HP ZBook Studio G3 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by Billy Cantor, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjozsa

kjozsa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh and according to a HP salesman this machine was built on the base of the Omen / Omen Pro.. might be just a legend though ;)

2. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Using PCMark8 seems to be the standard way of testing - with wifi on and screen at normal brightness

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Great review! Interesting to see it has an Alps Touchpad. That is probably a first for HP.

My only question is if the bios has a dedicated graphics only option. That would help make a Linux install a bit easier.

4. Adamcs

Adamcs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I 've been sitting on the fence for sometime. I need to replace my old macbook pro in the near future.
    I thought I would give windows a chance.
    My short list is as follows:
    - lenovo p50
    - dell 7510
    - hp zbook studio g3

My priorities:
    - build quality and durability (have small kids around and work sometimes at home
    - keyboard quality (I have to write lots of strategies)
    - display (apple spoiled me, so I want a better display)
    - future proofness (would like to keep it for a few years)

I don't mind weight, but of course better portability ie less weight is an advantage and so is better battery life

You wrote that you tried a couple of rivals , though did not specify which ones.
    Could you elaborate on keyboard and durability (naturally you can't have hands on experience concerning durability)?

Right now, I am leaning towards dell 7510 as I was quoted a really attractive price that lenovo can't match. However, a big company would source it for me, so they might
    get the same discount from HP (I'll find out in the coming days).

Thanks
    Cheers
    Adam

5. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Great review, thanks. How about pictures of the laptop with lid open?
    Hey, I had to ask ;)

P.S.: Gosh, your screenshots remind me of how much I hate those Windows 10 controls. For cryin' out loud, why, in 2015, do we need to go back to DOS-style ASCII art from the 1980s? Been there, done that. Sheesh... :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  6. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My take on this: If you're already used to and invested in OS X, and given how much Windows has deteriorated since Windows 7, then I would not move over to Windows now if I were you. As a matter of fact, I am still debating with myself whether I should abandon Windows. This is coming from someone with a huge investment in the Windows ecosystem, by the way.

Other than the reinvestment in training and software, if you go Windows you'll also have to deal with the near-non-existing support for high-DPI displays, Microsoft spyware, non-existing app ecosystem, and generally beta-like quality of the OS at this point (although praise for El Capitan right now seems somewhat muted, too...).

Pavel O likes this.
  7. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IMO there is still no manufacturer that can touch the quality and overall feel of a Lenovo keyboard, but I'm also curious about the amount of key travel on the G3 Studio. I suspect, being a super thin machine, the travel is pretty shallow.

8. kjozsa

kjozsa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess that gets pretty much subjective at this point. Having a background of 8+ years with various Elitebooks, I do prefer those keyboards to my friend's X1 Carbon's one..

9. Adamcs

Reputations:
    There is a difference between x1 carbon and p50 keyboards AFAIK. Though, I haven't seen the p50 in the flesh ,yet.

10. Adamcs

Reputations:
    I have been a mac user for 15 years for personal purposes. For work, I use Windows too.

Normally, I wouldn't need a workstation. I do edit videos and work with photoshop etc, but not professionally. I would just like to get something that is on par with MBP in terms of build quality.

I am bit bored by Apple products... But I also might be in for a big surprise (disappointment)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.