HP ZBook Studio G3 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'HP' started by Billy Cantor, Jan 23, 2016.

1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What are your opinions of the P50 display? Lots of complaints about that in other threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The P50 display I had (an LG with ~90% sRGB) was great. However Lenovo was using multiple panels so you had the possibility to get one with much lower gamut. The 4k P50 screen is a better display, so you would want to go with that one if you are doing any kind of color sensitive work. Or, better yet, just get a Zbook 15 G3 / Zbook Studio G3 with a Dreamcolor panel, which are binned Sharp IGZO panels that have the best gamut.

3. Groovadelickun

Groovadelickun Newbie

Reputations:
    You may have already tried this, but just making sure you had loaded the HP Hotkey Support software?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/...id=8934841&swItemId=ob_175164_1&swEnvOid=4192

4. Groovadelickun

Groovadelickun Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't but if you haven't purchased it yet, any reason to go for the SM961 as opposed to the 960 Pro that should be released in several more days? (Oct 30th)
    I've also just started looking into it, but 3,500 MB/sec read & 2,100 MB/sec write looks quite impressive.
    Price looks very close to the current 950 at around $329 for the 512GB & $629 for 1TB.

EDIT: I see from the posts above that there is issues with the Samsung 950 and the Zbook Studio G3.
    Looks like I'll be holding off on that Samsung 960 Pro drive...

5. Shinoke

Shinoke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is this available in the UK with the dreamcolor display?
    Can't see it anywhere. Seems like the same old models being sold still.
    Was meant to be available mid 2016.

The non dreamcolor display's a bit rubbish no?

Been trying to decide between the Dell XPS 15, Precision 5510 or the ZBook Studio for the past year I guess.

The Zbook works out cheaper than the Precision 5510 by some way, while the ZBook's within budget (2k), and the XPS comes under.

Would really like to hook this up to a razor core though, so it can be a full gaming PC when docked.

The graphics cards in all these machines are a bit outdated sadly.

Almost seems better to get a 15 inch laptop with integrated graphics and then use a Razor core.
    I have no need for playing games when out etc.

Although it'll be nice to be able to play some games with reasonable graphics without forking out for an external graphics card right away too.

Iris Pro seems like a great idea.

Aren't we due processor and graphics updates?

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I think on the UK store they only sell preconfigured models. However, I did find this page which suggests that customization is possible if you call in: http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=b-configure-your-pc

The configuration without Nvidia graphics is actually very nice. I have both, and the IGP only configuration runs much cooler and quieter. The FHD is nice too, it only covers 92% sRGB, but the panel uses much less battery power. With a M.2 SATA SSD, FHD Display, and no Nvidia graphics, I can average around 8 hours of battery life in light usage, which is great. The other machine I have, with the M.2 PCIe SSD, UHD Display and the Quadro M1000M, will only get around 5 hours of battery life with the same usage patterns. Also, if you want an eGPU, it may be much simpler to not get a configuration with the Nvidia card built in. I may order a Razer Core to test with my Zbook Studio. It looks like they are in stock at the US store finally. I initially wanted to just get an Akitio Node, but they still are not released yet.

7. pokosoft

pokosoft Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

just a short info, that might get handy to someone. I have searched the net for a list of compatible SSDs before getting my Studio.
    No results, so I did a blind try - succesfully :)

See attached screenshot from Aida64 and photo of installed SSDs:

1st drive- originally equipped by hp 128gb ssd - Crucial MX300, M.2 - 1TB
    - storage for all my work and private files​
    2nd drive - overlaying empty 2,5 hdd space - Intel SSD 600p, NVMe, M.2 - 512GB
    - used to boot system, run apps, store Outlook PSTs etc.​

Total - 1,5 TB of silent, shock-free, portable and energy-efficient disk space :D

The only weird thing is, that second SSD M.2 slot seems to me too long. I tried to fit both SSDs to this slot, and after securing the module with a screw, the SSD was always loose - the slot is about one mm longer than needed. I know, that because of possible heat expansion problems, there needs to be a little extra space, but here it was too big and I was able to secure the SSD only by placing a washer under the screw head.

Stan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  8. superball

superball Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Studio G3 supports disabling optimus? It's very important.

9. seadan

seadan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On the Dreamcolor versions, you can only choose between Hybrid and Discrete modes. For the non-DC versions, I believe you can force it to just use the integrated graphics, but I'm not 100% certain.

10. Billy Cantor

Billy Cantor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I see that quite a few of you tried to follow in my footsteps and install a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD in your ZBook Studio. And had troubles.

This configuration actually worked great in my ZBook Studio. But then my motherboard died and when HP replaced it the new motherboard wouldn't work with the drive. They replaced the motherboard one more time, but it too wouldn't work with the Samsung 950 Pro. It seems that there's either a physical difference between motherboards in any given run...or that a later revision to the ZBook Studio motherboard has killed support for some standards-based SSDs like the Samsung 950 Pro.

I spoke with ZBook Studio support, and they told me that the ZBook Studio is effectively a closed system and isn't tested to work with non-HP drives (or presumably non-HP memory). I know that others have had better luck with other drives--but your best bet honestly is to pick up your ZBook Studio with the memory/storage configuration you ultimately want (even if you spend a bit more on the HP version).

Billy