HP ZBook G3 (Studio, 15u) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by maunakea, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Which G3 did you buy?

1. 15u

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i7-6700HQ

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. i7-6820HQ

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. E3-1505M

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. E3-1545M

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Dreamcolor

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Non-Dreamcolor

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  8. Business 15

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  9. Business 17

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  10. Studio

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kingcow

kingcow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. maunakea

maunakea Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Re: 200W HP TB3 dock with HP ZBook Studio G3.

The HP TB3 dock drivers for Win10x64 1511 version didn't work on 1610 (Anniversary), and the 1610 drivers didn't work on 1703 (Creator). Now that MS forces Win10 versions, you will need to load the latest BIOS and the HP TB3 drivers for each Win 10 version (the dock will charge, but the ports are dead after a new Win 10 version installs), along with related drivers, e.g., Intel Management Engine, Dock Audio. Updating just the TB3 driver and firmware will not work (no TB icon in the system tray) if the BIOS and ALL the supporting drivers are not up to date. The TB3 dock has tentacles everywhere.

The next Win 10 version ("Redstone 3") is now in beta, RTM late 2017, so the TB3 driver cycle will be repeated later this year.

3. seadan

seadan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 150W TB3 dock and I've been updating my Windows versions without having to jump through hoops to keep the dock working. It seems to be just fine for me. But perhaps I'm already ahead by keeping my BIOS and drivers up to date as the new ones come out?

4. maunakea

maunakea Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I infer that you are using the HP Support Assistant app, too. Good rule of practice is to defer a Windows version update until after you run the Support Assistant, then allow a Win version update, then run Support Assistant again. One Elite TS tech told me that the TB3 dock is currently the most problematic hardware device they deal with.

5. jansol

jansol Newbie

Reputations:

Hi,
    I´am just reporting, that I´am still using your Zbook Studio fan profile config on my 15 G3 laptop (I know it´s silly, but it´s the only fan profile with both CPU and GPU fan setup I could find). It´s still better than no config at all, since the fans (mostly just CPU fan) are turning like crazy, even when idle without the fancontrol turned on. I was not able to acquire those EC values to create my own config. The only thing that helped was to fiddle with those temp tresholds a little. But the CPU fan i still making this terrible sound - like an old hard drive - probably it´s confused by the fan control.
    Recently I tested to undervolt the CPU and it´s also a good way to reduce temperatures and power cosumption. On my 6700HQ I successfully achieved -0,130V undervolting without any crashes. I reduced max power draw (package) from 36,4 W to 28,06 W and highest core temp from 73 to 67 celsius! Next thing I´am planning is probably to replace the thermal paste, since there is no "varranty void if removed sticker" on the heatsink, I think it´s worth the risk - will post photos and results later, how is the thermal compoud applied on this machine.

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I am glad the profile is compatible and has helped you. Sadly the 17 G3 I have access to only has Intel graphics so HP shipped it with one fan installed and a heatsink that only covers the processor side of the system. The system can definitely cool more efficiently if both fans run at the same time and speed.

As far as repasting is concerned, I am sure that it would be fine, but those components are technically not customer repairable parts so you may be on the hook if the components somehow got damaged as part of the repasting.

On another note, has anyone here tried the Studio G4's larger battery with a Studio G3 yet? I see that the 92W battery is on backorder in the partsurfer but the price is only $71 which is very reasonable consider a 50% capacity increase if it works.

7. jansol

jansol Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have good news for those with 15 G3, there was a guy on the hp forum, that uploaded his own fan profile made for 15 G3. It most probably uses machine´s own EC values etc. Also someone from the HP employees said, that it´s not good to keep those fans running under 30% speed, because it can demage them (LOL), but unfortunately maybe he was right, because my fans are now making really strange electrical noises (but still working) after several months of NFC....

HP forum, about the fan noise: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Zbook-15-G3-Fan-Activity/td-p/5731987/page/2
    fan profile: https://github.com/xuanguang/Software/tree/master/Fan/NotebookFanCtrl/config

Right now I´am preparing for the repasting. If someone would know the thermal pads thicknesses for AMD GPU, I would be glad. Most probably, those from the factory are ****ty too.

8. kingcow

kingcow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah i did it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzgdA0Z7l4j1Mi00QzB2c1RyY2c/view