, too bad there are not many markings on the pouches. I am curious who is manufacturing those cells. Even though those pouches often look the same, the chemistry decides how reliable they are. Thanks for the photos!

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  4. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just don't puncture them pouch cells, unless you like fireworks.
    One of the cells may have died (only takes one to kill a pack), or it could be a problem in the control board.
    Get you a meter and check the voltages on each cell.

Arrrrbol, hmscott and mason2smart like this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Definitely dispose of it properly. If you're in the US staples and the like have free battery disposal. Those batteries can be dangerous in the normal garbage. Especially to sanitation workers.

Arrrrbol, Papusan, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes it will act like Frankenstein when disposed in garbage can and torturing everybody by deciding to self destruct anytime.
    The OP was really lucky the battery didn't cause any harm.

hmscott and mason2smart like this.
  7. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From my past experience with a blade pro and mamba, Razer batteries tend to degrade quickly (or in the case of my mamba, explode) so this doesn't surprise me one bit....

8. mason2smart

Reputations:
    I had to replace my mamba battery several times over the 6 years i owned the mouse. Some of the batteries i owned expanded in the mouse to the point the bottom plate of the mouse scraped against the mousepad. Eventually, I had a mamba battery that blew up in the mouse a few weeks after purchase. (I was on vacation at the time)

One of them I did throw away improperly and it blew up when it was dumped in the garbage truck with a huge BOOOM! Everyone within a 2 or three house radius probably heard it. Sounded like a grenade in battlefield 1. Even the trash guys jumped.

It's really scary cuz one of these batteries easily could have taken my hand clean off and I had to actually use a flathead screw driver to pry them out of the mouse......

Razer refused at first to replace the battery or mouse and illegally refused to assist me in it's disposal. Finally they offered me a new battery. By that time i already bought a g900 cuz i was sick of the issues and read up on how dangerous an exploding battery is....

I also had a Blade Pro 2013. Had multiple battery issues and was sent multiple new replacement models in a row that did not hold a charge at all.

9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't understand how Razer gets away with this crap.

Samsung has a few batteries explode in their Note 7 and they recall their entire flagship product line.

Lenovo has some batteries expand in their X1 Carbon premium line and they recall all affected.

HP has a similar recall. As did Sony I think

RAZER has multiple product lines with many exploding and expanding batteries. They basically tell their customers screw and ban them from their forums if they raise an issue. They defiantly refuse refunds and basic services.

How do they have so much pull with the FCC and Tech communities? Why does tech news providers not care?

I ask this question to all that may care

@Papusan @hmscott @Vasudev @hfm @rinneh @Sumanji @Eason @darkloki @pbhenry3 @Mobius 1

10. mason2smart

Reputations:
    I've got a bad battery in my gx501 too right now and my local microcenter has had a replacement battery on order for over 2 months. Microcenter even sent me the tracking # for it (which actually expired and was reset by Asus)

Vasudev and hmscott like this.