I added a Webcam into my CF-29 :-)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onirakkiss

onirakkiss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As some of u know, i frequently use Skype to talk (with my self added mikrofone) and see my girlfriend on the other side of the world via webcam. It was not nice to use an extra cam. So i bought an small piece of hardware: http://www.delock.de/produkte/grupp...MOS_Kameramodul_13_95810.html?action=showfaq&
    I connected it directly with the USB-Pins on the portreplicator (the only one free port intern with USB2.0) on the mainboard and the power comes from the switch, which i used for my self added GPS-receiver. The cam itself is installed beside the left hinge and is moving with the screen and was covered with tape against water and fixed with two small stripes of plastic in the displayhole on the right side and the screw on the left side. A small slot in the barrier was required, which i cutted into the cover.
    If u find a smaller cam it would be easier to install it directly in to the display. The cam, which i bought, has a very sharp picture, if nothing is on the move. But if i move my head, the cam or the software is really to slow! And the powerconsumption in standby is 88mA, thats why i used the switch. Negativ is also, that i -from now on- never can use USB via portreplicator. I 'll never want to use the portreplicator for USB, so it was not a problem for me. But maybe i will connect the portreplicator-USB-port with one free USB1.1-port from the mainboard.
    The cables are routed through the cover under the keyboard.

Attached Files:

2. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    lol.

Cool. Good Idea. :D :) ;)

3. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    D@MN!!!!! Thats awesome!

4. inspectorgene

inspectorgene Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The ingenuity of the folks that frequent here amazes me! :D

5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I thought about doing this. But I don't use web cams much if at all. Now we need a schematic to go with the write-up.

Excellent job! Props to you!

6. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With a webcam in a CF29, has anyone got a PC-alternative to my Mac laptop theft-recovery software?

(http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/) What that does is ping the master server every few minutes. If my Mac gets stolen, I notify the company, and when my Macbook Pro pings the server, it registers as stolen and records info such as their IP, location, screenshots, and even takes a picture of the thief with the built-in webcam!

7. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Thats what happens when you love what you do with your hobbies/careers :D

8. onirakkiss

Reputations:
    @t-book: U dont need a big schematic. First install the software of the cam, that u can test ur result. U should know, where to find USB on the portreplicator-pins on the mainboard (pins 29 and 30, the blue cables in the picture) and 5V-power over a switch from pin1 from an external USB-port (there is a protection-circuit, is better for the life of ur TB). Ground can u also get from the USB-port or from the screw-hole in the middle of ur toughbook. Be aware to make not the cable from USB to long unshielded. Otherwise it will not work. If u connect the USB-Cam on the new cables u had routed through the hole, where the antenna-cables are going from down to the top through the hole at the mainboard and through the gap between the cover under the keyboard to the left hinge, and u did not know, which cable was plus, ground and usb+ or usb- , u can test first, which one is plus by connecting an voltmeter between the chassis and the cables. If u find 5V u can soldering this cable to + from the cam. Where u found 0V u can soldering this cable to Ground from the cam. Now the other 2 cables have a 50/50 chance. Only in one position it will work, in the other not.
    By the way, if u have an thinner cable u can route the cable through the gum, where the microphone is situated and go through the bottom of the display to the other hinge. If u buy the same cam, like i, it will fit exactly at this place.

9. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nice to see creative thinking

My first thoughts are that it would be better at the top of the screen

Nevertheless, I guess that the lower location aiming up would work best for me
    The negatives are it would emphasize my double chin :eek:
    But the positive is that it would show less of my premature balding spot on the top of my head:)

Alex

10. onirakkiss

Reputations:
    :-D Ur right, and the partner on the other side will look up to u....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.