I am getting desperate with this M17X R2!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by V3curonium, Nov 15, 2019.

1. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try setting the sata option to raid in the bios as I bought M17x R2 that had a problem like this where it wouldn't boot at all until trying this option.

2. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As said in the first post, I think I tried everything I could think of when it came to installing another OS. Just setting it as Raid and then try to boot.
    It boots in ahci mode but only with the original HD and in safe mode. And even that is getting harder now.

I ordered a used 5870m yesterday with a return option in case the gpu is not the cause.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 8 met Tapatalk

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Have you tried leaving it in the BIOS for 10 minutes to see if it is stable and doesn't freeze?

Tried restoring BIOS defaults?

Are you able to move the HDD into a different slot?

4. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have been in the bios for a few minutes to check all tabs and it stayed fine.

Cmos battery removed, default settings, other bay. I tried it all :)

It's back in the box for now until the gpu arrives.
    If it's not the gpu, I am going to sell it for parts because a new motherboard is not worth the costs I would put in it :(

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    GPU shouldn't be causing BSOD during installation since it doesn't reach 3D clocks.

It sounds like a hard drive issue, but you said you have tried different drives...question is, are the drives you tried the ones it came with or you did try a working drive from different computer?

CPU or MB seems less likely since you can get into BIOS, run onboard diagnostics, memtest, etc.

Really weird situation.

At this point try the GPU you get, be sure to remove the old ones (if there's two). Hope that fixes your issue.

6. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tried the 2 mechanical hd's that came with the laptop, another spare mechanical one (it might be bad I don't know), a used Vectrex 4 SSD and a new but cheap Intenso SSD.
    The Vectrex is currently in another system and I installed Windows on it without a problem.
    I installed W10 on the cheap new one without a problem but installing it in the Alienware gave a system service exception bsod

I hope it's the GPU. It shows the same symptoms as the 9800m GTX in my M1730 when I enable SLI.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  7. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I installed the new GPU and still the same.
    I think it's pretty safe to say there is something with the mainboard?

I have putten more than enough time and Euro's in it.

Going to sell it as is for parts and hope to recover some costs.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, ataport sounds suspiciously like an interface to the (S)ATA disk, so I would say that something is fishy with your SATA connectors..

And the 7E error points to the hard drive, aka the windows couldn't load what it was expecting to load to boot.

Either the SATA ports are all corroded if this happens with all ports, or there is some dirt causing noise on the SATA lines.

Create a live boot pen drive with ubuntu and use the laptop running only from the USB.

9. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tried that before with Solus and Ubuntu and the system would lock up on booting.

Today, after some testing, it started freaking again. not recognising hd's anymore, screen getting brighter before the aw logo appeared.
    Removing the cmos battery helps it but this isn't really normal...

Edit: finally made in in Ubuntu with a live CD. Seems to work like this so wondering what to do next...?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  10. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Funny thing, and that could be the case here, as I am about to dissasemble mine I was thinkinking of giving every contact a good contact spray and cleaning...and I was wandering would it be wise to do so?