1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HTWingNut's Sager NP7330 / Clevo W230ST First Impressions WITH VIDEOS!

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jul 17, 2013.

1. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

I would love to see more of a comparison of the W110ER and the W230ST (Power adapter, screen, keyboard)

Keep up the good work, I cant wait till I get mine Friday!

2. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Virtuoso

I love how the first thing you did when you took this laptop out of the box was tear it open, replace the internals, and reformat the machine with Windows 7.

+1 to you. A true nerd's nerd.

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

A HA! But I installed Windows 8 actually. :p

Just played a 20 minute session of BF3 and I have to say am very impressed. 1920x1080 high settings ran over 60FPS pretty much the whole time.

As posted in the first post as well, WSAD temps were about 37C, and at the IOPJKL area of the keyboard it got to 47-48C. CPU was 90C and GPU was 70C.

Next is battery life. :D

4. Corsair990

Corsair990 Notebook Enthusiast

How was the fan noise when you were gaming wingnut? How about when idle?

5. HTWingNut

I didn't notice the fans, but was using headphones. They were cranking pretty much the whole time though. I'm going to crank the speed down to a 4702MQ which would be 3.0GHz with all cores active and see the resulting temperature. I should be able to drop voltage quite a bit more too resulting in much lower temperatures, but I'll see how much game performance suffers.

6. csclifford

csclifford Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for everything so far! Looking forward to more write-ups, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. HTWingNut

I will repaste the CPU and GPU to make sure nothing is wrong, but I believe it won't improve a whole lot. However on my desktop and other laptop I usually limit FPS to 60 and that drops all temps down considerably. Not VSync, but using nVidiaInspector to limit FPS. So I will try with that and see results as well.

8. elathen

elathen Notebook Guru

This is awesome. Thanks so much. It looks a lot slimmer than I'd imagined.

Just to be clear, those BF3 temperatures were with the CPU undervolted? Or stock?

9. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Would you say those gaming temperatures (Cpu 90C, Gpu 70C) are considered good//reasonable/safe? Or should we be aiming for a lower optimum temperature? FYI, it's been about 90F here in Southern California, so what kind of temps should I be looking for? Cuz with my Alienware M17xR3, I don't think I ever saw temperatures exceed 80C on the CPU or the GPU during the summer. (I had repasted my computer with ICD 7 as well).

10. elathen

elathen Notebook Guru

Did you spend your last cents on gaming so that you could not afford a room with AC? When I was a student we scrounged a window A/C unit cheap and put it in one room in the house we were sharing and we would crowd into that room on hot nights to cool down.

11. bydus

bydus Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for your initial thoughts HTWingNut :) may I ask what is keyboard ghosting as i'm not familiar with the term and also if you could post a picture of the screen with a browser open as well as some desktop icons so I could get an idea of FULL HD on 13.3 latpop :) thanks in advance

12. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Nice Temp on the GPU there.
    What's your ambient?

13. Techie_josh

Techie_josh Newbie

Very excited for the full review, HT helped with my choice of the W110ER. Firstly does it 'feel' like a massive upgrade compared to the W110er when you played Battlefield?

But even more importantly lets get that 'INCOMING' note change to 'IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!'

As ever awesome stuff

14. Ghengis

Ghengis Notebook Consultant

Wow lots of nice notes. One thing, I noticed that when you unboxed there was no Windows disk -- does Sager usually not provide media? I haven't seen any resellers provide an option to request a Windows disk.

Since there's not even an optical drive anyway, I'd be perfectly happy to download an ISO. Do you know if that's an option?

15. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Without using it I will say yes just because of the huge difference between the 765M and the 650M.

As for an ISO search "notebookreview legal windows 8 download" in google.

16. HTWingNut

I did not order Windows with my machine. Windows media will come with your machine if you ordered Windows.

Battlefield is like a new experience. It's smooth as butter at 1080p and high settings.

Exactly. :)

17. Brtt

Brtt Notebook Enthusiast

The first thing you should know about ghosting is that 95% of people use that word in the wrong way, and that also seems to be the case here (also on the Microsoft link Colpolite provided).

Ghosting is what happens when you press 3+ keys, and keys that you didn't press get registered.
    This problem comes from the keyboard matrix, which is made of wired rows and columns, while the keys act as switches. For instance, when you press 3 keys pertaining to the same 2 rows and 2 columns, the fourth key of that (small) matrix is bypassed by the current, and the keyboard controller sees it as being pressed.

Masking is what happens when you press that key that was just ghosted, and release the key diagonally opposed to it (matrix-wise): since those 2 rows and 2 columns are always closed, the keyboard controller always sees the same 4 keys being pressed.

Blocking is usually what peaople think Ghosting is. It is a way to prevent ghosting by limiting the max number of allowed simultaneous keypresses in the keyboard controller. This results in "lost" keypresses.

To prevent Ghosting and Masking, the key switches has been be in series with diodes, to prevent the current from looping back to other rows/columns.

Key Rollover measures the number of simultaneous keypresses that can be registered. nKRO means n-Key RollOver, and a Full nKRO keyboard has no limit on how many keys you can press (and get registered) at a time.
    6KRO is quite common, as it's the limit of the compatibility version of the USB HID.
    2KRO refers to keyboards for which you are sure to be able to do *any* combination of 2 keys at the same time, but some bigger combinations might work too.
    The limits on KRO ultimately depends on the type of switches (regular electrical switches will have ghosting, while capacitive switches won't, for instance) and if they have diodes... and then the interface (HID) kicks in.

More details here.

18. HTWingNut

Battery life test, not so impressed. Granted I think I have a worse case scenario with the i7-4800MQ, three SSD's, and 1.5V Kingston DDR3 2133 RAM.

But my browser based battery life test with four flash based browser tabs refreshed from every 1 to 5 minutes, 30% brightness, power saver mode, resulted in 3hrs 25mins to 5% battery and shut down.

Although as with W110ER the battery life was improved greatly with some BIOS and EC updates.

19. Ghengis

Ghengis Notebook Consultant

Did you set the Windows energy-saving stuff before testing? I figure the CPU shouldn't matter if it's being severely throttled. And if that's your high-load results, actual moderate / light usage should be well over 4 hours, I'd think. You could probably squeeze 5 if you had one or two drives and throttled the hell out of everything...

20. HTWingNut

Power saver mode, HIPM+DIPM on SSD's, backlit keyboard off, 30% LCD brightness.

But I realized I didn't turn the Clevo Control Panel to Power Saver too which might help a little bit.

I think with one or two SSD's, light usage, remember to run Clevo Control Panel at power saver too, you should be able to eek out 4hrs.

You're right about CPU though. It runs at 800MHz when on battery, and I believe i7-4702MQ and i7-4700MQ do the same. I will check but I think it will "boost" to 1.2GHz if needed.