HP ZBook Studio G3 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by Billy Cantor, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Cantor

Billy Cantor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good strategy :)

Yes, the area where my extra SSD is installed is designed to accommodate either an M.2 drive (leaving a whole bunch of empty space) or a 2.5" SSD.

Be aware: for the high-end model I ordered, HP did not solder a connector for the 2.5" SSD onto the circuit board. They did include a standoff for an extra M.2 drive, so I assume that they pre-build these machines for one intended configuration or the other. In short: if you're going to want to use a 2.5" SSD, buy a model that comes with a 2.5" drive. Or at least have your HP sales rep confirm that the SATA connector will be soldered on for you in your machine.

GosuDesign likes this.
  2. GosuDesign

GosuDesign Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just got my ZBook Studio yesterday and wowzers it definitely very nice. I can confirm as well that it does come with the special edition NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB card too that the webstore is showing. Sounds like all systems will include it.

My specs below:

Windows 10 64 bit
    Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 2.8Ghz
    15.6" diagonal UHD UWVA IPS anti-glare LED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
    Special Edition - NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB
    32GB ECC Memory (2x16GB)
    512GB Z Turbo Drive (NVMe PCIe SSD)
    WLAN vPro

I was definitely surprised at the drive speed as well....>2GB sequential read. Sounds like its the 2X faster version than what Dell 5510 uses which is the PM950 version. It does feel pretty rugged as well - the military standard 810G certification adds a nice "peace of mind" stamp to the overall build quality - I think.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. GosuDesign

GosuDesign Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    as I understand it from reading the documentation , ZBook Studio will only support M2 drives - i don't think there are any 2.5" drives available - its very thin space available when you consider the 2.5" drive bracket. I think the ZBook 15u and ZBook 15 do support 7 mm drives but ZBook Studio does not.

Btw amazing writeup, thanks for sharing with everyone your insight! I'm part of the Studio club too now hahao_Oo_O

4. Billy Cantor

Reputations:
    Woot! What do you think of your new machine? I'm excited to hear that others are getting theirs too...

Between the super-fast CPU and the super-fast drive, I feel weird when I power it up: aren't computers supposed to take more than a few seconds to go from "off" to "ready to serve you, master"? :)

BTW, quick tip if you keep touching the huge touchpad with your palm: I switched off "allow taps on your touchpad" option in Touchpad Settings and also switched to Microsoft "Precision Touchpad" mode.

Any tips and tricks you can share with me as well?

5. Billy Cantor

Reputations:
    This confused me as well. I don't know what thickness is supported, but 2.5" drives are supported on some ZBook Studio models.

Here's a good explanation from HP, in the service manual...
    http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/...934839&docId=emr_na-c04925075&docLocale=en_US

From page 45: HP has two SATA (2.5" drive) options: a 128GB TLC SSD and a 256GB SATA3 self-encrypting SSD--plus a Solid-state drive bracket.

From page 46: HP shows a diagram explaining how to install/remove a 2.5" SATA SSD ("hard drive").

From page 47: Diagram showing how to install/remove the bracket and special 2.5" SSD SATA adapter connector. Note that the adapter connector marked as "3" on this diagram has nowhere to go in your and my laptops: HP left the mating connecting off of the motherboard and gave us a second M.2 connector/riser instead.

Happy to share, and feeling lucky that I got one of the very first machines. Looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks about their ZBook Studios, to sharing more tips with each other, etc.

6. GosuDesign

GosuDesign Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm really enjoying it so far - purchased a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter to allow external display connectivity. haven't tinkered much with the touchpad just yet since been working with the lid closed. However, when in mobile mode I do find it helpful that the touchpad controls are accessible via the bottom right task tray and you're able to quickly switch from ALPS to Microsoft PTP mode depending on your preference. ALPS is pretty darn smooth thus far.

Below is a screenshot of my internal system topology - you can do it too by opening up the HP Performance Advisor app - it's pre-installed I believe. This is where I confirmed the 4GB special edition graphics card.:D

Screen.jpg

7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I am glad both of you are enjoying your machines. Sounds like they are very nice. I like that its possible to disable the hybrid graphics on the Zbook Studio, that should make running Linux much simpler.

I am very happy with the Lenovo P50, and I do prefer Synaptics hardware over Alps. We really have lots of awesome choices of hardware this time around!

8. Billy Cantor

Reputations:
    P.S. A bit more display info (measured on my laptop, with an i1Display Pro):

Luminance: 251 cd/m^2
    Contrast ratio: 1068:1

9. Neoblazzer

Neoblazzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @ Billy or GosuDesign
    What's your experience regarding Win10 scaling on your 4K displays?
    I'm thinking about FHD display + Win7. Do you think that scaling will work better on FHD than on 4K (with Win7)?

Thank you.

10. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Scaling issues will be vastly reduced if you go with the FHD screen. Depending on what software and/or combinations of external monitors/projectors you use, you could be in a world of hurt if you choose the UHD display.

I have tried setting some UHD displays (on display in my local Best Buy) to FHD resolution (essentially grouping the pixels in groups of exactly four), and the results have been disappointing. The FHD display you get this way is significantly lower quality than a native FHD display. For me the conclusion is to stay away from UHD displays for Windows. Windows 10 works better than 7 in that regard, but there's still plenty of issues.

Neoblazzer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.