HP ZBook G3 (Studio, 15u) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by maunakea, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Which G3 did you buy?

1. 15u

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i7-6700HQ

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. i7-6820HQ

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. E3-1505M

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. E3-1545M

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Dreamcolor

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Non-Dreamcolor

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  8. Business 15

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  9. Business 17

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. Studio

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. garychencool

garychencool Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Something I noticed with the HP ZBook Studio with 1080p display, if you use it wearing sunglasses, you can't really see much of the display. That's a bit annoying. I've never had a laptop with this sort of issue.

2. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could be that it's polarized in a non-standard way (which should only be noticeable with polarized glasses - are yours such?)

3. garychencool

Reputations:
    Yeah that's what I am thinking, it's the same sort of thing with phone screens when you have them in landscape orientation.

It's something that would be slightly annoying for me, I sometimes use laptops outdoors.

4. fk1

fk1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm currently sitting in the beer garden outside with sunny weather, writing from my 1080p studio. I'm sitting faced towards the sun and display is great for work so far. I don't use sunglasses though so I can't say anything about that issue. Besides: Somebody found a compatible powerbank meanwhile? I mean I'm working with full brightness for 1h30m now and seems like I have about 4h39m left. WiFi hotspotting with mobile phone. should be enough but I am still wondering if there is any in case I need a PB.

regards

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I am happy to report today that I have successfully tested an Akitio Node TB3 eGPU with the Zbook Studio G3. After installing the firmware update for the Node available on Akitio's website, the eGPU is essentially plug and play, and works alongside the HD530 as if you had an Optimus setup. Note that my Zbook Studio does not have a Quadro card. The performance so far has been about 85-90% of what you would get from a laptop with a built in GTX 1070 when using an external display, and slightly less if you are using the internal display. I think you may even be able to use a Quadro card in the eGPU so it may be a good way to get more performance at a desk than what the M1000M / M1200M can offer.

huntnyc likes this.
  6. garychencool

Reputations:
    So it turns out my HP ZBook Studio model has the Toshiba 512GB SSD and after doing some tests with AS SSD benchmark, it's terrible. Uncompressed write is about 200MB/s, while every other benchmark with the Samsung SM951 is around 900-1000MB/s uncompressed write.. I feel like I got ripped off by HP (Canada).

Is there any way to know which SSD you would get based on the SKU?