HP Zbook 15 G6 vs. Lenovo P53

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by baspacc, Dec 21, 2019.

1. baspacc

baspacc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,

after a lot of issues with (two) Precision 7530s I decided to go for an alternative workstation - either HP or Lenovo. My biggest concern is build and assembly quality, as well as sound generated by the device (I'm very sensitive to high pitch fan noise and coil whine). The high pitch fan noise was eventually the deal breaker for 7530. Turns out I was able to hear ~3kHz pulsating sound that many others do not notice (but an audio spectrum analyser does).

Since I'm fine with RTX 3000, both HP and Lenovo will do. I read there are some serious problems being reported with P53 reg. coil whine, and Zbook 15 G6 has one(!) English review online. I have no way of saying which one is a better choice. I'm sure that Zbook will perform worse (power supply is just 150W). Also, HP lacks side air-vents, so most probably will either be much louder or throttle more. But if it's within reasonable limits, I can live with that. As long as there are no quality issues.

I'd love to hear opinions of people who had a chance to compare these machines or at least had a chance to play around with Zbook 15 G6 (P53 is quite well covered already).

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can browse our manufacturer-specific HP and Lenovo forums here for threads on either model, but yeah, you'll need first-hand/user accounts of these machines to find out coil whine and other issues that wouldn't surface in a normal review.

Charles

3. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is completely subjective (I haven't gotten a chance to see the latest Lenovo workstation notebooks in person), I'd strongly consider the Zbook. As mentioned above, check the Lenovo forum for users with firsthand experience. I can tell you I've had good experiences with recent Zbooks, the earlier Zbooks, and the larger elitebooks from before that - HP has an excellent track record when it comes to build quality and support (at least with workstations).

4. marckus

marckus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the Zbook 15 G6 for a week now and it's starting to grow on me. I had the precision 7510 before.
    The Zbook 15 g6 i have is equiped with i7 9850h, 32 gb ram, 512 ssd + 2tb hdd and the Quadro T2000
    The good: the Zbook 15 G6 is built like a tank and feels more solid that the Precision 7510. You do not see fingerprints on the anodised aluminium palm rest and lid (unlike the fingerprint magnet black rubberised pain form the precision). The keyboard on the HP requires a bit more force to press, but feels better than the dell (this is subjective i think). Keyboard layout is better on the precision. The speakers are quite good (you can turn them up with no distortion). The touch-pad is responsive and ALPS branded. The FHD 250 nits screen is decent, but must be avoided if you do colour sensitive work as it only covers 55-60% sRGB.
    The bad: the cooling system is barely enough and the fan profile is terrible. The fans ramp up quite fast even if the CPU temperatures are at 60 C and make the machine quite annoying. This can be fixed by using Notebook FanControl and creating a custom profile. The default thermal paste is bad and the CPU thermal throttles quite fast. I replaced the CPU thermal paste with thermal grizzly liquid metal and this kept the CPU from going into thermal throttling for a bit longer. The problem is that from the 2 heat-pipes of the cooling system, only one of them is connected to the CPU. Repasting was not enough to resolve thermal throttling. 2 more steps were necessary: firstly by undervolting (only -115mV for my i7 9850h) and secondly by modifying the PL1 and PL2 power limits. Hp has set PL1 at 50W and PL2 at 107W. I set PL1 at 40W and PL2 at 80W and that seems to solve throttling without impacting performance that much. Please note that the latest bios update disables undervolting. After these modifications my Cinebench r15 score is around 1200 -1280. CPU and GPU temperatures during Shadow of the Tomb Raider (max settings FHD) are around 70-75 C and the fans are almost silent.

bobbie424242 likes this.