HP ZBook 17 G3 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 606320, Feb 14, 2016.

1. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Please write more about your model when you test your zbook. ;)

Artkidtek likes this.
  2. Artkidtek

Artkidtek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just ordered my Zbook G3 17in today. I forgot to ask the rep if the DIMM of ram that ships with the laptop is ECC. Does anyone here know?

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you ordered a Xeon Processor, your machine will ship with ECC ram. Mine came with an 8GB SK-Hynix DDR4-2133 stick, part number HMA41GS7AFR8N-TF. I ordered a second stick from eBay for $55, as they wanted an additional $160 for the second stick direct from HP. I will post back on Friday when it arrives to let you know how it works.

4. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    He ordered with Core i7 6820HQ 2.7ghz so it wont be ECC.

Is that true both processor and gpu are soldered to motherboard?

Artkidtek likes this.
  5. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Just the processor. The GPU is MXM 3.0b for the Zbook 17 G3.

I do not know if HP uses a whitelist for the MXM slot but it would be pretty interesting if they do. You have the option of ordering it without a GPU if you customize the machine. You could then, in theory, pick up a heatsink and fan from HP Spare Parts, 970M / 980M GPU from a reseller, then have a nice "gaming" business class laptop.

6. Artkidtek

Reputations:
    I thought about doing that but then I just went with the Quadro m5000m.

So it looks like I have to order my own ECC ram from crucial. Also I'm planning on installing a Samsung 950 pro m.2 SSD. Anyone know of an installation guide that may help?

7. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    The i7 6820HQ does not support ECC. If you need ECC, you must order a Xeon processor.

Installing a Samsung 950 Pro should be easy. The bottom cover has ~7 capsized torx screws. With those loosened, the entire cover comes off and you have access to the M.2 slots. The service manual in the support section on HP's website shows the procedure.

8. Artkidtek

Reputations:
    That's great to know Thanks! So I'm guessing it was the previous generations that had the back cover that easily slid off after releasing the latch?

9. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Yes, the Zbook G1 and G2 series both had a very easy to remove back cover. It was a nice design but I think they had to change it to slim the machine down. It really doesn't add much time to component replacement.

Out of curiosity, why did you go with HP vs. Dell or Lenovo on your purchase?

10. Artkidtek

Reputations:
    I'm converting from Apple and I'm looking for an NVIDIA GPU with cuda cores to take advantage of OpenGL (the talk of the town).

I'm attracted to the M5000M because of the 8gb of vram. The Dell Precision 7710 didn't have a Quadro M5000m configuration on their website. The Lenovo looked really nice but at the same exact configuration as the Zbook I bought today it was like $300 more.

Plus in the video editing world HP has always been praised highly. Specifically the tower workstations z820, z840 etc... I read interviews on blog sites about how professionals making Hollywood movies utilize and trust these HP machines so their laptops must pretty good!

My spec'd out 2011 iMac struggles while using Davanci Resolve and BCC title studio. I really can't wait to put this Quadro card to work. So basically I chose HP because word of mouth and all the discounts they had lol