I am going to get mad with Yahoo Mail

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by kenny1999, Oct 28, 2017.

1. kenny1999

kenny1999 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wanted to transit from Yahoo to Gmail 10 years ago... 10+years ago in fact but when it's connected with all the old connection how can we transit?
    old connection includes the time when there was no facebook or whatsapp and only email and MSN (MSN looks like gone now I don't know). They could be my old teacher, old classmates who are not actively in contact and, some old net friend (still have connection) with only email address and I don't want to get instant message on whatsapp with all those old contacts. A lot of other bank notification is also very importand and makes it hard to change an email address

And we don't know if we miss anything, while giving up an email address for some years it may get deleted if it's not used and if someone else gets this address again , its' like I'll be exposed to some possible risks or hacks isn't it???

At least I now only shift to gmail interface but I am still using my Yahoo address

2. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did explore this avenue however I eventually paid for a hosted email server that I linked to my domain name. I did initially try it with a Rasberry Pi for a project and got a server set up without a huge drama. I then went with a secure email service that had good reviews and haven't really looked back since. When factoring in energy cost for the server and my time spent maintaining it, the choice was easy. I'll grant that setting up an email server was fun and educational though.

Starlight5 and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Cool :)

It does take some tinkering to keep things going, especially staying in front of the constantly changing security / patches, procedures for secure email hosting are well known but add another level of complexity (fun!!), and the same goes for SPAM filtering.

The real advantages start multiplying when you want to do more things, hosting other services, web services of course, and game servers, and especially development tools and UNIX shell access - Yeah, I still call it UNIX :)

Being closer to the internet fast access is a big advantage too when doing UNIX development. Large images download quicker of course, but it also gives you another way in to the internet besides where you are physically sitting. Having multiple internet path access lets you debug things better with a wider view.

Physical access through colo can also be fun, it used to be the only best way before VM's were so cheap and plentiful, and it's still "the best" if you want hardware access flexibility.

Getting a secure email service that doesn't have any vested interest in peeking at your email is a big step up from gmail / yahoo / hotmail / etc :)

bennni likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Actually....... it’s not easy to host your own email server, and combined with the general “let someone else do it” mindset, most people won’t be using their own email servers anytime soon.

Nevermind that there isnt really a turn-Key email server that exists, there are a myriad of ways to screw up an email server that will at best kill your dreams of self-hosting and at worst land you in legal trouble. One example of what can go wrong is that a misconfiguration can make your server an open relay (read: spam server), thus quickly blacklisting your domain.

Certainly possible to successfully self-host your own email, but it’s a major PITA to do right.

hmscott, bennni and saturnotaku like this.
  5. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Set up forwarding from your old address.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN22028.html

hmscott likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Same here. Google's toll on privacy is too high, even for convenience it provides.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 7:30 PM
    bennni and hmscott like this.