HP ZBook Studio G3 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by Billy Cantor, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm using Ogio Gambit 17 which fits perfectly.

2. 88elite88

88elite88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Waow, thats a big one...

Looking for a not too bulky one but sturdy/shockproof enough for daily/business travels..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. 88elite88

Reputations:
  4. 88elite88

Reputations:
    anybody?

5. hiu

hiu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Bought a new Zbook studio g3 (base model 6700hq) 4 days ago.
    Wondering if some had these issues.
    Sometimes screen flickers (from backlit up panel to just white panel with lines), after sleep or when started up.
    First i thought it had something to do with sleepmode/hibernation, but not the case.
    1 Time screen just didn't start only backlit ,had to start up 2 times.
    When i close the screen i hear and feel a click in the screen (slightly past the vertical up position), seems to come from right hinge, but feel it through the screen backplate.

Windows 10 all new drivers for hardware and graphics cards (intel and quadro).

Keyboard has ones stoped working for 2 mins.

This all in about 8 hours of usage.

Is this normal?

Was a Lenovo boy (thinkpad), switched because of lack of service (repair), but not used to this.

Recommendations?

6. Thunderbolt96

Thunderbolt96 Newbie

Reputations:
    ZBook Studio G3 owner here, I've had mine for about a year and haven't used it much because of work providing me a T480 fully specced out (8650u, 32gb RAM, 512gb SSD, MX150).

Some notes I have learned:
    • on occasion, the audio may stop working (?) completely. Fix this by resetting the BIOS settings.
    • YOU CAN DOWNGRADE THE 4K IPS PANEL, it makes a huge difference with battery life. You must remove the extra brackets for the UHD screen and replace the display cable with a 30-pin eDP. This uses the same part number for both kinds of cables--don't be worried if it says it is for another model. As long as the cable's model number matches, you are fine. This only cost me $85 total including cable. Cable is the APW5U, which is used by many other HP devices. It must be the 30-pin for 1080p. When replacing the display, make sure to unplug the battery and, be careful to unplug the touch controller (that little card below the display) as well.
    • The Dock does NOT play nice with the M1000M on occasion, causing stuttering in Edge specifically.
    • eGPU works perfectly, however, you should use an AMD GPU so as to not conflict with the M1000M, or, use a Quadro if you intend to use NVidia graphics.
    • Disabling the internal GPU basically multiplies battery life. 10-20% performance hit for external, have not tried internal.
    • The secondary SSD slot is actually the primary in BIOS. Both can take SATA or NVMe.
    • The 92wh ZBook Studio G4 battery is fully compatible with the G3, and it has also been confirmed by some HP KBs that regard that the second SSD slot becomes inaccessible if the battery is upgraded.
    • I have been able to undervolt the 6700hq by -.140 volts, up to -.165 (unstable), which adds about 30 to 45min battery life.
    • The Thunderbolt 3 HP dock can pass through the port to an eGPU enclosure. my Akitio Node works perfectly with the set. There is no boot image because as far as I know, no UEFI firmware can auto-detect the UEFI GOP of the external enclosure.
    • Bitlocker recovery will be invoked if you power on the laptop with the dock plugged in or vice versa when BL is set up in the other condition. This may be disabled through Bitlocker/group policy but it really isn't worth the hassle.
    • The maximum RAM I have found is 32GB, which is my machine. I have not attempted 64GB as the 32GB modules are cost-prohibitive, but likely it would work.
    • There is absolutely no way to get this laptop to charge over USB-C. I have not tried 120/135w chargers.
    • I have been unable to get Windows 7 to play nicely with the NVMe SSD, however, it isn't really necessary to use it.
    • Linux HATES the M1000M, even with drivers. Disable it if you intend to use Linux, or just use VMWare Workstation.
    • Core Isolation memory protection (hypervisor kernel) mode in Windows does work provided you install Hyper-V, on this machine.

7. pseudolobster

pseudolobster Newbie

Reputations:
    So for those talking about a 2.5" drive, it's not going to happen. There's a space that could hold one, but there is no bracket to hold it, and the header for the cable is not soldered to the board.

The secondary (actually primary) M.2 slot can hold a 22110 (110mm) drive, though there's no way to screw it in.

If the touchpad starts getting more difficult to click, the battery is beginning to bulge and should be replaced.

I didn't have that issue. Actually, the GPU and touchpad are two things that seem to work better in linux than windows. I've been able to set mine up with bumblebee so that optimus works. Been running Debian Sid on it for over a year now, without any real issues.

Now, as for things that bug me about this laptop, the touchpad in windows is a big one. Palm detection doesn't work well, so you need to disable tap to click. But the click function of the touchpad is also broken in a couple ways. For one, the touchpad hinges from the top, and the button is at the bottom, so this means the top half of the touchpad either isn't clickable, or takes a huge amount of force to click. As you're trying to apply that force, the cursor doesn't stop moving, so you end up clicking away from where you were trying to click. Then, the zone for the right click takes up 1/3 of the vertical space. Since you can only click in the bottom 1/2 of the touchpad, left click is suddenly a very small region in bottom left of this enormous pad, which, if you're right-handed, means moving your hand waaaay to the left of the center of the laptop to click. As someone who's owned Elitebooks and Zbooks before, this is a huge annoyance. They all used to have physical buttons, but they gave it up for aesthetics here.

Another place they prioritized form over function is the thermal design. I haven't seen any review mention this, but the GPU in this thing starts throttling at 70c, and continues to throttle harder and harder until the GPU drops from 1250mhz / 2500mhz base/mem clocks down to 405mhz / 405mhz, dropping performance to worse than the iGPU. When the GPU is enabled and idling, doing nothing, it reaches 65c. Throttling at 70c is absurd.

When it starts throttling, the fan never reaches above 65% speed. In fact, the fans on this thing NEVER run full speed, even when the CPU starts throttling at 100c. I get that this is supposed to compete with a macbook, and macbooks are quiet, but this laptop has been crippled to the point the GPU may as well not exist.

All in all, it's a sexy, well built machine, with some huge gaping flaws that aren't present on the big chunky Zbooks like the Zbook 15 and 17.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.