HP ZBook 17 G3 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 606320, Feb 14, 2016.

1. nl_dave

nl_dave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool, same specs as mine although I have 2x8GB.. Which screen exactly and why? Don't forget the 40pin cable, mine just arrived out of China

2. Lifecast

Lifecast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I have the 17” G3 with the 1080 screen which I believe is the 30 pin. Have you all experienced an upgrade to the 4K panel from the 1080 30 pin screen? I’m going to purchase the 980m again and might as well go to 4K if it already has been done.

3. nl_dave

nl_dave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To my understanding you also need a 40 pin cable IMG_20200722_184713665.jpg if you want 4K, its called an UHD cable after all. My interest is about 120, 144 or 240 fps though. Not only for (3D) gaming but also just for general use. I think it's much better to watch a screen which supersedes my current original CMN1738 (review example https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-17-7700HQ-GTX-1050-Ti-FHD-Laptop-Review.232170.0.html )

AUO509D is a 240 Hz panel being reviewed here; https://www.notebookcheck.net/Aorus...treme-performance-extreme-noise.445964.0.html .. Overall a quite good panel although problably just a tad too dim (250 cd/m² is not really something to rave about)

Then there is the AUO409D which is a 144 Hz panel being reviewed here https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...0H-RTX-2080-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.410959.0.html for example (its not the only review but performance across the different laptops do not differ a lot, as you would expect from a display panel)

The CMN175C also 144 Hz which has my attention, reviewed for example here https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...n-Core-i7-and-GeForce-RTX-Combo.478416.0.html

And last but not least, I mentioned it before. The CMN175D (panelook reference missing?) 144 Hz reviewed here; https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Om...ing-with-some-small-limitations.432964.0.html or here https://laptopmedia.com/review/hp-o...h-gen-intel-cpus-inside-a-very-strong-laptop/ .. I think these specs are pretty good but..

The list with possibilities goes on and on. I even wonder if its possible to achieve G-sync in any way with one of those panels. Nvidia Optimus is not active on our laptops with some laptops this is the problem that G-sync cannot work. But I don't know what other requirements are needed to achieve G-sync capabilities (driver hacking? :x ). Should be automatically possible? => http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-omen-15-and-17-owners-lounge.808312/page-14#post-10930955 .. Difficult to find the real holy grail of the high refresh rate displays. Not sure what to do yet. Maybe going for CMN175D after all.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  4. Christian Olivier Andogui

Christian Olivier Andogui Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi ! (Sorry if my english is not perfect)

I noticed there are not many differences between ZB 17 G3 and G4 that's why I've done this :

I recently buy a hp ZBook 17 G3 (i5, 8gb ram, 500 hdd, quadro m1000m, hd+) on ebay for $400. Then I bought a compatible board for G4 (xeon e3 1535 v6, but bios password) for $150, a G4 quadro cooler ($25) + a radeon Rx 480 4gb overclocked mxm ($150). I'm still waiting for the shipping (weeks since I'm in Madagascar) but I plan to upgrade the G3 hardware with the G4 ones.

I will share results and pics. It could be a solution for those planning to use Pascal gpu on G3 if G4 heatsink is compatible since the last was design to support Pascal GPU.

I also plan to upgrade the screen later to get a faster so I'm waiting for advices of those who actually made it.

5. Bonzomadrit

Bonzomadrit Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi
    Did you tested it ?

6. Christian Olivier Andogui

Reputations:
    ........................................................................................................................................................................................

I received my purchase and I can confirm a few things :
    1. HP ZB 17 G3 and G4 use the same chassis/case
    2. Their motherboard/heatsink/fan/PSU are fully compatible (I mean they fit in the same chassis; no mod needed)

Unfortunately, I encounter some issues with the AMD MXM GPU: it seems DOA. And I have another problem with the G4 motherboard: I can't find hybrid graphic settings in Bios. The motherboard works perfectly, I manage to remove the bios password but when I plug a dGPU, laptop boot but with a black screen. It seems I can only this board without dGPU or someone has a solution to bypass this problem

7. Ahweeuhl

Ahweeuhl Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, i've been few projects that I haven't had the downtime to install. But I had some time today and it looks like i Bought the 30 pin cable and not the 40 pin. I swore I bought the 40 pin, but- i guess not. So i'll have to order the right cable :mad:

8. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The reason you are not seeing hybrid in the bios is mpre than likely because you are using a dreamcolour screen. If you have one of these it will automatically switch dedicated and not accept any other option

9. Christian Olivier Andogui

Reputations:
    I don't have a dreamcolor screen. It's a regular panel HD+ not really exciting. In fact I noticed that the missing Graphic option in bios was present in the g3 with the quadro m1000m onboard, but it disappeared also when I tried to install the radeon rx 480 on it. I think the same thing happened with the G4. I'm not sure anymore if the rx 480 is dead or just incompatible with my system.

Now what I don't understand is : why the g3 boots with the radeon rx 480 up to windows (even if you can't see it in devices manager), but the g4 shows me a black screen on boot when I use the rx 480 or the quadro m1000m

10. Ahweeuhl

Ahweeuhl Newbie

Reputations:
    just an update, i did upgrade my M3000M to the p4000. It was successful. Hardware wise, make sure you get exttra thermal pads and also don't forget the XBRACE. i forgot it and had to pop it off from the old GPU

i went into the bios,selected hybrid mode. i modified my .inf file
    i modifed release 452.06 from nvidia,

modified .inf file.

THE ASSUMPTION HERE IS THAT YOU HAVE A G3!

THIS WAS INSERTED INTO NVBL.INF

[STRING]
    NVIDIA_DEV.1BB7.80D6.103C = "NVIDIA Quadro P4000"

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...17134]?

%NVIDIA_DEV.1BB7.80D6.103C% = Section060, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB7&SUBSYS_80D6103C