HP ZBook 17 G3 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 606320, Feb 14, 2016.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Well it looks like the Dreamcolor3 configuration is finally available on the Zbook 17 G3. Also, the coupon SDSMB15 is now working again for some reason, adding a stacking 15% off of the already discounted price. It brings a basic configuration with the Dreamcolor display to about $2500, not bad. You can also add a Zbook Thunderbolt dock to your cart, for an extra $100, making the customized model probably a better deal than most of the pre-configured ones right now.

2. tydirian

tydirian Newbie

Reputations:
    I was traveling so I didn't get a chance to check this stuff till today. Also, I upgraded to driver version 361.91 (some games had issues with the older version I was running).

1. Don't switch the BIOS to discrete if you do a 980m swap, the screen didn't light and it was super fun to get it back to hybrid.
    2. The HDMI port works great.
    3. I don't have a thunderbolt capable display to test on yet.

3. tamarinde

tamarinde Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do all your display outputs work?

On my G1 my DP stopped working but not sure if its my GPU, Cable or TV

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Its also possible to use the USB display port mode on each of the thunderbolt ports, via a $15 adapter. Supposedly all external ports are connected directly to the nvidia GPU, so if HDMI works the thunderbolt ports should too.

5. tydirian

tydirian Newbie

Reputations:
    VGA and HDMI are fine, haven't tested the TB3 port.

6. CyberVisions

CyberVisions Martian Notebook Overlord

Reputations:
    Since it's been a few years since I actively and routinely contributed to this site, and since my HP HDX 9300 went tits up last summer, after getting a G3, I figured it was time to find out what was going on on NBR and see if there was a G3 Forum. I actually bought a G2 before the year ended, and I just got my own G3 (the G2 was for my Mom; her HDX-18 is slowly going).

While I do miss my HDX's 20" monitor, I don't miss at all the weight of the damned thing. With the battery installed, it weighed around 17lbs.

To be honest, I REALLY wanted a Z Series 840, but couldn't swing the $10k plus for the configuration I wanted. The 64gb/M5000M configuration in my G3 comes pretty close though to what I wanted in the 840.

Anyway, the key specs for my G3 are in my signature, but the other additions are Verizon mobile broadband sim, and the internal Intel wifi adapter, which I'm happy to say kicks ass. I have a Linksys WRT1900AC for my LAN, and was going to buy a USB adapter like I did with my old systems, but the store happened to be out of them before I had a chance to try out the internal adapter. Mine averages around 800mbps+ on my 5ghz band.

Glad to see there's some interesting content here; my old HDX Forum literally had to break into 2 forum threads, as we got pretty ridiculous with upgrades and documenting everything online.

7. SEN69

SEN69 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Has anyone tried installing a m.2 2242 SATA SSD in the second m.2 slot?

I tried but the it was not recognized. Made me wonder if the current BIOS doesn't have it engaged yet or something like that.

Thanks for your time.

8. yellownurbs

yellownurbs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where the CTO (custom configuration) page is for the Zbook 17 G3? Thinking about ugprading my Zbook 17.

9. Kollya

Kollya Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi fellow ZBook owners, a question for you:

I have ZBook 17 G3 (with rare FirePro W6150M and bad angles 1600x900 matrix, no SSDs yet) and now I'm about to buy two M.2 SSDs. Both of them will be either Samsung 950 Pro or OCZ/Toshiba RD400.

Do both of M.2 slots support NVMe mode? Asking that because I've heard that at least one of the M.2 SSDs should be AHCI, not NVMe.

UPDATE:
    As I have found out, there IS possible to use both M.2 slots for PCIe/NVMe drives. But it's NOT possible to have PCIe/NVMe drive in secondary M.2 slot if primary M.2 slot has SATA drive.

P.S. I'm going to buy OCZ (Toshiba) RD400 drives. To me they look better than Samsung drives. Performance (Samsung 950 wins some tests, some looses), access times, MLC memory. Probably RD400 should be compared to not-yet-available-for-purchase SM961, but I don't want to wait a couple of months.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  10. SEN69

SEN69 Newbie

Reputations:
    What drives are compatible in the secondary M.2 slot?

My primary currently is NVME btw.

Cheers