HP ZBook Studio G3 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by Billy Cantor, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adamcs

Adamcs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I am becoming more and more interested in the studio. I wish it had dedicated TouchPad buttons and a track point...

2. bee144

bee144 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Billy said the 4K non dream color display is good but has a view gripes with his display. What are your thought on your systems display?

I don't need a color accurate display but some days I'm away from my desk and spend 10 hours staring at the built in screen so it's important to have something that's easy on the eyes ;) My 2560x1440 display on my X1 Carbon (gen 2) is complete crap and I want to avoid another low quality screen.

3. GosuDesign

GosuDesign Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The non-DreamColor 4K UHD display looks pretty good. Didn't notice any light leakage on the edges. from the documentation, it's from Sharp and is ultra wide viewing angle / IPS so the viewing angles are ideal. Also, the brightness nits is 340 relative to Lenovo P50 which is only 300 nits. One of the biggest dealbreakers for me for the Dell precision 5510 was that it was UHD Touch only so it had a glossy screen with no anti-glare - so it would be a fingerprint magnet. I think matte 4K screen is the way to go

I do agree - that ideally, it would have been better to get it color calibrated from factory but it does cover the AdobeRGB color space as Billy said and you can use your own color calibration tool. :D:D:D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    bee144 likes this.
  4. Vincent C

Vincent C Newbie

Reputations:
    Does the screen show any banding/posterization? If so, what's the smallest change in <R,G,B> grayscale before stepping to the next color?

Also, how many bits is the panel?

5. bee144

bee144 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    +1 for Vinvent's question.

Also, are the HP screens user upgradeable? IE, I order the 4k IPS screen today and then buy the 4K DC display when it comes out? Has anyone tried anything similar?

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No one knows for sure about the Studio G3. However, past experience on these boards upgrading a non-DC unit, namely an EliteBook 8740w, to DC, is a complicated process - not to mention it's very difficult to source the parts. There are other components besides the screen that need to be purchased. The bottom line is, if you want DC, buy it that way.

Charles

bee144 likes this.
  7. Eson

Eson Newbie

Reputations:
    I would love to know some more about the battery life. You don't have to run any test but just a general feel, are we talking 4-5h surfing or 7-8h?. The quickspec doesn't even have a rating, its only XX hours XX minutes. HP always has bold claims that they never deliver on, I saw in the Elitebook G3 QS that they promised 13,5h on the 840. I would be glad if I could get 7-8h with this one with light workload and 1080p non touch and without discrete graphics.

8. ApopoBanana

ApopoBanana Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    dreamcolor display release date will be in the next 4 months ?
    and it will only come in 4k resolution no 1080p ?

9. bee144

bee144 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    HP Quick Specs state 1H16, meaning anytime between now and June 30th.

Only a 4K version of the Dreamcolor display has been announced as of now. No indication of a 1080p DC.

10. seadan

seadan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Billy Cantor are you using this with any non-UHD external displays? I'm curious how it (Windows 10) does with having different scaling factors on different displays, and whether apps that aren't DPI aware tend to look OK or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.