HP ZBook Studio G3 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by Billy Cantor, Jan 23, 2016.

1. sangerpublic

sangerpublic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys

I got a refurbished Zbook Studio from woot.com recently(6700hq+16G+512G+1080P). The laptop is great. But the battery life is a little disappointing. The battery can only last for about four hours.

My use case: Chrome(YouTube occasionally) + Office + pdf viewing + OneDrive/Dropbox

According to notebookcheck's review, Dell XPS 15 with a similar configuration(6300hq+8G+1T HDD, HDD needs more power than SDD but maybe i5 needs less than i7) and smaller battery(56Wh) can last for about 6.5 hours. I hope I could get a similar battery life...

2. YzRacer212

YzRacer212 Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow! I spent way too many hours trying to fix my Zbook Studio and only learned this week about the Samsung 950 Pro issues! I tried every BCD fix in the world due to the winload.efi 225 error that occurred when trying to upgrade or boot into recovery.

Initial install was fine and the computer always booted. Performance was great, but when the first Windows 10 update came out I ran into problems upgrading. I just got a 2TB Samsung 960 pro and was able to use Acronis to copy my 950 over to the 960 and BOOM! Recovery and updates work now, so the 960 is supported.

I can't imagine why this isn't posted all over the internet. I found a few threads but since I was primarily searching for winload.efi and bcd stuff I didn't happen to see anything. It's also crazy that the drive seemed fine until it was time to upgrade.

What's unfortunate is that I had hoped to use my 950 as a boot drive and the 960 as data, but that's not possible since HP and/or Samsung failed on 950 compatibility.

3. Ghoose

Ghoose Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

I just stumbled upon your posts. Can somebody elaborate on the noise/temperatures of the Studio G3? I've been looking at the DreamColor Quattro M1000M configuration for some hours now but am heavily concerned about the noise...

Is there some possibility to deactivate dedicated GPU or underclock the CPU to omit the noise level? I usually don't need so much power but the DreamColor display and the tons of connections (including TB3) looks really promising to me.

Cheers,
    Thomas

4. seadan

seadan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do not believe the dGPU can be deactivated with the Dreamcolor system. The only options are "Discrete" (required for DreamColor to work) and "Hybrid". With a non-DC system, you can disable the dGPU and use an "Integrated" graphics mode.

5. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, the battery is disappointing. Battery is rated as 64Whr, but mine with 50 cycles have 56Whr... Also, there is lots of free space available to increase battery capacity, but who cares in HP what battery should have $2k+ workstation laptop nowadays... Seems like only Dell cares about that. Their new refreshed lineup comes with 97Whr and Kaby Lake - so sweet. But despite battery and speakers, i really like my Studio. I wish, HP will listen to their customers and make Studio G4 even better.

6. garychencool

garychencool Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow that really sucks if it's true that they physically stopped the support of other NVMe SSDs (and maybe even RAM? Probably not, just have same DDR4 and speed spec and it should be fine). However, I think HP specifically blocked the 950 Pro due to the issues people had with it previously.

Has anyone used the 960 Pro and how is it?

7. indig0

indig0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm considering buying G4 model and I have a few questions regarding G3 model (I guess it's very similar to the G4):
    - Can the laptop be charged via Thunderbolt3 ports?
    - Do I need to get model with discrete graphics in order to get DreamColor display and keep that discrete graphics always enabled? I don't need discrete graphics and would prefer to go with the Intel integrated graphic.
    - Does the laptop support Nvidia Optimus?
    - Does the laptop have coil whine issue?

8. indig0

indig0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. seadan

seadan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From what I understand on the G3: Yes, DreamColor requires the NVIDIA graphics chip. If you want DreamColor enabled, you must be discrete-only, and cannot use the Intel or Optimus modes. The BIOS lets you switch to disable the discrete graphics, but then you won't get the full DreamColor experience. I don't know if they've made any changes with the G4 in this regard.

10. markkmarkk

markkmarkk Newbie

Reputations:
    Very glad to find a dedicated user's thread about this laptop. I have been looking for a laptop for mobile Photoshop/Lightroom uses. Previously was looking for MacBookPro and Dell Precision 5520/XPS15. Well this offer comes up with Studio G4 with FHD at 2K price. From the spec it looks promising but...I am held back by its rather mediocre review from NotebookCheck.net esp concerning the poor battery performance and dim FHD display. Can any of our precious users give me any more encouraging advices?