*HP ZBook 15 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by struselix, Apr 17, 2014.

1. snn47

snn47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My zBooks esc-key is remapped and now provides the HP-system information, with external key-boards the esc-key works.

Does anyone know how to get the esc function back without having todo a reinstall from an image?

2. snn47

snn47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    External controller Hardware on zBooks
    Does anyone use thunderbolt- or express-ports. While I did not find any worthwhile Thunderbolt hardware that work under windows or are worth their price, I use eSATA 1 expresscards to access two 6 TB WD-HDD.

I have been looking for a bootcapable eSATA 3 expresscard controller, but did not find any in Europe, preferably with multiplier support.

I also use USB 3 Hubs, 7 to 10 ports, to connect SATA HDD via eSATA to USB bridges. Not all bridges support HDD larger than 2 GB. If the eSATA to USB bridge does not support drives larger than 2 GB, the drive Manager shows those drives as raw. Using a eSATA to USB bridge that supports HDD larger than 2 GB the HDD is identified. The only problems is that sometimes a drive drops out, but I could not determine if it is fault of the eSATA to USB bridge or the USB 3.0 Hub.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. durylmartin

durylmartin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can get you a hinge cover.

4. RaZZNuts

RaZZNuts Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. slnotebook

slnotebook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you (or anyone else) find out what the "no upgrade bay" option means? Does it just mean nothing is in the bay so that you can always add a drive there later, or does it mean there's no bay at all so you can't add any drive later?

6. Mappi75

Mappi75 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does someone know if this memory will work?

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2133c11q-32grsl

Series Ripjaws DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Memory Type DDR3L
    Form Factor SO-DIMM
    Channel Config Dual-channel
    Capacity 32GB (8GBx4)
    Tested Speed 2133MHz
    CAS Latency 11-11-11-31
    Voltage 1.35v

7. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    EDIT: I found it ... there is a setting in the computer bios under "Advanced" where one can set the keyboard back light time out. Included in the selection list is a "Never" option ...

Quick question for any HP Zbook 15 G2 owners ...

I am wondering if there is a way to make the keyboard backlighting remain on all the time. By default the keyboard back lighting dims after about 30 seconds and I have to either touch the trackpad or press a key to get the light to come back on.

Is there a way to make the keyboard backlight stay on constantly?

Thanks!
    joel

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. slnotebook

slnotebook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My ZBook 17 G2 which I just received came with a LG BU20N. Looks like it has worse specs than the UJ262.

9. Stanislav Tikhokhod

Stanislav Tikhokhod Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, gentlemen.
    Could anybody suggest me a display part to replace the current SHP141C in my G2? The current screen is totally suck in all aspects (obvious tinting, bad white uniformity, bad angles, terrible anti-glare coating and it is really dull in general). Is there any way to "downgrade" it to a good Full HD IPS display?

10. Tjarco

Tjarco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    * NEW DRIVES (Memory/Msata/HDD/SSHD) UPDATE HELP? *

Hello fellow Zbookrs,

Allthough the new thin model looks attractive, I've been loving my Zbook for two years now. I bought it to last, so it's time for some updates as my work load and intensity require some more power. I'm looking for some advice for upgrading disks, as all the drive differences don't make sense to me and I'm sure someone here could point out what will suit me the most...

Currently running
    Windows 8
    CPU i7-4700MQ 2,40GHz
    RAM 2x4GB Crucial - PC3-12800 So-Dimm
    mSATA Intel 530 Series 240GB (C:// with windows and all my applications
    SATA Standard HP HDD 500gb 7200rpm (think it's a travelstar) (T:// with all my documents&files)

What I Do/Want
    As an creative entrepreneur I multi-task between a lot of apps like Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom together with a lot of open Chrome-research tabs. I also play around with music software like Ableton & Traktor... The problems I run into lately is that very big files in Illustrator become laggy, same goes for Premiere and editing lots of pictures in Lightroom... beside that my HDD is running full so I'd like a capacity update, the mSATA C-drive is 60% filled.

Say my budget is sub 500Euro, what would be the best combo? (I just did some googling so am not set on any of the products listed below)

New setup

CPU 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro - DDR3-2133 or maybe the 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR3-1866
    Now for the Harddrives I'm not sure what would work best for me..
    - Changing the 500Gb 7200rpm HDD - to something else HDD maybe even bigger but slower like a 4TB which runs at 5200RPM
    - Changing the 500Gb 7200rpm HDD - to a 1TB SSHD from Seagate?

- Updating the mSATA to 500gb?

So, obviously 4TB could work in my favor as I do use some external disk drives to place older files, but I like to keep my full music collection on board.. But bigger HDD's are slower than what I'm currently running and I think I need speed, or will switching to 5200 with the increase of CPU still become speedier? And/or do I need to upgrade the mSATA SDD as well?

Thanks to all of you!

OWYEAH Where is the Thunderbolt Dock? been waiting since november :-s