HP ZBook Studio G3 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by Billy Cantor, Jan 23, 2016.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Which review are you referring to? My Zbook Studio G3 gets pretty good (6 to 7 hours at idle) battery life but I use a SATA SSD + FHD display and have no dedicated (Quadro) graphics. I think the standard review model is usually a high end spec so its typically going to get bad battery life.

As far as the display goes HP uses many different panel brands. My model came with an LG IPS panel which is pretty bright, but not as bright as the Dreamcolor (UHD) panel. I have also heard of HP using AUO and Samsung panels with similar specs (AHVA or PLS). However its a random chance what you get depending on what HP has on hand at the time.

2. markkmarkk

markkmarkk Newbie

Reputations:
    There are only a few reviews....and the latest one is from laptop mag . Never mind, I placed my order without even going to see one. My Zbook Studio G4 will arrive before September.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

3. markkmarkk

markkmarkk Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally got mine. It is much heavier than I thought and build quality is very good indeed

win32asmguy likes this.
  4. xniala

xniala Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm about to buy a 2nd hand zbook studio G3, how to check if the display is LG, Samsung.. ?
    Thanks

5. xniala

xniala Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    another question : it seems difficult to find spare batteries.
    Do you think HP will continue producing and selling them in the future ?

Thanks

6. 88elite88

88elite88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there...

New owner of zbook studio g3 here... Could any1 share any sturdy bag recommendation for this beast perhaps?

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I use a Case Logic SLR Camera Backpack:

https://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/products/camera/backpacks/slr-camera-backpack-_-dcb_-_309_-_black

It fits both the Zbook Studio G3 and Zbook 15 G3 perfect. Most of the time I am just carrying my EOS-M and extra computer junk, but it does fit my friend's 5d mk ii with a couple of lenses just fine. Its great for both walking and riding, and so far the sewing has held up to pretty good use over the last year and a half I have owned it.

8. purezerg

purezerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    anyone here managed to get a 94wh (907584-852) battery? apparently it comes with the G4. I am trying to replace my battery but doesn't seem to be able to find anywhere selling it.

9. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In Zbook studio G3 standard display is IPS/UWVA (not DreamColor, but there is also - G3 - UHD, not DC), the display is SHP1445, but when we read the review about ZBook Studio G4 with DC we can see:

"Our test model is equipped with the DreamColor option, which promises very good results for the color accuracy and color gamut. We were a bit surprised that the panel is actually the exact same model from Sharp (SHP1445) that we already know from the Studio G3, which lacked the DreamColor addition.
    The only difference between the two options is probably just the DreamColor tool with different color profiles."

So we can suppose that both in DC and non-DC (4K) is the same display, but only one difference is device Dreamcolor with the different color profile.

Colors mainly green DC and in IPS is at some point different so how to understand this?

Hard to find sth that will explain it but we can see this:

"The HP DreamColor technology for displays and mobile workstations provides an RGB LED backlight that allows the display to be precisely calibrated to the specific color temperature required for print without reducing the range of colors that can be displayed onscreen."

so the main point is physical RGB backlight, so how it has to mention above the same display in DC model and also without it.

The new QuickSpecs don't help and wrote some stupidity.

10. purezerg

purezerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sounds silly but anyone here running with throttlestop? Is your zbook studio TDP reduce to 35w ish? I have a E3-1545m but my CPU with 1 thread on prime95 does 3.6Ghz and and 3 threads does 2.5Ghz.

I have another laptop, zbook 15, i7-6820HQ, and I ran some basic benchmark that came with throttlestop.

6820HQ 2.7-3.6Ghz 1545m 2.9-3.8Ghz 4940mx
    1 thread 50s 57s 40s
    2 thread 24s 28s 20s
    4 thread 12s 15s 11s
    8 thread 7s 9s 6s

ironically zbook G2 is faster than both G3 by 20%

if that's the case you basically can run the cheapest CPU and still being on par with the fastest xeon CPU. anyone realizes that?

intel ark says 2.9 - 3.8Ghz but zbook's firmware only allows you to run approx. 2.5 - 3.6Ghz.

no it's not heat related. CPU temps are 55C max at any core when running prime95 max heat.
    I swapped the thermal paste and replaced/added thermal pads. but don't see any improvement.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018