I can bet who is going to love this:

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/13/monterey-2009-blastolenes-twin-supercharged-v12-peterbilt-hot/

[​IMG]
    We are amazed every time we see a new creation from the Blastolene Brothers, and this latest monster we spotted at last night's Jet Center party in Monterey made our jaws drop. Built by Randy Grubb, the same man responsible for designing and constructing Jay Leno's tank car, this rolling monster is comprised of a chopped Peterbilt model 351 cab and an 852ci two-stroke Detroit Diesel twin-supercharged V12 mated to an Allison 4-speed automatic transmission from a Greyhound bus. The engine produces 500 horsepower and nearly 1000 lb-ft torque with a redline of just 2,800 rpm. Other features include a custom boat-tail gas tank, Baer brakes, stitched leather seats made by a saddle maker and a customized rear end from a semi truck. Overall, Grubb spent over 3,000 man hours and 15 months to build this one off creation and has lovingly given it the nickname "'d Off Pete." Check out all the incredible details in the high-res gallery below.

2. jooooeee

jooooeee Stealth in disguise

Reputations:
    I'll give you 3 guesses to who owns this car. <--English fail

3. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    K-Tron? :D :p :p :p :D

4. Tinselworm

Tinselworm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it redlines at 2,800 rpm? surely thats... very low? i mean even for a diesel

5. fattail95

fattail95 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah common rail diesels usually redline between 4900rpm-5300rpm..

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Redline is pretty dependent on the displacement, although I'm surprised at how little power they're pulling out of it. Out of a 408CI cummins you can get that much power without even touching the turbo or injectors.

7. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Yeah that is pretty sad HP and tq from a twin SC'd v12.

8. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yea but look where all the power is, im sure if the engine reved higher there would be much more power available.

9. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    If the engine revved higher it would die IMHO. Diesels and larger displacement engines rev lower as the cylinders and displacement gets higher. Plus Just because its running at a higher RPM does not constitute power as some engines will run into issues (example: valve float).

10. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    Haha, its me

Thats a Detroit Diesel 12V71 NA (852 cubic inch)
    Rated for 485Hp
    He mounted two 6-71 blowers on it. Those are not the stock 12V71 blowers

If he had a 12V71T, he would be getting close to 800hp

These are two stroke diesels, so they need the superchargers to supply enough air for scavenging and combustion.
    The 71 series are governed to 2100rpm for an industrial engine, and 2450 at the high end. Some governors will allow up to 2650rpm, but thats it. You can push more rpm out of them, but it is very dangerous to do so.

By the way, that engine weighs about 4000lbs

He is on the Detroit Diesel Yahoo Group, he lives up in Oregon

His work is quite amazing. His black car with the glass grill is breathtaking

I like his truck, but its a bit weird, since it cant really be used for anything. I cant imagine it going very far either. I know a guy who has one in his Kenworth, who gets around 6mpg at best.

and what syndrome is forgetting about horsepower and torque is critical. A cummins 408 as he mentioned is a 4 stroke. It will loose in any pulling match to a two stroke Detroit. At idle, that 12V71 outputs over 800lb/ft torque, nearly twice what that cummins has. You can lug a detroit all day, thats what they are designed for
    Series 71 power since 1937 :D

K-TRON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.