HP ZBook 17 G3 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 606320, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Keep in mind what I said earlier about the G2's refusal to accept a 980M. Quite a few of these systems have some weird whitelisting behavior, and (at least with the G2s) the dreamcolor models had more issues due to not having the option to disable optimus.

2. Koniptn

Koniptn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, but I'm hopeful because of the architecture match.

The previous issue I had with dream color was trying to replace a keplar card with a Maxwell. It would work without drivers and uefi enabled.

I have suspicions that FeatureBytes in the UEFI may play a role in what cards work. I'm not sure why. Pure speculation.

I'm going to try to mod the FeatureBytes and see if I can get the 970m to work.

I'm also going to try with and without UEFI. And I'll try to find a HP vBIOS to flash on to the 970m. I know someone succeeded in doing that with a Dell card and the card still functioned for them in their HP laptop.

3. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you have any info on featurebyte modding? I tried looking into this a while back and couldn't find ANYTHING. I have a dreamcolor display on my G4 that was added afterwards but I can't install the dreamcolor calibration utility on the system due to the featurebytes not indicating DC support.

4. Koniptn

Koniptn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sadly I don't. I was just going to dump the ROM and start cracking at it until I figured it out.

But I had to send the laptop back. Was perfect in every way, except it had a broken DIMM slot. I paid 940 dollars. Not buying something with broken hardware for that much money.

5. phomuabay

phomuabay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi all,
    i want buy gtx 1060 or p3000 for my zbook 17 g3 but not sure if it works .
    Has anyone ever tried mounting 1060/1070 or p3000 / p4000 for zbook 17 g3?

6. nova.ace47

nova.ace47 Newbie

Reputations:
    120hz LCD Panel Upgrade in Zbook 17 G3

I was recently able to put a 120hz LCD from and HP Omen Gaming laptop (17-an012dx) in my old G3. It's a 1080p IPS panel (which is a nice upgrade from the 900p TN that this laptop had in it). The only hitch that I ran into was that in my research online I mislead myself into believing that the 900p screen used a 40 pin connector, it in fact uses the 30 pin. I was able to find a 40 pin replacement cable from what I assume was a DreamColor equipped G3, which fit perfectly into both the laptop and the new screen.

Here are the part numbers:
    Omen LCD Panel 1080p 120hz 40 pin: 939308-001 (this is the part number listed on the blisscomputers.net website that I ordered it from)
    40 Pin HP cable: DC02C00CA00 (from ebay)

The M5000M can't drive the screen at 120 fps reliably but hopefully I will be able to swap to a Pascal MXM in the future when they are not ridiculously expensive.

[​IMG]

7. Lifecast

Lifecast Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for this, Is this a straight forward swap where all screws match? If you could give a brief instruction how you switched it out also thanks. I have two 17 G3's, one with the 1600x900 with a GTX 980M and one with the 1080 has a Qaudro M3000 . Ill be looking into doing this my g3 1600x900 version and I hope it can drive the 120hz. Im also gonna upgrade my G3 with the 1080 to a 980M and would like to make it also IPS but Im not sure about that route if noones done it yet. I know the 1080 is the 40pin and the 900 and 4k are both 30 pin.

Both with GTX 980M and IPS 1080 would be sweet.

sorry I keep editing as I keep thinking of how im gonna attempt this.. One more thing is why could you not use the 30 pin cable that was already with your G3 for the 1600x900 panel?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  8. Lifecast

Lifecast Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently just upgraded my 17 G3 to a 980M, from what I understand all the card above a 980M are MXM A which is not the right form factor. I maybe wrong but I could not find anything about a 1060 or above working. If you can find a MXM B 1060 or above it might need chassis modding and heatsink modding and then it might also have driver and voltage problems. This is just what I briefly gathered and also since someone attempted the 980M upgrade and was successful, I also just went with what I knew worked. So as far as I know 980M is the highest plug in play with minor driver mod that works. Also do you have the DreamQuest panel? I dont think the 4k versions can be upgraded to these cards either.

9. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    The MSI Gtx1060 is a mxm 3.0 b card too and the same for quadro cards

10. Lifecast

Lifecast Newbie

Reputations:
    I’ll look into it, if it is the same then I’ll try to upgrade my 17 G3 to a 1060 and let you all know how it goes.