HP ZBook 17 G3 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 606320, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone got a spare 4k dreamcolor screen I can buy off them

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. Lifecast

Lifecast Newbie

Reputations:
    Just ordered a 1060 mxm since you all brought it to my attention. I’ll let you know how it goes, coming from China takes a week or so.

I checked the card and is exactly like my 980m minus the extra 2gb chips so should line up perfectly.

marcelvn and Padraig O Cuinn like this.
  3. marcelvn

marcelvn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looking foward to hear more about this. Could you share exactly what 1060 did you order?

I have a zbook G3 m1000m with an 1600x900 awful display.. If a 1060 upgrade os really possível, I may give It a try

4. Lifecast

Lifecast Newbie

Reputations:
    I have two ZBook 17 G3’s. One with 1600x900 and one 1080x1920. They both would be the same as far as upgrading the video cards. I have installed a GTX 980m MXM that I got on eBay on the 1600x900 and on the 1080x1920 installed the GTX 1060. The 980m replaced was straight forward swap. The heatsink cutouts were exact fitting for the 980m card. However the 1060 card had a little bit different memory and chips near the memory that were different. So one of the chips were not cut out in the heatsink. Which would leave the heatsink a little off. However the heat sink uses thermal pads at that area. So all I did was the one chip that was not cut out I did not place a thermal pad on it so the chip is closer to the heatsink. It’s not the best setup, probably the best is to dremel the heatsink to fit snug but I chose to just leave out the thermal pad. Installed the card and see if it would work. I’ve been using it for several months and playing gta v and etc and it’s running fine. I’ve noticed for example 980m vs 1060 about 20fps difference. 980m about 70 to 80 FPS and 1060 about 90 to 100 FPS on ultra.

GTX 1060 6gb MXM 3.0 Type B
    GTX 980m 8gb MXM B N16E-GX-A1

marcelvn likes this.
  5. marcelvn

marcelvn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thansk for the great and detailed info.

Did you need to mess with vbios modifications on your 1060? The card I am looking is sold as compatible with these (no HP models mentioned):

Dell Alienware M17X(R4,R5) M18X(R2,R3)

Dell Alienware 17 (3D 120Hz screen) , 18 (3D 120Hz screen)

Clevo P150SM P157SM P170SM P177SM P150SM-A P157SM-A P170SM-A P177SM-A

Clevo P370SM P375SM P370SM-A P375SM-A P377SM-A P570WM

MSI GT62 GT70 GT72 GT73 GT75 GT80

The 17 G3 Zbook's heatsink is standard for nvidia cards, so I believe I may run in the thermal pads issue you mentioned.

I am a bit unsure about the display (LVDS x eDP), dont know if I need to upgrade the display to get a Pascal card (10xx) working.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  6. nova.ace47

nova.ace47 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry - I didn't get notification of this. If you're still interested the screw pattern on the screen was a straight match so no problems there. You do have to pull the screen bezel off which is a little harrowing as it is glued/plastic retainered onto the screen and back. My bezel was already broken so I had a new one to put on. The LCD from the Omen has a 40 pin connector which is why I had to use a different cable because the 1600x900 is the 30 pin.

In order to swap the cables you have to open the bottom and the routing is a bit of a pain, you have to fully detach the screen hinges but its not too much of a problem. I found the HP service manual online and that helped with some of the teardown steps. I wish I had taken pictures of the whole process but I was so excited to have it working I forgot to.

7. alienb

alienb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Gents;

Locally there's a Zbook 17 G3 with a Dreamcolor, 64gb of ram, 512gb nvme ssd.......and integrated video for sale for $600. It's as-new in box and he says he hasn't even turned it on. Warranty has a year left on it.

What's the possibility of getting an add-in card to make this thing not a big turd? I have a 15 g3 with the M1000M in it that I used to use for work, it's pretty beat up and I wouldn't even mind cannibalizing it for the card, if I can.

Thoughts? Info?

I think the 16gb DDR4 DIMIMS are probably worth it just for resale alone, and I'd get a mostly-free laptop with the Dreamcolor...(I have 32gb in the 15g3 I can move over already, plus nvme)

8. alienb

alienb Notebook Guru

Reputations:

So turns out this one DID NOT have the Dreamcolor but has a M5000M pre-installed.

Got it for $500 and an hour long car ride, had never even been turned on..