HTWingNut's Sager NP7330 / Clevo W230ST First Impressions WITH VIDEOS!

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jul 17, 2013.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    THIS THREAD CLOSED TO AVOID MULTIPLE THREADS AND AVOID CONFUSION. PLEASE CONTINUE CONVERSATION AT THIS THREAD: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...np7330-clevo-w230st-review-3.html#post9298430

I finally got my little guy. I'm naming him Defiant based on the "though little ship" commanded by Worf in Star Trek First Contact.

NOTES:
    - LCD is CMN 1343 or Chi Mei Innolux N133HSE-EA1: Innolux N133HSE-EA1 Stock 510 pcs - Panelook.com
    - 2133MHz Kingston RAM is running at 1866MHz out of the gate with i7-4800MQ
    - Fn+1 full speed fan works like in other Sager notebooks
    - Looks like Intel XTU will allow voltage adjustments to CPU!
    --- UPDATE: Sustained 3.5GHz all four cores with i7-4800MQ at <80C, dropping voltage 0.125V.
    - Fan profile needs some work. It tends to burst time and again, and if spiked with a benchmark like Intel XTU or SuperPi or whatever the temps will go to 80C+ before the fan kicks in.
    - Keyboard ghosting same as other Clevo keyboards
    - Temperature on the keyboard after a 20 minute BF3 gaming session was ~ 37C at the WSAD and palm rest/touchpad, and ~47C at the IOPJKL area of keyboard.
    - BF3 gaming session pushed the CPU to 90C but GPU never exceeded 70C (but remained > 60FPS at high settings and 1080p)
    - Battery life was 3hrs 25mins with browser test.
    - Slight vibration can be felt in the system due to fan.
    - Touchpad is not ultra-sensitive and so far have not had any random moving of the cursor because of it.
    - Bottom panel held on by three screws, lift up from side to pivot open, everything accessible: CPU, GPU, RAM, 2xmSATA, 1xSATA, Wi-fi
    - Keyboard is solid, no missed keystrokes, two levels of white backlight.
    - Propping up the back of the laptop reduces peak temps by about 7-10C !!!
    - GTX 765m will run sustained at 900MHz with Boost 2.0 (stock)

Backlit Keyboard:

Bottom Opened:

Wild Animals:
    [​IMG]

Here's images of the NP9150/P150EM, NP7330/W230ST, NP6110/W110ER LCD's (Left to right) = 15.6" LG 72% Gamut 1080p, 13.3" Chi Mei IPS 1080p, 11.6" AUO 315C 768p

It's really difficult to take a good photo for this type of thing with my camera, so sorry if it's not better.

Front Head on Full Brightness:

Front Head on Min Brightness:

LCD's full tilt back (~ 135 deg)

LCD's top down

LCD's From left side of laptops

LCD's from right side of laptops

I did some quick and dirty videos to show you guys some detail. This is basically raw footage, sorry for that, and I'm no cinematographer or presenter, so you'll have to live it.

SPECIAL THANKS TO LPC DIGITAL and LARRY especially for expediting this order.

But here's some videos to help out from the start. More details will be coming as fast as I can post them:

<iframe width='640' height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uz05XpeHAqA" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width='640' height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R3Pm3-j261s" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width='640' height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0cgtAcWSToM" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width='640' height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QutTmEdGBCI" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width='640' height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jfsv41gUa0k" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lasted edited by : May 6, 2015
  2. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Reserved for future posting!

3. WCFire

WCFire Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looking forward to the review!

I think what would also be helpful is a size comparison of the screens of the W230ST with the other models and perhaps also a shot of the backlit keyboard?

4. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Thanks for suggestions... all in good time, all in good time.

5. rmmrolf

rmmrolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice! Why do I get excited even though I'm not the one unboxing it. Lol

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome! So is this one your (personal) machine that you ordered, or an engineering sample that was sent to you for review purposes?

I really hope that the one I ordered will have the Chimei display as well. Supposedly the reason why they are shipping with the AUO display is because the Chimei one is discontinued, or will be discontinued soon.

7. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    This is regular product and my personal little tough guy. :D

8. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Now get busy checking out the thermal properties for us... :D

I didn't even bother to watch the unboxing as I figured it be the same as the 8250 given that Sager's packaging is, well, basic...

Win7 or Win8? BTW...

9. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:
    Yo HTwingnut, good stuff man!! So the W230ST from Larry LPC is a Chi Mei huh so that means it is the better one compared to the AUO. Btw bro, i ordered my W230ST from Larry yesterday and he is a great guy and we talk for a few minutes on the phone and i told him about you and how you recommended LPC Digital compared to the other resellers so i went for him. :thumbsup:

10. Prema

Prema Little Bios Mod

Reputations:
    Let's do something about that BIOS... ;)