*HP Zbook 17 Owner's Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by yellownurbs, Apr 28, 2014.

1. nords41

nords41 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your answer. How then the new Dell Precision do support displayport 1.4? Through the separate dedicated mDP connector? It's surprising that such a connector is not added to the new G4 ZBook station.
    Can I attach an external monitor with the connector of DP 1.4 to G4 ZBOOK?
    http://cee.benq.eu/product/monitor/sw320/specifications/

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, the Precision's have a dedicated mDP connector.

You probably could connect a BenQ SW320 to the Zbook 17 G4, but you would likely not be able to run it at 10-bit color at 4k@60hz. In this case the precision makes more sense.

Another option (if you are more daring) would be to get a Pascal Quadro desktop card (P1000 or better) and put it in an eGPU. That would give you four displayport 1.4 ports, far better than any laptop can do right now. I did something similar with a Zbook 17 G3 + Akitio Node + GTX 1070, and you essentially get whatever output ports the graphics card is capable of without any limitations.

nords41 likes this.
  3. nords41

nords41 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is a great option! Many thanks to you again!

4. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi all -- long time no post but I've been lurking here and would like to run something by you folks. looking to replace a 2011 era pavilion 17" laptop with core i7 sandy bridge hardware. Used for photo editing with Lightroom, and a catalog of about 8,000 photos. Haven't paid much attention to the laptop industry since then. Anyway, is my observation correct that the high performance 4-core processors are just not to be found in the consumer sector anymore, except in gaming platforms? That is why I am here, actually -- it appears that in order to get real performance one needs to consider the likes of a zbook 17 G 3 or 4, where one can configure for a pair of 7200 rpm HDDs plus what appears to be one or more m.2 SSDs ("mini card").

my other observation is that HP's business notebooks appear to have good displays -- unlike Dells which I see are rather pathetic in terms of color gamut. thanks for listening

5. xTesla1856

xTesla1856 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For photo work I'd shop for a used G2 with the Dreamcolor and a fast processor. 10bit is 10bit after all.

6. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    Has anyone upgraded their GPU to a newer Quadro Mx000M series? Is it even possible with the DC2 display?

7. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You know what guys. I take back all I have said about HP. I've been lied to ignored and treated like crap by HP now. I need my new dreamcolor screen replaced because it has dead pixels in it and I've been lied to about crt contacting me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys - quick question if I can. Colleague's using a fully loaded ZBook 17 (i7 Extreme 4930XM, 32GB, K5100M, DC, dual drives) - it originally had 230W charger. Colleague somehow swapped the 230W for a 200W somewhere (imagine some lucky person in the office has got it by mistake). Would 200W have problem powering this machine? It's just the supply of the 230W is rarer than expected.

9. marton225

marton225 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have Zbook 17 G1 mobile workstation with 200W Slim Smart AC adapter.
    I need to know information about compatibility between Zbook 17 G1 and following HP Docking Stations:

-Will Zbook work with HP Docking Station VB044AV + 200W Slim Smart AC adapter?
    -Will Zbook work with HP Docking Station A7E32AA + 200W Slim Smart AC adapter

Since I already have above 2 docking stations, I would like to avoid buying new one A7E34AA which is part number for Zbook 17 G1 in specifications.

From QuickSpecs about HP2012 Docking stations, there is mentioned:

HP 2012 90W Docking Station A7E32AA
    HP 2012 230W Docking Station A7E34AA

"AC adapter included
    The HP 2012 90W Docking Station gives you an energy-efficient 90W Smart AC adapter for your Notebook PC.
    The HP 2012 230W Docking Station gives you an energy-efficient 230W Smart AC adapter for your Notebook PC or Mobile Workstation.
    These Smart Adapters help guard against power fluctuations with integrated surge protection."

From this specifications above, it seems that A7E32AA and A7E34AA are completely same in HW, but differs only in included power of AC adapter.
    What is your opinion and experience?

10. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    The ZBook came with the 200W "slim" adapter as standard. The 230W adapter was shipped with the Advanced Docking Station 230W only IIRC. The 200W standard adapter will power his ZBook just fine.