HyperX Impact & Valueram in Dual Channel?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Unhappy User, Jan 7, 2018.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Unhappy User

Unhappy User Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Starlight5 All review units of my laptop, MSI GT62VR, have higher framerates in CPU-intensive games than my unit, and after thorough analysis, the only reason that can justify that is because they came with dual-channel mode activated while mine came with only 1 RAM stick. Yes the games in hardware-secrets article which you linked do not show any significant difference, I agree, but note that the test was performed on single player games. In multiplayer games, the CPU is taxed because of the presence of other human players, and a low-performing CPU like the i7-6700HQ does benefit from dual-channel mode, making it run more efficiently.

The argument here is not whether I need dual channel or not, but in what slots should I insert the sticks to activate dual channel, and if 2 sticks in the easy-access slots in addition to one stick in the hard-access slot will activate dual channel or not.

Slots 3 and 4 did not work.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Unhappy User

Unhappy User Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dual Channel finally worked by installing a second RAM stick in the easy-access slot #2. The first stick is originally in the hard-to-access slot #3. My laptop is MSI GT62VR 6rE.

I posted the performance gains by activating dual-channel mode here.

Starlight5 likes this.