I could have bought a nice car or something instead

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dietcokefiend, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejl

ejl fudge

Reputations:
    if it makes you feel better, medical school is going to cost me a hefty $52,000/year. i could have bought a house!

2. flanken

flanken Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Law school is costing me a good $28k a year. The horrifying part is that I'm at a public school.

3. LFC

LFC Ex-NBR

Reputations:
    I will leave uni in 3 years with £30k+ in debt, but that is repayable in generous instalments and no interest, so I guess no complaints there. Reading through the thread it makes me feel bad for spending the student loan away...

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study. ~Chinese Proverb

you should have just met with the Dalai Lama.:p

Quote:
    You go to med school for longer than 4 years right? 7 or something, at least you know you'll be helping people, as opposed to being a lawyer where you work damn hard and people hate you, of course people with law degrees can always get into buisness, and then you could also have a nice fulfilling major where you don't make as much, but you'd like it more than being a lwayer or a med student (of course there are people who love there jibs like that), a major like biology or biochem or agriculture or anthropology or architecture or......

There are lots of people who go major and go to graduate school in what they want to do, there are lots who major in what they want and go to graduate school for something they don't like, there are those who choose something just to make money, and there are those who go to liberal arts colleges.

This is really just a rant, so pay no attention unless you want to.

5. flanken

Reputations:
    Med school, at least in the US, is actually 4 years. After that, you do a residency, and sometimes a fellowship. That's an additional 3-10 years of training, but you're providing actual medical care, you get a modest salary, and you don't pay tuition.

Going into law isn't actually all that bad. I'll grant, it's true that lawyers frequently work inhumane hours, and that some specimens of the ambulance-chasing persuasion are rightfully despised by the public, but many lawyers do legitimate, honest work that actually helps people (e.g., immigration lawyers, family lawyers, or my future field as a patent prosecutor and/or litigator).

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was not saying lawyers are bad just many in the general public do not like them,my dad used to be a lawyer, I've nothing against them, and when i said like 7 years i meant the residency, i thought that was part of school too.
    being a lawyer is actually a great job because you can move around in the law world meaning what you practice, and you can take it into the investment banking and hedge fund area as well.

7. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same here. Once small difference: I'll be graduating high school. ;)

8. ejl

ejl fudge

Reputations:
    my tuition is for a public school too. :x it is even higher than some top 20 private medical schools here by about 20k. don't ask me how that makes sense.

on a side note, a friend of mine is studying ip law. she's making an absurd amount of money on her first internship.

9. flanken

Reputations:
    Wow. Are you paying in-state tuition? Where are you going to be?

As it happens, I'm also going to be doing patent law (a subset of IP) this summer. The pay is indeed ridiculously high. I guess I'll soon find out if the working hours justify the pay.;)

10. flanken

Reputations:
    No worries, I didn't think you did have anything against lawyers.

A lot of people confuse the 3rd & 4th years of med school with residency, especially since residency is basically a mandatory part of medical education.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.