*HP Zbook 17 Owner's Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by yellownurbs, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ausie

ausie Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings from Australia! I recently purchased a brand new ZBook 17 (non dreamcolor) on eBay. All is well, except for a small imperfection right in the middle of the display. On a uniform image, I can see a donut shaped bright area, almost exactly where the HP logo is on the lid. This is harder to notice on a more complex image.

Being a perfectionist, I decided that this might be a good enough reason to upgrade the screen to a dreamcolor one, and managed to source most of the needed parts, including the 10-bit LG panel, the LVDS (dreamcolor) board, and the cable that goes from the JEDP1 port on the system board to the LVDS board.

The second cable, LVDS board to LCD screen, however, is proving impossible to find! I have two questions therefore to those with more experience than me:

1. What is the part number of the ZBook LVDS to LCD cable? Can someone post an image of it?

2. I did manage to find an elite book cable that almost fits. The part number of this is 6017B0308401 (SC/JA/JA). It has one white 20 pin female and two 50 pin male connectors. Unfortunately the ZBook needs one 20 pin female, one 50 pin male and one 40 pin male connector to work. The second question therefore is whether an elite book color board will work in the ZBook. Doubt it, but you never know! Thanks for any answers, in advance.

2. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Colleague sent me a ZBook 17 with Quad XM + K5100M. Was expecting DC display. Screen might turn out to be a 1600x900 screen instead (587749-3G6 PNL,17.3 HD+ AG LED SVA 60% 200n,AUO 1). It's bizarre, like putting 16" tyre on a sports car.

Does anyone know if this is 40 pin, like the normal TN FHD screen? (got a spare FHD panel somewhere I hope to swap it in).

3. rdavlets

rdavlets Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

Does anybody know, is there any heat problems with the HP Zbook 17 G4? I am going to swap my Thinkpad P51 to HP Zbook 17 G4, Because tinkpad has issue with the heat. It is heat up very quickly and CPU throttle. I did not find any stress test or any other information about the 17g4. So if anybody have one, can you please post some screenshots with the stress test(Prime95 + FurMark) and CPU\GPU temperature(HWinfo).

Thanks.

4. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, did you contact Lenovo for service? Did you try undervolting the CPU? I have my voltage offset at -0.140. There is no overheating problem nor throttling on my machine, and I have the hotter running Xeon E3-1535 v6.

5. rdavlets

Reputations:
    I contacted with lenovo. First time they have repasted it and replaced thermal pads. After 2 days it again begin to thermal throttle and heats up to 100 Celsius degree.in my humble opinion undervolt it is not the proper solution, i bought the laptop for 3.5K+$. good specs and i need to undervolt? I bought workstation laptop for performance. So i am not agree with it.

Currently i am waiting for heatsink replacement. But i am almost sure, that it will not resolve the issue. :( But i will give a try.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. rdavlets

Reputations:
    Now i am just looking for alternatives. and after the bunch of reviews, i am interested in hp zbook 17 g4. But i couldn'y find any information about the thermal under the load.

7. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah well, I see your point. I would be upset as well if my CPU hit 100°C. I hope you find a suitable replacement.

8. rdavlets

Reputations:
    I also hope it. As far as i understand almost all modern laptops, have such issue... Thinkpad P51, P71. Dell precision and etc. But i couldn't find any suitable information about the Zbook 17 G4 and i hope that some body in these thread will reply with their experience. :)

9. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi peeps sorry about the late delay. I might be the only person alive who has got a fully loaded zbook 17 g4 and can with all my confidence tell you that they are rock solid amd have zero heat issue. I have literally pushed mine to the edge with software. And it is right on. If there is a certain benchmark you want me to provide for you i will do it no problems at all.

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  10. rdavlets

Reputations:
    Hi, finally somebody who have one. :)
    It will be awesome if you could run Prime95 and FurMark simultaneously (30 minutes) and make screenshots with HWinfo64 sensors info. I understand that it is just syntetic and not realistic loads, but it at least it will show difference with other laptops.