I actually KILLED the hard drive in my CF-19!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, Jan 6, 2018.

1. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well mt trusty Toughbook fell off the workbench, and chipped the concrete floor! Not a scratch on the computer lol. DIdn't shut down. No apparent issues. Until I tried to open a program 15minutes later. The drop actually took out the hard drive!

Pretty impressive! It might actually be the FIRST HD in a Toughbook I have killed from dropping! Sure, I have just had them go bad due to age. But this one straight locked up! Anyways, just amused. It did hit hard...

So, I guess I will be needing a new drive. I am going to put in a SSD drive this time....

Vasudev likes this.
  2. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    SSD is the way to go, I just grabbed a 480gb to go in my desktop. I pulled the ssd out of it for my 19Mk5 and forgot how slow 5400rpm drives were,ouch. :D

thewanderlustking likes this.
  3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Definitely SSD... Better battery life and quicker overall!

4. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    SSD is the ideal plan! But I have to pay for those, and I actually have a couple platter drives sitting about I could put in today... The crappy part is a have a fully tweaked and configured backup sitting around somewhere I can't seem to find. I bet its sitting on the desktop of the MK5. Cause thats the most logical place for me to have left it... o_O

I have built a couple of these MK5 recently, and am about to build at least two more. Seller on eBay had them for $150 each last May. It was such a good deal, I went and got a second one! I wish I had bought even more... A coworker liked it so much, sold him one at cost. Now I have other technicians asking me to make a few up for them. One already has a computer on the way. Point being, I am not making any real money off of these (not sure how some of you manage that) and I do need to find that image, or make up a new one.

Gonna pull that HDD out of the caddy later and see if I got lucky and it disconnected. If not, maybe I take the cover off the drive and try to free it up...

But I digress, back to the SSD thoughts and questions. Are SanDisk X110 any good? I am looking at a reasonably priced one that is running at 6.0Gbps.

I have never setup or used a SSD before, anything special I need to do? Will be running W7.

5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Nope....just drop it in. I have one in my CF-19MK5 too and it runs great.

6. Liteace

Liteace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Max speed of SSD in mk5 is 3.0 gbps I think due to controller

7. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Can anyone else confirm this??? I had specifically chosen some 6.0 ones over the 3.0 thinking they would be an advantage. If not, I think I can grab a 3.0 at some savings... I was actually just about to hit order too, so this is REALLY valuable information! lol!

8. Liteace

Liteace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Screenshot_20180107-170722.png

I've got a mk4 and a mk6 19, they both have Samsung evo SSD's in, ones a 1tb the other a 750gb, they both can run at 6gb/s but not in the 19's, when I go into the Samsung magician panel it tells me that they are running at 3gb/s.

Even at 3gb/s both 19's are super fast, switch on to desktop, 22 seconds

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  9. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Okay sounds awesome! Good to know thank you very much for the tip! Now to go find something.

10. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Any thoughts guys? Samsung vs SanDisk? The SanDisk ones are about $5 more. But I have had super good luck with their SD cards, and in fact won't use any other brand.

Not extremely concerned with brand for this, but the ones I am seeing are ones I have never heard of before, and at the same prices. So seems smarter to go with a known brand I guess.

128gb drives are coming in at $40-45. These are 6.0gb/s drives. Not finding any deals for something cheaper in the 3.0gb/s stuff. Same price range but larger capacity would work there. Computer runs pretty software and space light. I don't "need" a lot more room, if any. So the jump to spend $65+ on a 256gb drive isn't really worth it to me.

I know, room to grow. But honestly I use my MacBook for most of my day to day stuff. The Toughbooks are specifically for use out in the workshop and on my car.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018