1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HTWingNut's Sager NP6110 / Clevo W110ER First Look & Review

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, May 3, 2012.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

Just buy a tube yourself and repaste. Takes 10 minutes, literally. All you need is the IC Diamond, 90% or greater isopropyl alcohol, paper towel, lint free q-tips if you really want to do a detailed job cleaning.

2. Yiddo

Yiddo Believe, Achieve, Receive

+1 for a very thorough review.

My fears about the heat and power consumption eventually turned out to be true however those idle temps are a little too heavy for my liking :( I currently sit at 34oC idle on my AW and do not see above 70oC at all + the battery would be no good for me either when I can get a solid 6 hours browsing and 2.5-3 at a push when intensive gaming. I am glad I made the right choice and didn't wait however having a quad core with double the Graphical performance both dedicated and integrated with a cooling system that small and effective is intriguing.

There is still no sign of this Clevo or Sager in the UK so I didn't really have much choice, this thing with a ULV and a backlit keyboard would certainly change my mind and go hand in hand with my 170 but I still believe this should have come with the 640M GT instead however with the performance output the kepler GPU gives which makes a mockery of the 5 series ;) I probably will be buying the R2 version of this pray it arrive.

3. HTWingNut

It's not the GPU that's the problem, it's the CPU. And it idles at 60C only because the fan never runs. GPU is always less than 80C even when CPU is at 90C. And even with the CPU hot, you don't feel it anywhere except at the exhaust. The keyboard and bottom are completely lukewarm if that.

In any case, looking forward to the Ivy Bridge dual cores to see what they can bring to the table.

In any case, just ran through some Diablo 3 Settings High, 1366x768, 80-100fps no problem. Didn't think there would be, but no worries whatsoever. Temps while playing were 76C CPU, 70C GPU.

4. mokofoko

mokofoko Notebook Consultant

I see the bit in your review about the paste now. That seems like a good idea--repped you. I've got too many tubes of the "good stuff" stored away. Now leaning towards picking up a barebones i7 unit for $920 shipped...

5. windsortheater

windsortheater Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks so much! Wondering if you could run at 1080p as well? If there is a view distance setting in the demo - could you specify what it's at?

thanks very much... I really appreciate the info!

6. uopnvidia

uopnvidia Notebook Consultant

u think 70% alcohol would be good, thats all i ahve with me right now

7. HTWingNut

70% will be fine, just higher % means less residue. I can find alcohol at 90%+ at my local drug store or grocer store for $1.50.

8. MexicanSnake

MexicanSnake Juay de rito?

Hey HTWingNut can you do a deeper Diablo 3 review? and turn everything on and high? you know AA, Vsync. I'm a HUGE Diablo fan, being honest the main reason I bought this machine was Diablo 3 :p lol. GREAT to see those numbers and temps on Diablo 3 can't wait to get mine...

9. Baenwort

Baenwort Notebook Evangelist

HTWingNut:

I'm not sure what Anandtech is doing different but they got a very different Cinebench score then what you reported.

Theirs: [​IMG]

Yours: [​IMG]

They did have the 3720QM chip in but I wouldn't have expected that to have such a large effect upon the scoring. Could Eurocon have done something in the BIOS that disabled the problem you saw with the GT650 and the 3610QM??

10. HTWingNut

Yeah, if you turn off dedicated GPU, then I get same scores they do. It's the throttle issue. Not sure if they did something different in that Monster laptop with the BIOS. Their battery life is like 5.5 hours too.

11. HTWingNut

12. Nyarmith

Nyarmith Notebook Enthusiast

13. HTWingNut

For $65, I'll take the actual screen. Cheapest I could get previously was $150 from Mythlogic. If I could only find it more than $65-$75, I would have gone with the protector.

14. Megacharge

Megacharge Custom User Title

15. LaptopUserExtreme

LaptopUserExtreme Notebook Consultant

Does this one have better color gamut or brightness? I can't find much description about the screen other than the price in their website.

16. Nyarmith

Nyarmith Notebook Enthusiast

Ah, I'm too cheap for that price(and I find it senseless to have more electronics). Could you recommend a good matte screen protector since the only reputable option that I can find is this thing.

17. LaptopUserExtreme

LaptopUserExtreme Notebook Consultant

Well... I got Amazon.com: 3M Privacy Filter for 11.6 Inch Widescreen Laptop (PF11.6W9): Electronics for the 19.96 price, seeing that it's easy to carry around and use outdoors, while I can leave it off when using it indoors without hassle. I don't want to deal with the air bubbles and all. I am concerned about the brightness, but it looks like other screens (like the one HT recommended) don't have much better max brightness either (230 for the default vs 200 from B116XW02, according to anantech's review)

18. Cpt.Derrek

Cpt.Derrek Notebook Geek

Alright! Just got my Sager NP6110 in the mail yesterday. spent some time getting everything up and running. seems as though i got a different A/C adapter than HT did. Its still 120W but this one has a fan in it. Ill upload some picts later as I have to go to work soon.

Here are my specs, I7 3610qm, 750gb seagate momentus XT, 8gb 1600Mhz RAM, and intel wireless 6235. I have also already applied my IC Diamond thermal paste.

19. Heihachi_1337

Heihachi_1337 Notebook Deity

Grats on your new laptop!

A fan in the AC adapter? That seems a bit odd, please post some pics!

20. HaveFallen

HaveFallen Notebook Geek

That is odd, if it works, can I have the name? I may want to purchase one in the near future.