1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HTWingNut's Sager NP7330 / Clevo W230ST First Impressions WITH VIDEOS!

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jul 17, 2013.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

THIS THREAD CLOSED TO AVOID MULTIPLE THREADS AND AVOID CONFUSION. PLEASE CONTINUE CONVERSATION AT THIS THREAD: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...np7330-clevo-w230st-review-3.html#post9298430

I finally got my little guy. I'm naming him Defiant based on the "though little ship" commanded by Worf in Star Trek First Contact.

[image=500]http://i.imgur.com/wjoOI4H.jpg[/image]

NOTES:
    - LCD is CMN 1343 or Chi Mei Innolux N133HSE-EA1: Innolux N133HSE-EA1 Stock 510 pcs - Panelook.com
    - 2133MHz Kingston RAM is running at 1866MHz out of the gate with i7-4800MQ
    - Fn+1 full speed fan works like in other Sager notebooks
    - Looks like Intel XTU will allow voltage adjustments to CPU!
    --- UPDATE: Sustained 3.5GHz all four cores with i7-4800MQ at <80C, dropping voltage 0.125V.
    - Fan profile needs some work. It tends to burst time and again, and if spiked with a benchmark like Intel XTU or SuperPi or whatever the temps will go to 80C+ before the fan kicks in.
    - Keyboard ghosting same as other Clevo keyboards
    - Temperature on the keyboard after a 20 minute BF3 gaming session was ~ 37C at the WSAD and palm rest/touchpad, and ~47C at the IOPJKL area of keyboard.
    - BF3 gaming session pushed the CPU to 90C but GPU never exceeded 70C (but remained > 60FPS at high settings and 1080p)
    - Battery life was 3hrs 25mins with browser test.
    - Slight vibration can be felt in the system due to fan.
    - Touchpad is not ultra-sensitive and so far have not had any random moving of the cursor because of it.
    - Bottom panel held on by three screws, lift up from side to pivot open, everything accessible: CPU, GPU, RAM, 2xmSATA, 1xSATA, Wi-fi
    - Keyboard is solid, no missed keystrokes, two levels of white backlight.
    - Propping up the back of the laptop reduces peak temps by about 7-10C !!!
    - GTX 765m will run sustained at 900MHz with Boost 2.0 (stock)

Backlit Keyboard:
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/1KRT2eN.jpg[/image]

Bottom Opened:
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/GnqIpsj.jpg[/image]

Wild Animals:
    [​IMG]

Here's images of the NP9150/P150EM, NP7330/W230ST, NP6110/W110ER LCD's (Left to right) = 15.6" LG 72% Gamut 1080p, 13.3" Chi Mei IPS 1080p, 11.6" AUO 315C 768p

It's really difficult to take a good photo for this type of thing with my camera, so sorry if it's not better.

Front Head on Full Brightness:
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/XsT8CBX.jpg[/image]

Front Head on Min Brightness:
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/7g9hltb.jpg[/image]

LCD's full tilt back (~ 135 deg)
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/Yy3IlqP.jpg[/image]

LCD's top down
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/kx17Mv6.jpg[/image]

LCD's From left side of laptops
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/cD4tX0c.jpg[/image]

LCD's from right side of laptops
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/ZvxqNbd.jpg[/image]

I did some quick and dirty videos to show you guys some detail. This is basically raw footage, sorry for that, and I'm no cinematographer or presenter, so you'll have to live it.

SPECIAL THANKS TO LPC DIGITAL and LARRY especially for expediting this order.

But here's some videos to help out from the start. More details will be coming as fast as I can post them:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uz05XpeHAqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R3Pm3-j261s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0cgtAcWSToM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QutTmEdGBCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jfsv41gUa0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. HTWingNut

Reserved for future posting!

3. WCFire

WCFire Notebook Evangelist

Looking forward to the review!

I think what would also be helpful is a size comparison of the screens of the W230ST with the other models and perhaps also a shot of the backlit keyboard?

4. HTWingNut

Thanks for suggestions... all in good time, all in good time.

5. rmmrolf

rmmrolf Notebook Consultant

Nice! Why do I get excited even though I'm not the one unboxing it. Lol

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Notebook Deity

Awesome! So is this one your (personal) machine that you ordered, or an engineering sample that was sent to you for review purposes?

I really hope that the one I ordered will have the Chimei display as well. Supposedly the reason why they are shipping with the AUO display is because the Chimei one is discontinued, or will be discontinued soon.

7. HTWingNut

This is regular product and my personal little tough guy. :D

8. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Notebook Evangelist

Now get busy checking out the thermal properties for us... :D

I didn't even bother to watch the unboxing as I figured it be the same as the 8250 given that Sager's packaging is, well, basic...

Win7 or Win8? BTW...

9. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Yo HTwingnut, good stuff man!! So the W230ST from Larry LPC is a Chi Mei huh so that means it is the better one compared to the AUO. Btw bro, i ordered my W230ST from Larry yesterday and he is a great guy and we talk for a few minutes on the phone and i told him about you and how you recommended LPC Digital compared to the other resellers so i went for him. :thumbsup:

10. Prema

Prema Little Bios Mod

Let's do something about that BIOS... ;)

11. 6cef

6cef Newbie

HWT - nice videos, thanks! Looking forward to a thorough review. Also read your review of the NP8250... wondered if I could ask you (and anyone else who wants to chime in) a question.

I'm looking for a machine for gaming & development.... wondering if you could give a subjective recommendation between the NP7330 and the NP8250.

The $ delta between my chosen configs would be about $600.

I'm trying to figure out if the 780M & extra RAM in the NP8250 are worth it, or if the portability of the NP7330 wins out. Same processor (4800) and same drives (SSD & 1TB HDD).

Thanks in advance!

-Colin

12. HTWingNut

Woot! Got your PM, back at ya! :D

device properties or hwinfo64 then google.

13. 6cef

6cef Newbie

first, apologies if this messages winds up being posted twice... looks like my initial question didn't wind up in the thread.

HTW: thanks for the videos and the excellent reviews. looking forward to seeing more about the np7330.

i was wondering if i might be able to get your (or anyone else who might like to chime in) subjective impression of the np7330 vs the np8250. (and thanks for the nice review of that machine, as well.)

i'm looking for a gaming & development machine. the $ delta of the configs i'm looking at is about $600... and i'm weighing whether the 780M and extra ram on the np8250 is worth it, or if the added portability and lower price of the np7330 win out.

would really appreciate any thoughts.

thanks,
    colin

14. WCFire

WCFire Notebook Evangelist

Did the fans burst in even at light loads?

15. lemonmilk

lemonmilk Newbie

Thanks for the quick review. The LCD info is really great.

Just wondering, can this laptop output to 2 external monitors simultaneously?

16. Colpolite

Colpolite Notebook Deity

HT, you said it suffers from kb ghosting, can you tell me if these key combo works when you get a chance?

Q+W+D or Q+W+Spacebar and W+E+Spacebar

Microsoft Applied Sciences Group

17. HTWingNut

Yes. But I expect it to be fixed with a BIOS update soon. There were similar issues with the new released other laptops.

Those work fine.

It's the Q+W+E + Z,X,C,V, or SPACE that don't work.

18. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

How are the load temps?

19. fandangoex

fandangoex Notebook Enthusiast

Ahhh so should I expect a lesser looking screen if I order in a couple weeks?

20. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

I'm waiting for that battery life assessment :D