HTWingNut's Sager NP9390 / Clevo P375SM Review!

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jul 1, 2013.

1. DGDXGDG

DGDXGDG Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    good, so whats the ambient temperature? trying to compare the 375's new master gpu heatsink with 157's new combined heatsink

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Sorry, should have added that. Ambient is about 75-77F.

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Monsieur wingnut, you are making me bounce around the room in excitement, as your review copy of that machine is the same config I want to get soon. Excepting the screen being 120Hz and the memory being low voltage that is.

I love you sir.

4. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Nope, not without turning off the keyboard backlight. Although rumor has it that they are working on a software fix.

1. You may be able to add another brick if you get one of those Y connectors and another PSU.
    2. I did review 780m SLI with NP9570 already.
    3. 4800MQ is not bottlenecking the 780m SLI considering the significant boost in benchmark results with an overclocked SLI setup. If it were bottlenecking you would see little to no improvement.

5. harmattan

harmattan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, Wingnut. Another stellar review. I concur with most lof your observations: cooling and performance is grand with this config (roughly the same as mine). My main issue is not the lackluster chassis quality which we've come to expect as par for the course with Sager (it may be worth mentioning the massive flex in the LCD panel, the keyboard is still hard to use): it's the lighting design. You can't adjust separately the three brightest parts of the scheme: the ultra-bright audio led array, the touchpad lighting and the exterior red backlights. In its current state, the lighting looks distracting and gaudy (even to someone accustomed to gaming laptops). I run with the lighting all off until there is a fix.

6. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing your observations. I guess I don't notice a massive flex of the LCD and perhaps because I've been using this exact same keyboard for the last year it hasn't been a burden to me.

However the P370SM is coming soon which has a bling-free design. I just added images of it to the P375SM/P370SM owner's lounge: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...np9390-clevo-p370sm-p375sm-owners-lounge.html

7. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Really surprised if it's true that they didn't update the cooling in any way. Same old heatsinks etc.

8. Riddhy916

Riddhy916 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so p370sm will be cheaper?

9. harmattan

harmattan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't mean to harp an the point, but I don't see how anyone can deal with the laptop with the audio backlight on... it's just so darned bright.

I will say this laptop is quiet, quite a bit more so than on my m18x r2.

I get nearly the same result oc-ing the GPUs as you: 110+ core/360+ mem. If I run with a single card, I can push 135+/460+ on the master GPU. I've either got a somewhat-lame slave GPU or there's something holding back the OC in sli. More testing to be done.

10. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Yeah that audio light bar can be a bit overwhelming. I've found for whatever reason, I can't get cards in SLI to overclock as well as a single card.

But yes, it is surprisingly quiet. It's good to get feedback confirming what I've reported. Thanks for all the input.