Hummer Drivers Get More Tickets. A Lot More.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Harper2.0, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    None of those had mud tires on them (Which have deep, widely separated grooves to dig into soft surfaces). That H2 more than likely had "street" tires on it, so it didn't vibrate to hell when it was on the highway.

My old suburban had Mickey Thompson Baja tires on it, which never left me stuck in light mud or in any snow, but they would make my truck vibrate if I was doing more than 50mph.

Miro_GT; Not really a fair argument. Formula 1 does not allow diesels.

Leaftye; You had me confused for a moment. While some people call any LS based engine an LSX, GM actually did release an engine block called the LSX, which has super thick cylinder walls (You can make these 6L - 8L displacement).

The H2's engines aren't bad at all. They are on a very good platform, easily modified, and are very efficient for what they do. The Gasoline engine for the H1 wasn't suited at all though. It was the 5.7l Gen-II Vortec engine, which was alright in 1/2ton and 3/4ton pickups, but was a dog in anything larger. They would have been better off dropping a 7.4l vortec in those things...

Now, Gas Vs. Diesel.

For off-roading, diesel has a ton of benefits. If you ever reach your peak HP/Torque in a gasoline engine while you are off-road, you are doing something wrong. With the exception of on-sand races, you should never be hitting 3000 rpms.

I would also much rather have high torque than horsepower, and I too agree that it means more than horsepower does as well. Of course, every vehicle I've ever owned is heavy, so it does alot more for me.

2. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    torque +1 i really like that new VW diesel thats coming out for there mid engined roadster im really interested in that.....

3. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup, look at the tires on the tractor. It's all groovy, wacky, and curvy and looks like it's gonna eat somebody at any moment, of course in mud. :D

But the thing is that when ppl buy cars like H2, they expect their vehicle to perform well also on off-roads. Don't you think those cars should come out with at least intermediate tires? cuz not putting off-road tires on those cars is like giving Bear Grylls - the guy from Man vs. Wild - a pair of high heels, I think.

I'm just being curious, would Geo do well on mud if it has proper tires? :)

4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Tires are one of the most important things to traction on snow/mud. In mud, the other thing you want is ground clearance.

With the right tires, you can go through thin mud on a flat surface in almost any car. With 4x4 or AWD, you have better chances of getting out without being stuck.

The only reason we got stuck last weekend was from high centering the front axle.

5. leaftye

leaftye Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.