*HP Zbook 17 Owner's Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by yellownurbs, Apr 28, 2014.

1. marcelvn

marcelvn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. mr.z

mr.z Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Folks,

I just converted my G1 ZBook 17 to DreamColor. Yaaay! It was scary, but less painful than I feared…..the whole process was completed in a single morning. The most difficult task by far (!!) was sourcing the two cables and the decoding board. It took me almost two years to research and to hunt down those parts. The decoding board is becoming impossible to find, even in China. The seller only had one in stock.

My problem now, is how best to calibrate the display. HP discontinued the DreamColor Calibration Solution (part B1F63AA) recently, so I have a couple of questions to those who know better:

1. Will an open OEM X-Rite i1Display Pro work with the X-Rite HP Calibration Tool 2.2.0? I know that there are three versions of the i1d3 (retail, open OEM, and proprietary OEM) of which the HP DCS is supposedly the last, but is it? I suppose I will be told to test it, but I can’t just yet because the calibrator is still on its way to me. Does HP use a different unlock code for its OEM i1d3?

2. If hardware calibration fails, I suppose that I can still rely on ArgyllCMS to calibrate the GPU, but how do others feel about this?

3. Is the HP Mobile Display Assistant 3.05 good enough? It’s basic, but the display looks acceptable with it.

On a related note, I see that the Nvidia control panel refuses to allow the selection of 10 bits per channel mode on my Quadro. My impression was that the DreamColor panel is 10 bits and so is the Quadro. Is it the cabling? There is an eDP connector on the motherboard, but it has to go through the decoding board in the lid. Perhaps the signal is degraded there somehow?

3. mr.z

mr.z Newbie

Reputations:
    Following up from my first post, I can report that the open OEM X-Rite i1Display Pro colorimeter arrived. I tested it with the HP Calibration Tool, but unfortunately it does not work. Apparently, I need the proprietary OEM HP device, which is no longer available. I then tried the Mobile Display Assistant, but was very (!!) disappointed with it. It’s too basic and inaccurate for my liking.

So, I calibrated the display with ArgyllCMS, and the results are awesome! It achieved close to 99% coverage in both SRGB and Adobe RGB with an average dE of 0.17! Kudos to DreamColor technology, and to ArgyllCMS for accuracy.

The 10 bpc problem also sorted itself out when I rolled back the graphics driver. I am pleased overall. The effort was well worth it.

4. Barbadadost

Barbadadost Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So i finally bought HP ZBook 17 G2!
    What a piece of art.
    Beautiful machine i must say.

Specs:
    i7 4910mq
    nVidia Quadro k5100m 8gb
    16 GB of looks like crappy samsung 800mhz ddr3
    And terrible hdd 500 gb ,noisy one :)

Screen:Looks like TN Full Hd 3d?
    It is so so...

I replace hdd with kingstone hyperx 256gb ssd with win 10 on it from my hp 8560w and just backup drivers so now working like a charm...

I read a lot abbout hp z turbo drive m.2 pcie ssd and i allready have headacke..

What abbout Dream color panel update?
    What abbout GTX 1070 or 1060?

To be perfectly honest quadro k5100m is perfectly capable card to play my favorite games (fallout 4) on high to ultra and medium settings mixed on 60FPS where i was nicely suprised...

Any thoughts and ideas where and what to upgrade?

Thank you guys
    Cheers

Narwa likes this.
  5. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if the Zbook 17 (G2) will support a eDP panel, and if I could find a eDP cable for it? The motherboard seems to have a eDP socket on board

6. xexexex

xexexex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought HP Zbook 17 G2 DreamColor.

The white color on the screen is too yellowish at 6500k color temperature. Have to set color temperature 9000K or more in "HP Mobile Display Assistant" to offset the yellow. On the other hand, my 8770w has the same dream color panel, but the white color is not yellowish at 6500k.

Can someone offer any insight on this? Both panels are LGD02FC. But both showing completely different white colors at 6500k color temperature.

I am thinking about getting an x-rite display pro but I am not sure whether it would make things better. Will the yellowish tint go away after calibration?

Or, Could it be due to a defective panel? Defective decoder? Is there anything else that could be defective?

7. TGoodwin518

TGoodwin518 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! Brand new to the forums here. :) I just bought a Zbook 17 G1 with the Dreamcolor display. I'd like to share my issues with the forums here in-case anyone else has these same problems, this way if someone else is struggling, they can find a solution, and maybe we can all collaborate to find more *permanent* solutions together, as everything I've done to remedy my issues are just temporary solutions ( at least to me ).

My current specs :
    Core i7 4700MQ
    Quadro K610M ( I plan on upgrading to the 5100M )
    32GB of Kingston HyperX Impact ram

As others may have pointed out, on the Dreamcolor display, by default, 10bpc color depth is not selected in the NVIDIA Control Panel. This causes severe color banding on the display, and it looks worse depending on what you're doing. On the latest NVIDIA drivers supplied by HP, if you try and select 10bpc in the control panel, the screen will flicker black, and then it will revert back to 8bpc again, making it impossible to even select 10bpc. Now, if you revert back to driver version 385.73 ( which Windows will also install by default at first system launch if you don't update any drivers via HP's website ), you can get your GPU to output 10bpc, HOWEVER, something I was noticing is that every time my computer would wake from sleep mode, it would revert to 8bpc. I wanted to test this, so I would change some settings in the control panel to alter what the laptop did when I closed the lid. If I set it to hibernate when the lid was closed? Same thing ( reverts back to 8bpc ). If you restart the laptop, it will remain at 10bpc. It will also stay at 10 if you put it into sleep mode manually by either clicking it in Windows, or by putting it to sleep via the function key on the keyboard.

So I concluded that it ONLY does this if you have windows set to perform an action such as hibernate or sleep when you *close your lid*. I've yet to figure out if this is an issue on NVIDIA's side or Windows side. Either way, I've remedied this by setting windows to "do nothing" when I close my lid, on both battery and A/C power, through the settings. To avoid the laptop from draining power or staying on when i'm not using it, I set it to go to sleep after only 5 minutes of inactivity on both battery and A/C, this way if I forget to put it to sleep manually, it will do it on it's own. It's a bit frustrating since I tend to put my laptop to sleep a lot, and I'd rather just be able to close the lid and be done with it, but after a couple of weeks, it's become habit just to quickly put it to sleep with the keyboard prior to closing the lid.This avoids me having to go back into the NVIDIA Control Panel and changing it back after I wake my laptop back up.

The only other issue I've experienced is with the brightness of my screen. It seems that unless you have HP Mobile Display Assistant installed ( which I got from HP's drivers page ), you simply can't achieve the full brightness your screen is capable of outputting. So strange. You will also have to have the Display Assistant set to run at your computer startup. When you do this, something you will notice at every system boot is your display initially appearing darker than usual ( even though you never changed the brightness level ), and then once the Display Assistant starts in the background, your display might flicker for a second, but then it'll be where it should be in regards to brightness. And it'll be MUCH brighter at 100% than without the assistant installed.

I hope I was able to help some folks experiencing these same issues, and if anyone here has come up with their own solutions to these problems, please let me know. I'd love to just not have to deal with these at all, haha.

8. nowifirange

nowifirange Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, can I upgrade the zbook 17 g1 GPU to a m3000m or any other of the maxwell gpu?

9. The_Overseer

The_Overseer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't have Dreamcolor so I cannot help those who do.

As for NowiFirange, don't quote me on this, but yes I do believe that Maxwell GPUs in general will work on Zbook 17 G1. The reason for this is that I have M1000M, and 970M, and the 970M used to be my daily driver - as well as the M1000M I tried being able to work even in dedicated graphics mode. I believe (again, don't quote me) that the 970M was able to as well.

This tells me that they do have low level support for Maxwell cards onboard the bios. I hope that helps.

nowifirange likes this.
  10. The_Overseer

The_Overseer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did, as well, have something to ask about from Zbook 17 G4 owners. Has anyone tried upgrading theirs to Polaris/AMD cards, like the WX7100 or RX480?

Looking into one and want to know whether that upgrade path is possible.