*HP Zbook 17 Owner's Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by yellownurbs, Apr 28, 2014.

1. xTesla1856

xTesla1856 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The blinking code I get is 3 flashes while the screen is off, then 5 flashes once the screen is on. According to HP, that means "CPU not detected". Wonder what could have screwed this thing up so bad, there was nothing external done to it, no shocks, no water, nothing.

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    It sounds like power delivery to the processor may have failed. Its possible that something may have gone wrong during the bios flash which caused the power circuitry to run out of spec. It would explain the extra heat and performance problems.

3. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    Case is created, will update. Let's hope that CarePack comes in handy.

In other news, the ProBook 430 G4 is quite a zippy little machine. Also, it feels really nice having something super light and portable.

4. tamarinde

tamarinde Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fingers crossed*

Btw I found all new laptops now are quite good as long as you put a ssd in them.
    Only problem is that these dual cores are not able to handle any serious workload or multitasking.
    Even with our Zbook 17 I am running into bottlenecks with the quad core.

5. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    Yeah, we've come quite far with laptops. The biggest difference I noticed with the little 13" ProBook is how I was able to work for about 6 hours without needing a charger. My ZBook makes it 2 hours tops. :D

6. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    UPDATE: HP is sending out a tech to our office tomorrow morning. Let's hope he can fix this on the spot.

7. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Best of luck Tesla. I hope it gets solved.

8. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    Final Update (I hope): The tech (who was very friendly btw) replaced my system board this morning and so far, all is good. Installed Windows 10 LTSB and all drivers, DPC latency is back to literally zero. Happy to have this machine back. Now to figure out what to do with the ProBook :D

Also, while setting up the new board in the BIOS, we did all security and firmware updates to the CPU. I hope I'm set now. BIOS is version 1.14 now, I'm not sure if I'll update. Machine works perfectly so far.

9. nords41

nords41 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The thunderbolt 3 controller only supports display port 1.2, so the ports will be limited to that version of display port even though the nvidia card supports 1.4.

nords41 likes this.