HP ZBook 17 G3 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 606320, Feb 14, 2016.

1. speakerdamage

speakerdamage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Artkidtek
    I've sent the 950 Pro back and ordered the SM951 NVMe OEM version (MZVPV512HDGL) instead.
    It's (approximately) the same SSD module HP uses, branded as HP Zturbo drive.
    Just installed it, and it works like a charm.
    Read and write performance are on spec, according to the CrystalDiskMark benchmarks.
    However slower than the 950 Pro, but fast enough (2.150Mb/s read, and 1.550 Mb/s write).
    Booting up is normal again.
    No extra drivers needed.
    Happy now!
    It really is a driver problem as I did describe earlier.

Hope this helps . . .

Kind regards,

Sander

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  2. tydirian

tydirian Newbie

Reputations:

Has anyone done this successfully with any of the other Zbooks? I was thinking of doing this exact thing. Grab a 17 G3 and maybe keep the low end M1000M card if it used the same cooler as the M5000M and then drop in a 980m. I hate to drop an extra $800 for the M5000M when I wouldn't really use the thing for anything more than an occasional game or some Adobe CS work.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Supposedly the Zbook 17 G2 could take a 980M, as long as you did not have a dreamcolor panel. I can't find the post in the Zbook 17 Owner's Lounge about it, but I am pretty sure somebody had tried it.

On a similar note, I had considered trying a 970M in my Lenovo Thinkpad P70. Its got the Quadro M3000M heatsink, which should fit the 970M / 980M just fine, but I don't have the extra money right now to spend on a card. Its a shame that Dell / HP / Lenovo don't just rebrand their workstation laptops as high end gaming laptops. I think Dell proved it about 10 years ago with the Inspiron 9400 / Precision M90 that such a lineup can sell well in both markets.

4. tydirian

tydirian Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information. I found a 17 G3 with the 6820 and a M3000M that was cheaper than the customizable model I was looking at with the cheaper GPU and I confimed that the M3000M-M5000m all have the same heatsink/fan combo so I grabbed it. The M3000M is about equal to the current gaming laptop I have so worse case it does the same as what I have now, new job and IT uses HP laptops so I can get away with having my own if it blends but not my razer. I am going to order a 980m and see if I can swap it, I will let you guys know if it works.

5. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Cool. The M3000M is not a bad performer. It has the same memory bandwidth as a 980M and is not significantly underclocked like previous Kepler Quadro's were. The Quadro drivers can lag behind the Geforce driver, however, so recently released games may have issues at first.

I think another fun upgrade path would be to go from a Firepro W6150M to mobile Polaris once they are released. Heck, AMD might release a full mobile Polaris Firepro variant to compete with the M5000M anyways. If they did, HP / Dell would likely add it to their workstation lineups. The great thing about the AMD cards are you can load the standard Radeon driver, and get all of the game specific tweaks needed for current titles.

6. tydirian

tydirian Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered a GTX 980m that should be here next week, probably a few days after the laptop. If it works I am going to just pull and sell the M3000M. I have had bad luck with my last few AMD cards so I have stayed away from them.

7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Yup, and it is being shipped right now.

8. tydirian

tydirian Newbie

Reputations:
    Success, I have my new Zbook 17 G3 working with a GTX 980m. I wrote up some notes from the install in case anyone else wants to try it. Here are the system specs in case anyone cares.

[​IMG]

Here is the inside after pulling the bottom cover (you need a T8 driver). You only need to loosen the eight numbered phillips screws on the plates with the heat pipes.
    [​IMG]

Then you should see this, CPU on the left and GPU on the right.
    [​IMG]

The 908m next to the m3000m for comparison.
    [​IMG]

After swapping the cards I cleaned the old heatsink compound and put some new stuff on there, made sure the heat tape all lined up properly and then put it back together. At this point you should see the device in device manager as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" or something similar and all that is left is gettting the driver installed (see notes section for instructions).

Notes

1. If you are running bitlocker you may want to disable before you do the swap, you will have to put your recovery key in to get the system to book after the GPU swap. If you have to swap back for some reason this will be a pain.

2. If you are running Windows 8 or later you will need to disable DSE to install a modded graphics driver. You have disable DSE every time if you follow most procedures online (reboot a few times to try to get the driver working) and it is a pain. Here is how to disable DSE permanently (at least until you are done and re-enable)

Run cmd.exe as administrator and enter the following commands

bcdedit /set testsigning on
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    3.You will probably need to modify an NVIDIA driver if your laptop doesn't ship with the card as a stock option (obviously the Zbook doesnt but you could use these directions for other systems as well). All you are doing is adding the hardware ID from the device to the .inf file with the proper GPU ID so it knows what to install, pretty straight forward and you are not running a driver that someone has modified the code for.

Here is a good walk through on how to update the .inf file so the driver will install.
    How to Modify NVIDIA Notebook Driver .INF Files
    4. Other tools that are useful when doing this.

DDU this is good for uninstalling old NVIDIA drivers or driver versions that don't work properly and wont uninstall (I had this problem with driver 368.22)
    HWiNFO64 good tool to look at your hardware, it will show you details about your GPU before the drivers are installed.

triturbo and win32asmguy like this.
  9. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Wow, that is great! Thanks for trying the swap out. It looks like its not too complicated. By any chance you tried seeing if dedicated graphics mode still works in the bios, and if external displays can still be used via the TB3 / HDMI ports?

10. mjeffreson

mjeffreson Newbie

Reputations:
    ChanceJackson likes this.