I am getting desperate with this M17X R2!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by V3curonium, Nov 15, 2019.

1. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I bought this laptop for "cheap" 2 weeks ago.
    It came with 4GB RAM, I7 620m, singleHD5870m and 2 HD's.
    I noticed that the raid config was not longer in use, and W7 was installed on one of the drives only (AHCI mode). OS is W7 Ultimate.

The previous owner seemed to be a smoker so I immediately opened it up, removed A LOT of crud and dust and gave GPU and CPU a desperate repaste.
    And I think I made the first error here: I did not check if the laptop was working 100%. I immediately went to the cleaning.
    Reassembly went fine, booting too but I wanted to install an SSD instead and so far I haven't been able to do so. The only thing that 'works' is to clone the SSD and then use it.
    Working is a big word though. I get constant BSOD with a few returning error codes, mostly system service exception 0x....3B,0x........A,0x......7E, System irql not less or equal erors etc....

What have I tried so far:

* 2 SSD's and 3 mechanical ones
    * 2 W7 Alienware install DVD
    * Win 8 DVD
    * Win 10 USB
    * Ubuntu and Solus USB
    * Different RAM sticks and Memtest (only 3 passes though) on the original stick with no errors
    * Onboard diagnostics with no error

The installation always freezes and also the laptop.
    With windows 10 installs, it always BSOD's with System service exception, the 7 installs BSOD with these 3 or 4 returning errors or they lock up before the install screen.
    Yesterday, suddenly the laptop did not recognise any HD or SSD I tried, and when turning it on, the fans were full speed, the screen became brighter and then the AW logo screen appeared.
    Removing the HD's fixed that and after leaving the CMOS out for 30', the drives were appearing again but still full of BSOD and couldn't even boot in safe mode anymore

I hope this is readable because there is so much going on with this laptop :(
    I removed the battery since it is dead and it seemed to also mess up the laptop when I turned it on (fans at full speed, screens becomes brighter and then the laptop turns off)

Could the GPU cause this? In one of the few occasions I got to boot in W7, CC could not launch due to errors and I couldn't remove CC through Windows. The 5870 was detected in device manager without exclamation marks.
    I succeeded in removing it yesterday with an older version of DDU but since then I can't even get into safe mode anymore
    I also noticed on 2 occasions that before a BSOD, I saw some thick horizontal bars (colored) in the top half of the screen
    Is the motherboard or the CPU failing??

Sometimes I think, I caused something when repasting and disassembling...

Any ideas on what is going on?
    Can't post the minidumps since I can't get it to boot anymore unless maybe I put the SSD or original HD in my other laptop.
    I do remember from Bluescreenview that I saw a lot of ntoskrnl.exe+7fd00, ntfs.sys and fileinfo.sys

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does it ever work stable with the "original" HDD and respective OS install?

Kinda sounds like its getting SATA errors all over the place.. Are all SATA interfaces OK(clean pins, and no bent pins)?

Also, did you try upgrading the BIOS version to the latest available?

3. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Bios is A10 which is the latest I believe.
    It used to boot at first without an issue but now even that one is starting to bsod all the time.
    I didn't test it thoroughly with the original hd since it started acting up right after the clean.
    Should have done that before the disassemble.
    Will retry this weekend with the original and spray some contact cleaner on both of the sata ports.

I also tried Raid install but also Bsod.

Seller of course says it worked fine :)
    Well it might be...

Some screenshots from the errors.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 8 met Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would tear it all apart again, do another deep cleaning, and then, try to have it working out of the chassis.

5. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could be GPU's failing

6. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I thought about it too but can this cause this whole bunch of different bsod's?
    I just had another new one but I was too late to take a picture.

The original hd can't boot either anymore, not even in safe mode.

I really don't want to order stuff randomly to find the problem. I bought it for 180€ but I already had to buy an 240w adapter and a new gpu fan because sometimes it sounds like a coffeegrinder?

7. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    A small update: the cloned SSD gives BSOD all the time, even when trying to boot in safe mode.

With the original HD, I got into safe mode twice but eventually it BSOD when doing sfc /scannow.

I managed to take some pictures from Who Crashed...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Remove the GPU and have it run on integrated?

9. V3curonium

V3curonium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can the r2 do that? I know my cpu has integrated graphics but I thought I read somewhere you can't do that on an R2

10. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    R2 doesn't have iGPU enabled, given it was mainly designed for Nehalem (No iGPU).

Have you tried using a different dGPU and installing a new version of your OS?