HP ZBook 17 G3 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 606320, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Ted North

Ted North Newbie

Reputations:
    So I get it that Windows-based setting is persistent. It is done once and then the system on every reboot detects the mouse connected and automatically disables touchpad. If so then it is perfect solution for me.
    Thank you very much for your kind help.
    Ted.

2. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not to worry it is great from office to travel use.

3. soodesune

soodesune Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm planning to buy ZBook 17 G4 with 4K DC screen. There is no NC review yet and the feedback is scarce. If there are owners of G3/G4 with 4K DC, could you please tell how good/bad the screen is for gaming and watching video? I heard that modern DC screen is worse than G2 DC in terms of brightness and colors but I wonder if it is any good being compared to the modern home/gaming laptops. What about the response times? I know it's kinda ridiculous to buy a workstation for films and gaming, but the thing is there aren't many decent 17" notebooks out there at all and most of them are gaming laptops with poor build quality, glossy screens and so on.

On a separate note, does anybody know if HP workstations officially supports Linux? I have little doubt that Ubuntu can be installed on any notebook, but I wonder if there are any compatibility problems with proprietary drivers or HP software on Linux.

4. Padraig O Cuinn

Reputations:
    I haven't gotten mine yet as they are still building it up. But I am going to give a review in comparison to the G3 both fully stacked.

Redhat is HPs official professional Linux build. They have their own deb unit.

soodesune likes this.
  5. nords41

nords41 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I looked at the specifications and can not understand why HP has indicated DisplayPort ™ 1.2 in the new G4 laptops with HP Pascal graphics?

link
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-zbook-17-g4-mobile-workstation-(energy-star)-p-1nl44ut-aba--1

1 RJ-45; 1 USB 3.0 (charging); 2 USB 3.0
    1 power connector; 2 USB Type-C™ (Thunderbolt™ 3, DisplayPort™ 1.2, USB 3.1); 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 3 USB 3.0; 1 VGA

This is obviously some kind of mistake .. the Pascal graphics card supports the output of DisplayPort ™ 1.4

6. Padraig O Cuinn

Reputations:
    Maybe for the mobile version it is only 1.2. But I will have a check with the lead techs and ask for you.

7. Padraig O Cuinn

Reputations:
  8. tamarinde

tamarinde Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it a 1575m v6? because I don't see it on Intel ARK

9. soodesune

soodesune Newbie

Reputations:
    So yesterday I finally received my ZBook 17 G4 DC. Today I've already left it at the local HP service center. The problem? Severe backlight bleeding at four different places. I don't have photo, but it looked like this: The guy who uploaded the video says he bought 9 of them and all had the same problem. Given that, I wonder if the local HP service could help me at all. I'm not sure if they can get a spare DC panel and even if they can, who says that new panel wouldn't be defective as well? If the service guys say they can't or won't replace the panel, I'm not sure if I should take the money back or just keep it as it is. After all the backlight bleeding while annoying isn't something you see all the time (it is visible only on black background and only in dark environment). I just don't like using a defective product, buy maybe it's the new normal nowadays?

10. Padraig O Cuinn

Reputations:
    Yikes I hope my one isn't like that at all. Sorry to hear about it. Can you not get them to service it where you are