HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Comal, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comal

Comal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. GosuDesign

GosuDesign Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. dropitharder

dropitharder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/zbook-studio.html

Nice that they are offering the highest end Iris Pro P580. Reduces overall heat and should offer pretty good performance if Intel does their job with the professional app drivers.

But HP's management is pretty idiotic by making those cheap statements in the Slashgear article. Zbook Studio is essentially competing with the Precision 5510 and whatever Lenovo has in store for their thinner workstation. Whichever models offer only the M1000M but still choice of quad-core unlike the dual-core ultrabook series.

It's not competing against Apple if the two target towards different audiences. You wouldn't use a Macbook Pro for SolidWorks or Revit if a job depended on it; likewise, those needing FCP or whatever need to be on OSX anyways. I'd worry more about other PC competitors with pretty similar models.

4. notebookhelp

notebookhelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ugh,

The Studio does not have buttons below the trackpad and the 15u g3 has gone to a full keyboard with numpad. All I need is the dedicated home/end/pgup/pgdn buttons like the Studio without the numpad. Still both are a better solution than the XPS 15 or Latitude version of the XPS 15, IMO. I'm just bracing myself for the reviews or poor battery life and/or loud fans. Hope it's not the case since I really need to upgrade ASAP.

5. dropitharder

dropitharder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Specs say a 64Whr battery. So about 5-6 hours I guess on medium, 2-3 on demanding work.

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Interesting. Looking at the quickspecs it appears that HP intends to offer an option with the i7 but not the Quadro card, similar to how Apple has its base model 15 inch Macbook Pro. This could end up being a really awesome Linux development notebook!

jasperjones likes this.
  7. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope it isnt only 64 Whr :/, really hoped it would at least meet the Dell XPS 15 standard.

8. notebookhelp

notebookhelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder if the 15u G3 is really going up from 0.84" to 1" thick? Hoping that's a typo since it's the exact same as the 15 G3, but the dimensions on the website and spec sheets for both of those models say 1" thick too.

9. GosuDesign

GosuDesign Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From online site the entry class ZBook 15u G3 will be 0.78 or 19.9 mm - the fully featured 15 G3 will be 26 mm , 1" inch thick. Sounds like they may still be working the online links kinks

10. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Studio looks like a contender. Curious if any one can shed light on how well HP thin'n'light business-class machines are built compared to Dell's equivalent (Precision M3800 or new 5510) and what sort of travel and feel the keyboards tend to have. I'd be coming from a Lenovo T440p, so am used to over 2mm of springy travel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.