I am getting ready to set up my server. OS questions

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by kojack, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    10 gives you the speed of striping (doubling of speed combining 2 drives) / mirroring 9pair of drives copies from striped pair0.

so, if you go with 16TB's you'd have 32TB of usable data but, also a live backup of 32TB w/o the hit for calculating bits like R5.

I like it because it takes so little CPU and won't be corrupted in most cases. It's nice to have that piece of mind of a live backup as well. I have a 5th drive in place that I manually copy to periodically that's not in the raid for that 3rd copy practice.

with mdadm you can build the R10 with 3 drives + 1 ""missing", pop in your 4th to copy from and then add it to the set when the copy is done within the micro tower you're setting up. I did this method migrating from a standalone NAS that was 2 bays to my final cube w/ 12 bays w/ 4 for raid / 1 for the spare / room for expansion.

kojack likes this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sounds like a plan. I will set it up this way. 16tb in my computer plus 32 in my server will be enough for a while

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Works well and your only bottleneck if you need network speed will be the onboard NIC @ 1gbps. The Raid should push 400MB/s or more depending on the controllers on the drives themselves.

[​IMG]

If you need more speed you can pop in a dual port 2.5gbpss card or leap to 5gbps card. If you wan to go to the extreme then 10gps. Makes quick work for backup/restore over ethernet vs an enclosure or adapter.

kojack likes this.